Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Dynamat Installed! My experience & thoughts so far...

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Dynamat Installed! My experience & thoughts so far... by blakeinspace
Started on: 02-19-2002 07:03 PM
Replies: 2
Last post by: Mr. Farknocker on 02-19-2002 08:39 PM
blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2002 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
Since I had all of the interior out (except seat and floor carpet) I thought I would Dynamat the car before putting everything back in...

Supplies:
$45.00 for 12sq feet of 3M 'Sound Deadening Panels'
$70.00 for 12sq feet of Dynamat Extreme door kit
$6.00 for wooden Dynamat roller that broke after applying just a little torque. Damn cheap roller.

It was about 59 degrees. I wish it was warmer, bcz I think the material would be a little more maleable.

Those 3M panels were awesome! They are thicker than the DynExtreme and remind of the heat shields you see on the space shuttle. I put those on the rear firewall from edge of floor to the back glass, including the little ledge. That took about 10sq feet and they were very easy to cut and made a virtually seamless install. It looks like tile. I took the FORM out for a run and noticed a much more distinctly muted engine bay and exhaust noise. I will miss the rumble, but not the road noise.

Return and put the Extreme on the roof from lip of front glass all the way to the rear. That took about 11sq feet. Observations about the DynExtreme:
1)Much stickier (tackier) than original Dynamat.
2)Hope the foil backing will act like an insulator in Texas heat. Any opinions pls reply.
3)Though more expensive, it is supposed to be better at dampening.

I used the scraps to cover about 50% of each door and some of the pillars. Since I ran out, I bought another 4sq of Extreme for $30.00. This was supposedly discounted! Dang that stuff is expensive! (and I did not want to wait for mail order) I really only needed about 2 more feet, but I knew that if I didn't buy and install the remainder, that it would eat at me knowing I had missed a few sq inches here and there. I will let me sleep better at night knowing that I didn't half-a$$ it. My darling wife still does not understand. "But honey... I NEED the additional Dynamat..."

PITA to mold that stuff down in those little shallow ridges and dips all over the car. Why are those there anyway? What's wrong with straight metal?

A new road test shows very nice improvement. At 80mph, still with no interior... I could talk to the passenger without having to raise my voice. It was very pleasant. Big sound upgrades coming in future months, so doing the mat now will save me some time down the road.

Total cost? $161.00 (inc tax and cheap roller)
Total sq ft for total roof & back & doors? 26.5
Worth it? Hell yeah... especially if your going to add big sound.

Warning! If you want weight reduction... DO NOT Dyna your car! 6sq ft of the 3M stuff weighed as much as the 12sq feet of the Extreme. I liked the results, but I probably added 25-30 lbs of dead weight to the car.

Any other Dynamat experiences out there?

------------------
If life gives you lemons, squeeze the juice into a water pistol and squirt it into other peoples eyes.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
lowCG

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2002 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lowCGSend a Private Message to lowCGDirect Link to This Post
I had a convertible once,and put some very nice tweeters in it,which made no difference at all because of the noise,now they're in the house.
Your car should be very nice,maybe I'll do the same when I do the headliner.
Mr. Farknocker

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2002 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. FarknockerSend a Private Message to Mr. FarknockerDirect Link to This Post
That's nice to hear (no pun intended).

I used Dynamat under my hood to keep the paint from blistering. I'll be sure to use in on the inside the next time I redo to interior.

Farknocker

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock