Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
   v6 heatshield modified to fix gasket prob.(pics)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

v6 heatshield modified to fix gasket prob.(pics) by fee-air-oh
Started on: 02-17-2002 09:03 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: fee-air-oh on 02-19-2002 09:00 PM
fee-air-oh

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2002 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fee-air-ohClick Here to visit fee-air-oh's HomePageSend a Private Message to fee-air-ohDirect Link to This Post
I have modified the heatshield that goes between the head and the exhaust manifold on my v6 87gt.I still use the heatshield in the same position as before but it is NOT between the head and the gasket.The following picture show the modification process(hopfully).

This first picture shows the heat shield from the engine side before anything was done.

This one shows same from exhaust side.

This is where you use metal snippers to make the first cut.In which you leave a tab with the hole in it so you can use the saturn studs and attach it with a second nut on top of the nut holding the manifold on.

This shows after the cuts are made ,notice how high up the ridge you cut on the tabs,You make three tabs ,middle top ,both side bottom.

this shows tab bent up

this is the bending process

close up of drivers side mod

I'll have to make a second post to show the resest as the limit of pictures per post is 8.So watch for part 2
Lindsay

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fee-air-oh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2002 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fee-air-ohClick Here to visit fee-air-oh's HomePageSend a Private Message to fee-air-ohDirect Link to This Post
here's part two ;
this is the first fitting

from other side

another view
[img]//www.fiero.nl/uploads/Imga0090_1.jpg[/img
backside

close up showing tabs with nuts on them, you can also fit your metal closer at this point ,bent , tap ect.

attached with double nuts on the saturn studs

see the rest in part 3
Lindsay

------------------
stock black 87GT auto TTop

fee-air-oh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2002 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fee-air-ohClick Here to visit fee-air-oh's HomePageSend a Private Message to fee-air-ohDirect Link to This Post

fee-air-oh

140 posts
Member since Sep 2001
Here's the rest:

This is with the other heat shield on, notice how the tabs are opposite of each other

This shows fit from side view

My reason for this modification is to have the manifold gasket the only thing between the head and the exhaust manifold, just like the rear manifold.Also to have the shields still in place for safety .
Hope this helps . Lindsay

------------------
stock black 87GT auto TTop

[This message has been edited by fee-air-oh (edited 02-17-2002).]

FieroJoe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2002 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJoeSend a Private Message to FieroJoeDirect Link to This Post
Nice mod. I just used permatex copper coat on both sides of the heat shield, both sides of the gasket, and on the manifold and head to ensure good sealing. Interesting trick though!
fee-air-oh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2002 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fee-air-ohClick Here to visit fee-air-oh's HomePageSend a Private Message to fee-air-ohDirect Link to This Post
Thank you
Lindsay
fastback87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2002 01:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fastback87Send a Private Message to fastback87Direct Link to This Post
I thought they took that shield off as one of the recalls....Mine hasn't had it since i owned it??
fee-air-oh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2002 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fee-air-ohClick Here to visit fee-air-oh's HomePageSend a Private Message to fee-air-ohDirect Link to This Post
No the recall put the shields/oil deflectors on.Check out this site to see. http://www.michiganfieroclub.org/v6recall.htm

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock