how to put nickel in the fuel pressure regulator on V-6 by trigger
Started on: 03-05-2002 02:37 PM
Replies: 4
Last post by: mindscape on 03-05-2002 07:59 PM
trigger

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-05-2002 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for triggerSend a Private Message to triggerDirect Link to This Post
what is this nickel trick everybody keeps talking about. they said they put a nickel in the v-6 fuel pressure regulator. thanks.

------------------
Honestly officer, I was just keeping up with the flow of traffic. I know there aren't any cars in the area, that's how far behind I am.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
thomas_l

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2002 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thomas_lClick Here to visit thomas_l's HomePageSend a Private Message to thomas_lDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by trigger:
what is this nickel trick everybody keeps talking about. they said they put a nickel in the v-6 fuel pressure regulator. thanks.

Sounds like they're probably slipping a nickel under the spring in the cover to increase the bypass pressure. Never done that but I don't see why you couldn't.

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2002 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
You first have to get to the pressure regulator. This is done by removing the top portion of the plenum. The pressure reulator is on top of the fuel rail and has security torx screws holding it in. (VERY IMPORTANT!!!) Remove your fuel pump fuse and crank the engine over for about 10 seconds to relieve fuel pressure before doing any of this. To remove the torx screw you could use a small chisel to remove the lug in the center of the screw. Once the screws are removed, you can take the cover off. Try not to damage the gasket or you will need a new one. The "nickel" is placed on top of the spring, between it and the cover. This adds preload and should increase your fuel pressure to your injectors. The adjustable regulator has a screw that goes thru the cover to adjust the pressure, but you need a gauge to know where you are at. I don't know what gains you expect from this mod, but I'm sure someone out there will know.

------------------

hugh

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2002 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hughSend a Private Message to hughDirect Link to This Post
Sounds a lot safer than what used to be done(and still may)to the stock pressure regulators.People used to use a socket and hammer to crush the top of the regulator slightly.This increased fuel pressure,but wasn't the most accurate.

------------------

mindscape

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2002 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mindscapeSend a Private Message to mindscapeDirect Link to This Post
A nickel may be a bit much too thick - too much of an increase. I used a stainless steel flat washer that was in the range of 0.65mm to 0.75mm thick. Hard to say because I have a cheap caliper, it was under 1mm though.

NOTE: The amount of increase will be dependent upon what has been done to the engine.

Depending on your engine I'd say try a a thin flat washer or quarter since they are a little thiner than a nickel. You don't want the pressure too high.

If your engine is stock, not bored nor stroked, then there really is no need to increase the fuel pressure.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock