Started on: 02-23-2002 01:08 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: artherd on 02-25-2002 09:10 PM
jeffndebrus

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2002 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post
Holley Commander 950 ecu module, wiring harness, and software $1,325 (Offered only by CHRFab)

Is this all I really need--plus the N* engine???? What if the N* I can put my paws on doesn't have intake manifold--then where do I start--A carbuerated N*--??

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jeffndebrus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2002 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post
I'm talkin N* here.
artherd

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2002 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artherdClick Here to visit artherd's HomePageSend a Private Message to artherdDirect Link to This Post
Yes it is, Yes it is, Yes it is!

Well, you'll need the complete engine too, and it has to be a '96 or later I belive. Call Alan at chrfab, he's a great guy, total hardcore hot-rodder into anything *insane*

When I last called him, he was working on a *10Litre DOHC V12* for a friend...

Best!
Ben.

------------------

Ben Cannon
88 Formula, T-top, Metalic Red. "Every Man Dies, not every man really Lives"
88 Formula, Northstar, Silver, In-Progreess. -Mel Gibson, "Braveheart"

Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2002 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
opm2000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2002 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for opm2000Click Here to visit opm2000's HomePageSend a Private Message to opm2000Direct Link to This Post
why don't you shoot an email to Howell Engine Developments, Inc.? I'm pretty sure that they make a stand alone engine wiring harness, more in the $500-600 range, or can rework your Northstar harness .

David Breeze

jeffndebrus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2002 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post
32 VALVES!
wcapman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2002 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wcapmanSend a Private Message to wcapmanDirect Link to This Post
Be aware that the few people I have talked to who bought Howell harnesses all had to do extensive rework. They are not designed specifically for the Fiero or things were just missing.

If you want trouble free installation with complete control over the engine functions go with the Holley 950 from Alan. That is if yo plan to run a 5 speed. If you want to go with an automatic go with the factory computer. Lots of good work out there with automatics. I think Superchips even has a chip available. Be sure to pick up all the electronics, such as the TCC, ABS and Pass Key II module.

-85GT Fastback/ N*/Getrag since 1998

artherd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2002 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artherdClick Here to visit artherd's HomePageSend a Private Message to artherdDirect Link to This Post
stock computer + $600 wires and a resulting clusterfsck that dosen't work?

Or $1300 for a race computer and custom wiring harness that DOES work, and works well, and probally ergs out a few more hp over stock?

Yeah, I'd skip that Howell thing too (I've heard *bad* things about it, seems it's a total waste of money.)

Best!
Ben

------------------

Ben Cannon

jeffndebrus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2002 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post
well, I am quite serious about doing this BUT:
1)the engine is new in a crate but does not include intake, computer, wire harness etc.

2)my 85 se is an auto--I don't know how the northstar would perform with this strange little three speed

ray b

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2002 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bDirect Link to This Post
I have thought about a CRR-FAB manafold for a carb and a magniteo that is chain driven off crank or just rigup a distrib the same way!!!!
that seems the lower cost way to go!!!!
or just add a stand alone cranktriger spark BOX and the carb
or buy a blowen N* compleat to get needed parts!!!!
BUT unless hackers have resently crack N*'s computers code the stock CPU is a nitemare
and aftermarket chips DONOT WORK RIGHT!!!!!
HOLLY rig may work jury is still out NOW!!!

------------------
Question wonder and be wierd

[This message has been edited by ray b (edited 02-25-2002).]

wcapman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2002 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wcapmanSend a Private Message to wcapmanDirect Link to This Post
When you pull the N* out of a 3900 lb car, change the tranny gear ratios, put it in a 2700 lb car with or without a manual, the torque requirements of the engine are quite different. Therefore the timing and fuel curves MUST be altered for maximum performance and besy fuel economy. The stock factory chips can not be diddled with. An aftermarket computer such as the Holley can be adjusted in an infinite number of ways. And of all the aftermarket computers, the only one I know that will run the N* is Alan's Holley 950. A stock 950 will NOT run a N*. The timing advance with the crank sensor is wrong.

While I have a factory computer running a N* I am in the process of changing it out to the Holley.

PFF
System Bot
artherd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2002 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artherdClick Here to visit artherd's HomePageSend a Private Message to artherdDirect Link to This Post
Easy:
1) buy what you need elsewhere (Talk to Alan, he can supply it ALL, including a stock intake)

And 2:
change that dam 3-speed out for a Getrag
(or use a caddy auto if you have to.)

General message: alf-ass engineering and ghetto swaps just won't do when we're talking 300bhp here guys... You'll need to take it up a notch if you want to be happy with the result

Best!
Ben.

Originally posted by jeffndebrus:
well, I am quite serious about doing this BUT:
1)the engine is new in a crate but does not include intake, computer, wire harness etc.

2)my 85 se is an auto--I don't know how the northstar would perform with this strange little three speed

------------------

Ben Cannon

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock