e-brake bracket and leak (caliper) by camon
Started on: 04-02-2002 01:53 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: Back On Holiday on 04-05-2002 12:12 AM
camon

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2002 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for camonSend a Private Message to camonDirect Link to This Post
I was replacing rear brake pads on my 87 GT this past weekend when I discovered that both my rear calipers were in need of rebuilding or replacing. So I decided to just spend the 35.99 (each) to just replace them. Well I couldn't get the passanger side e-brake bracket off (it is the bracket that bolts fast to the caliper, and the e-brake cable goes through it which gets hooked up on the e-brake lever). Well I couldn't get this bracket off (it kept eating through my torx bits) so I decided to take it to autozone and let them try to remove it when I took the old calipers to get the new ones. Well they as well were unable to remove the damn e-brake cable bracket so now my passenger side don't have the e-brake hooked up (because there is no cable bracket on it).

Well now I have noticed that my brakes are spongy and the inner part of the passanger tire and wheel well has fluid on is (something is leaking). I haven't had the chance yet to rip it apart (because of work) to see if I can locate the leak. Could it be because of not having the e-brake hooked up on this side or is it something as easy as a possible loose banjo bolt or bleeder valve. My main concern of course is that by not having the e-brake hooked up on the passenger side....... could it cause the leak?

I was wondering if anyone has any input on this leak and also does anyone know where I could get one of these brackets (autoparts store, junk yard or a local forum member). I would be willing to pay for it of course but can't find any place to get it. It will need to be local to me (I live in Ephrata Pa).

Thanks for any assistance!!!!!

------------------

Keith
1987 Fiero GT

[This message has been edited by camon (edited 04-02-2002).]

[This message has been edited by camon (edited 04-02-2002).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2002 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post
On the bracket, use a cold chisle and notch the side of the bolt. Then start smacking the thing using the chisle and a hammer in the direction to unscrew it. (If it's still around)

It is very possible to have a leak from the E-brake set screw as well as the line entering the caliper. with new copper washers you need to tighten them up a bunch to seal!

Tigger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2002 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TiggerSend a Private Message to TiggerDirect Link to This Post
Yep tighten up the screw on the copper crush washers but don't over do it and strip the threads in the caliper, it's aluminum. Tighten and loosen it up a few times for it to seat.

Someone had problems with rebuilt calipers leaking recently because the surface was so bad. If that looks like the case take it back.

You really need that bracket for the E-brake and most importantly so you can reinstall the E-brake spring. If you don't have that spring you run a risk of riding on the parking brake because it isn't holding the lever back in the off position.

Fiddling with that bracket I broke two torx bits on my '84 SE just trying to loosen it so I could adjust it's angle, never did get it loose.

When I replaced the rear calipers in my '85 GT I ran into the same situation and couldn't just walk away from it.

After some head scratching I remembered from watching animal planet that primates use crude tools. So I hammered away on the bracket, and a few good hits smack on the head of that torx screw.

It worked

*pounded chest*

The hammer blows to the head of the screw was enough to send vibrations down to break the galvanic corrosion around the threads.

You might find a bracket from someone on the forum, start a thread in the mall. Boneyard would be my next guess. Not sure what cars had that same bracket though. Maybe call a dealer to see.

[This message has been edited by Tigger (edited 04-02-2002).]

RossT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2002 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RossTClick Here to visit RossT's HomePageSend a Private Message to RossTDirect Link to This Post
I just replaced one of my calipers on the rear of my 87gt. I used the fierostore one because it came with ALL the stuff attached and new slide bolts etc...

I too had a leak, it was coming from the copper washers that are on top and bottom of the brake hose that attaches to the caliper.
The washers get groove marks in them I must of flipped mine so the grooves did not match up.

I got new copper washers!! All is well.

camon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2002 03:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for camonSend a Private Message to camonDirect Link to This Post
Well Thanks for the info!
First of all I don't have the old caliper anymore (I took it to autozone for the core refund, bracket and all). I wish I would have paid the whole 115.00 (35.00 for the caliper plus 80.00 for the core) then I could try to remove the bracket....but nooooo...Stupid me.......I can't do that. So anyone from PA (Lancaster area) have a spare or know of somewhere I can buy one (not sure of any local junk yards in my area that have fieros laying aroud). If no one knows of a place then I will take tigger sugestion and post in the mall. Ohhh yeah atleast I still have the spring (although it isn't on the car).

Anyway (on to what I discovered)......
It seems that the caliper itself is leaking.
I tore the caliper off tonight after work and seen it is leaking from the piston boot.
This sucks!!!!

Autozone only had the one in stock so looks like I will need to find one somewhere else.

I seen the one from the fiero store (in there catalog) but i'm slightly confused.......??????
They list 2 different ones. They have one for 139.00 and one for 89.00. Does the cheaper one come with the bracket I seek?????
Also is the 89.00 the price before or after the core charge.

Thanks again guys!!!

[This message has been edited by camon (edited 04-03-2002).]

RossT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2002 03:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RossTClick Here to visit RossT's HomePageSend a Private Message to RossTDirect Link to This Post
The higher priced onE is for the 88 and the lower priced one is for the 84-87!!!

You can not go wrong the the fierostore one.
It has everything (except e-brake spring) attached and ready for your pads then bolt on. The new sliders and new bolts are already pre-lubed!! It also has the e-brake mechanism and bolt (don't overtighten).

They also refund your core charge and send you a notice that they did.

GET THE FIEROSTORE ONE!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by RossT (edited 04-03-2002).]

RossT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2002 03:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RossTClick Here to visit RossT's HomePageSend a Private Message to RossTDirect Link to This Post

RossT

3038 posts
Member since May 99
Also make sure you tell them you are a CLUB member (PFF) and you get the club discount
(5 or 10% off regular price) You must call to get the discount!!
camon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2002 04:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for camonSend a Private Message to camonDirect Link to This Post
Thanks again!

RossT:
I have sent them an email to see if they have or can get the bracket I need. If not then I will possibly go with there caliper if the below procedure is unsucessful.

I'm gonna atempt to buy a rebuild kit and try to rebuild this "remanufactured" caliper I just bought and see if I can fix what the factory screwed up just incase The Fiero Store has or can get me the bracket. If they can't and I can sucessfully rebuild this caliper (get it to stop leaking) then I will try to find the bracket somewhere. If the the caliper still leaks after rebuilding it then I will spent the 90.00 for the fiero store caliper.

There caliper is most certainly worth the money concidering you are getting everything with it (Caliper, e-brake bracket, e-brake lever, and mounting hardware)!

Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2002 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by camon:
Thanks again!

RossT:
I have sent them an email to see if they have or can get the bracket I need. If not then I will possibly go with there caliper if the below procedure is unsucessful.

I'm gonna atempt to buy a rebuild kit and try to rebuild this "remanufactured" caliper I just bought and see if I can fix what the factory screwed up just incase The Fiero Store has or can get me the bracket. If they can't and I can sucessfully rebuild this caliper (get it to stop leaking) then I will try to find the bracket somewhere. If the the caliper still leaks after rebuilding it then I will spent the 90.00 for the fiero store caliper.

There caliper is most certainly worth the money concidering you are getting everything with it (Caliper, e-brake bracket, e-brake lever, and mounting hardware)!

Do NOT try to rebuild it, take it back and tell them it leaks and you needed one like
yesterday! Or you can use it as a core for the Fiero store part.
Your choice!

30+mpg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2002 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post
For rusted bolts that nothing seems to work on, I have found that a squirt of KROIL, then let soak for about five minutes, does the trick! The bolt comes loose when using a wrench.
camon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2002 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for camonSend a Private Message to camonDirect Link to This Post
Resto_guy:

Too late I have already rebuilt it. The Problem with returning it for another one was they didn't have anymore on stock and I was told it could take upto 3 days for them to get one (I couldn't be without a car for 3 days). So I told him to give me a rebuild kit. Well I rebuilt it and it is now holding fluid (if the rebuild wouldn't have worked I would have used it as a core for the fiero store one). After examining the seals and stuff that I took out of the caliper I seen that the inner bore seal was craked (the rubber seal in the piston bore). Well all is now fine (luckily)! All I need now is the e-brake bracket! I got an email from a forum member (Wayne) who says he has one and i'm just waiting to see if anyone alittle closer to me has one (one that I can easily drive to pickup)!

Thanks to all for the help!

PFF
System Bot
Back On Holiday

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2002 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post
I have a beat up one you can pickup sat morning if you want. heres a pic, someone tryed hacksawing parts to get off in a yard, finally gave up. it pulled right off..

this will work no probs, just to get you by for awhile until you can pull one from a yard.

I'll PM my home number.

[This message has been edited by Back On Holiday (edited 04-05-2002).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock