cheap paint jobs? by Spektrum-87GT
Started on: 02-24-2002 11:21 AM
Replies: 17
Last post by: RedGTFieroKCMO on 02-26-2002 09:20 PM
Spektrum-87GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2002 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Spektrum-87GTSend a Private Message to Spektrum-87GTDirect Link to This Post
whats the cheapest anyone has done a paint job? and how did it turn out? my paint is killing me here and i cant afford a good one i'm so desperate i was thinking about using pep boys spray can paint! it would look better than my paint now, trust me any help on doing a paint job for less than a hundred would be helpful... i'm not too worried about a great paint job here, just something that would look better

------------------
87 Fiero GT
1991 Jeep Cherokee

AIM:Spektrum117
And no! i'm not gay dangit!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
giveitup2me

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2002 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for giveitup2meSend a Private Message to giveitup2meDirect Link to This Post
GO TO MACCO...

$229 Presidents special
($279 Normal price)

Its enamal paint, not the best paint, but they do make a niceee paint job and I think the paint does have warranty on it.

So for under $300 you cant go wrong, they also take out the little dents and dings!

Goodluck!

I have seen their work, and it is nice!

[This message has been edited by giveitup2me (edited 02-24-2002).]

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2002 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
I don't know...We had a paint job done locally for $500 a few years back. I went to see it before they started the actual spraying, & the prep work was fine. Finished job looked good too. Upon closer inspection, there's overspray all over the black rubber trim, & now it's spiderwebbing in the front. I should have took it back to them, but they moved back to Acuna, Mex.
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2002 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
There used to be a guy called Earl Shive around here (East Coast) he would paint any car for $99, but this was the whole car, windshield ,wheels, side glass,etc. anything that wasn't masked off got painted. I guess you get what you paid for.

------------------

dcaprio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2002 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcaprioSend a Private Message to dcaprioDirect Link to This Post
I've had a couple of Maaco paint jobs and all I can say is you get a job better than you can do in your garage ( unless you work at a body shop ) for the about the same price you will pay for the paint alone. It won't be show quality but it won't look like it was done with a dozen spay cans either. I have a local guy who will paint my car for around $500.00 so I would't take my Fiero to Maaco but if I needed a quik paint job,well thats anouther story.

------------------
84 coup 117000 miles
86 Gt Fastback converion under construction

85 gt fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2002 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 gt fieroSend a Private Message to 85 gt fieroDirect Link to This Post
Ive painted two cars already and im 17, both of them came out really nice, my nieghbor went ot maaco and hated it and he saw my paint job and he paid me to repaint his, so depends on what you want.

randy

------------------

Rally car, full roll cage, skid plates, light bars, scs suspension, koni adjusters

Spektrum-87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2002 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Spektrum-87GTSend a Private Message to Spektrum-87GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85 gt fiero:
Ive painted two cars already and im 17, both of them came out really nice, my nieghbor went ot maaco and hated it and he saw my paint job and he paid me to repaint his, so depends on what you want.

randy

how'd you do it? car shop paint can? or did you use pro tools?

ssalyers

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2002 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ssalyersSend a Private Message to ssalyersDirect Link to This Post
I just had my '87 GT painted. I paid $800 and I couldn't be happier. People tell me they can't tell it has been painted, meaning there is no over-spray and the car looks like it just rolled out of the showroom. The guy that did it lives across the street from me. I knew he did paint and body work, so I asked him for a quote. What I didn't know is that he did all the work for the local Ferrari dealer! My car doesn't look like a Ferrari, but it looks better than an $800 paint job (more like $1500 or $2000)!!!

--Shawn

[This message has been edited by ssalyers (edited 02-24-2002).]

85 gt fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2002 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 gt fieroSend a Private Message to 85 gt fieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spektrum-87GT:
how'd you do it? car shop paint can? or did you use pro tools?

Air compressor, paint sprayer, paint hose and paint. all in all $250, $150 for paint, $85 for the sprayer, $15 hose. Already had the air compressor.

Randy

------------------

Rally car, full roll cage, skid plates, light bars, scs suspension, koni adjusters

FieroPerformance

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2002 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroPerformanceClick Here to visit FieroPerformance's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroPerformanceDirect Link to This Post
I am about to try to paint my car myself. The guy at Smyth paint center is going to walk me through it step by step. I already have an air compressor. He says I will spend about $350 for materials (including paint gun), but it should turn out really well.

-Charlie

------------------

Mr. Farknocker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2002 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. FarknockerSend a Private Message to Mr. FarknockerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroPerformance:
I am about to try to paint my car myself. The guy at Smyth paint center is going to walk me through it step by step. I already have an air compressor. He says I will spend about $350 for materials (including paint gun), but it should turn out really well.

-Charlie

He's probably wrong. Decent spray guns alone can cost that much. If you sand then spray a primer/surfacer, sealer, base coat clear coat, block the car and buff, you'll spend way more than that in materials alone to get a decent paint job that will last.

If you want cheap and want to avoid the aggravation of fixing runs, sags, orange peel, fish eyes etc., Maaco is probably your cheapest route. You may be able to get it cheaper if you do the prep work yourself. Can't hurt to ask.

Farknocker

P.S. Beware, not all Maaco paint jobs are free of runs, sags, orange peel, etc.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Farknocker (edited 02-25-2002).]

PFF
System Bot
Fino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2002 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoSend a Private Message to FinoDirect Link to This Post
I went to Macco in Lansing, MI and the guy told me he could not get to my car until after Christmas or before January 15th 2003. He paints 30 cars a week (in 40 hours)and is booked up for this year. I wish they would open another store in Lansing.
Fino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2002 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoSend a Private Message to FinoDirect Link to This Post

Fino

812 posts
Member since Jan 2002
Maybe because I spelled his name wrong Macco/Maaco

------------------

topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2002 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
I went to the local Macco shop and got an estimate from them. To do the prep, then spray it, they wanted a little over 600.00 bucks. I was not satisfied with their work. I have a freind that had his car done there, and they did good, but did not tape and mask it good. Results were lots of overspray. I looked around, and found a body shop that did the prep, and shot it with three coats of paint for 700.00. The car looks great, and I am very pleased with the outcome. I will try to get pics this weekend. The bottom line, is look around, you may find a great body shop that will give you a good deal. Remember you pay for what you get, but you could get lucky with a body shop.
Austin

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2002 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AustinSend a Private Message to AustinDirect Link to This Post
I went shopping for a paint job today at Maaco and Earl Sheib. Maaco wanted $1400 for seperate paint and clear coat, door jams, and the inside of the gas cap. I guess it was the best package they had.

Earl Sheib wanted $600 for the top package with a 6 year warrenty. Completely different color and all that stuff and seperate clear coat.

I might Earl Sheib paint my car but I don't wnat to have to take it back to have things fixed and I want my car to look new.

Mr. Bird
From: Under the hatchback of a 1986 Formula, Flavor Country

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2002 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. BirdSend a Private Message to Mr. BirdDirect Link to This Post
100 dollars CND at some cheesy auto dealer, to make a red Fiero black.
MaxDaemon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2002 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxDaemonClick Here to visit MaxDaemon's HomePageSend a Private Message to MaxDaemonDirect Link to This Post
I'm probably gonna go with Maaco myself. My newest (?) Fiero has pretty lousy paint, but I don't wanna spend much on it. What I plan on doing is taking the $299 Maaco special and then a couple/three years from now getting a "real" paint job done. In the meantime all the flaking oxidized silver paint (a pox on GM 80's silver) will be gone.

Vic

RedGTFieroKCMO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2002 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RedGTFieroKCMOSend a Private Message to RedGTFieroKCMODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spektrum-87GT:
whats the cheapest anyone has done a paint job? and how did it turn out? <snip>.. i'm not too worried about a great paint job here, just something that would look better

Cheap? Previous owner said he paid over $800 for this paint job. They painted everything but the glass!! Looks good from far away but is an embarrasment up close. Lots of cracks and pitting, overspray, and now the paint is peeling off the rear bumper, body trime, and ground effects!!! If your going to paint it, PLEASE at least try to sand out the severe blemishes!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock