Sunfire seat swap (with pics) by BC-GT
Started on: 02-13-2002 10:51 PM
Replies: 20
Last post by: Dslice on 02-16-2002 04:48 PM
BC-GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2002 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BC-GTSend a Private Message to BC-GTDirect Link to This Post
Got myself a minty set of 1997 Sunfire buckets yesterday. Swapping involves nothing more than changing over the tracks, no drilling or nothing. I know people wanted to see what they look like so here goes.
New and old side by side

New, Installed

another shot

Only had time to do one tonight. I lost the headrest speakers, but gained lumbar support. A very good fit by the way.

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Elenor84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2002 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Elenor84Click Here to visit Elenor84's HomePageSend a Private Message to Elenor84Direct Link to This Post
Nice work BC-GT...they look sweet!

------------------
Lance
Click Image to go to site.

RacinRob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2002 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RacinRobClick Here to visit RacinRob's HomePageSend a Private Message to RacinRobDirect Link to This Post
How much do they weigh? More importantly more or less, or too close to tell? Second can the later model’s interior be put in to add the speakers in the pillar?
BC-GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2002 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BC-GTSend a Private Message to BC-GTDirect Link to This Post
I think they weigh about the same, no real way to tell, don't have a scale. As far the interior pieces go I coudn't tell you. I would think they would just swap out as well. Someone on the board should know for sure though. I am going to miss my headrest speakers Will have to work something else out I guess.
JohnF

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2002 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnFSend a Private Message to JohnFDirect Link to This Post
I see you have power mirrors. That being the case, speakers will go in the doors quite well (window handles won't let in the way!).

Pillar speakers are a PITA! and not necessary.

------------------

You can have all the SPEED you can afford!

85SE
From: Paradise, Newfoundland, Canada (yes, the town is named Paradise!)

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2002 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEClick Here to visit 85SE's HomePageSend a Private Message to 85SEDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BC-GT:
I think they weigh about the same, no real way to tell, don't have a scale. As far the interior pieces go I coudn't tell you. I would think they would just swap out as well. Someone on the board should know for sure though. I am going to miss my headrest speakers Will have to work something else out I guess.

BC:

Looking good! I remember reading one time a long time ago that someone tried to add the piller speakers to an 85 car and couldn't because there was frame metal in the way. Seems the design was changed in 86 to allow room for the speakers. That, and you have to take half the interior apart to do anything with the darn things. The PITA comment from JohnF is apparently well-deserved

You're right though, without the rear speakers the sound is, uh, lacking. My 85 didn't have any speakers in the seats and the sound imaging was positively horrible.

Cheers,
Andrew - 85SE

RacinRob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2002 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RacinRobClick Here to visit RacinRob's HomePageSend a Private Message to RacinRobDirect Link to This Post
What about building a small slim box to do in the corners of the back window that would fit 2 3.5s? I'll try to describe it better. Maybe a box 8wx5hx2d or 3d and then make a U shaped braket that mounts to the bottom of the box and slides under the lip of the firewall interior piece? does this make any sense? yes you would have to take some of the int. out but it would be a neat install.
BC-GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2002 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BC-GTSend a Private Message to BC-GTDirect Link to This Post
I'm going to try and install these speakers for now, they are my computer monitor units at this time, but have all the hardware I need.
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2002 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Got myself a minty set of 1997 Sunfire buckets yesterday. Swapping involves nothing more than changing over the tracks, no drilling or nothing. I know people wanted to see what they look like so here goes.
New and old side by side

Only had time to do one tonight. I lost the headrest speakers, but gained lumbar support. A very good fit by the way.

How much headroom did you lose?
I'd like more lumbar support, but having less than 1" of headroom as it is, I can't afford to lose any.

86se/lambo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2002 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86se/lamboSend a Private Message to 86se/lamboDirect Link to This Post
What is the height difference betwen the two? I would like to have shorter seats in my replica...can you help ? The lumbar support sounds sweet.
BC-GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2002 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BC-GTSend a Private Message to BC-GTDirect Link to This Post
You won't lose any leg room OR headroom with these as long as you use the Fiero seat hardware with them. They look like they were made for the car. When I measured them they were one inch wider at the front of the base then the Fiero's, but it's not noticable at all when they are in. This is not the best pic but it shows where the bottom of the base sits with both seats. I'm 6 feet tall and still have a good few inches before I'm touching the ceiling.

PFF
System Bot
GT-maniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2002 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GT-maniacSend a Private Message to GT-maniacDirect Link to This Post
So what did you do with the old seats ?, I'd really like to replace mine..
GT-maniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2002 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GT-maniacSend a Private Message to GT-maniacDirect Link to This Post

GT-maniac

597 posts
Member since May 2000
So what did you do with the old seats ? I'd like to replace my seats but am not willing to give up the headrest speakers.

------------------

85 WS6 GT partly modified
87 GT Loaded resto project

BC-GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2002 01:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BC-GTSend a Private Message to BC-GTDirect Link to This Post
GT-maniac:
Will probably sell these, if you are interested I could post some pics for you.
Jaei Sun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2002 03:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jaei SunSend a Private Message to Jaei SunDirect Link to This Post
That's Awsome BC-GT!!! What gave you the idea for this seat swap? They look really good!

Now for the big question, Do Sunfires have Leather as an option? If they do I'm gettin a pair of Sunfire seats and my originals go up for sale!!!

------------------

PBJ

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2002 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
one of the pictures near the bottem has our sunfire GT seats in our fiero, does have the factor manual crank up lumbar. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/017850.html
BC-GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2002 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BC-GTSend a Private Message to BC-GTDirect Link to This Post
Jaei Sun:
I got tired of looking at this tiny hole in the passenger seat, wasn't much, but the rest of the car is very very nice. The cost of getting my old one fixed or getiing these was worlds apart

PBJ:--> How come my seats never came with a Caddy motor?

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2002 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
I hate to ask a sorta peronal question, but what's the price for the Sunfire seats? Anybody? The original ones on my 84 are completley shot, I can't afford Mr Mikes. (wish I could!)
GT-maniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2002 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT-maniacSend a Private Message to GT-maniacDirect Link to This Post

GT-maniac:
Will probably sell these, if you are interested I could post some pics for you.

That's too bad about the hole in the passenger seat, unfortunately that's one of the reasons I want to replace the seats as I have a similar hole in my passenger seat.
What does the driver's seat look like ? Can you email me some pics ?

------------------

85 WS6 GT partly modified
87 GT Loaded resto project

Her86GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2002 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Her86GTClick Here to visit Her86GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Her86GTDirect Link to This Post
Mine cost $150.00 CDN from the wreckers. They are a perfect fit and are much more comfortable than the Fiero originals. They are very easy to install(I did mine myself). Well, it did help to use my husbands impact gun on them - goes much faster I learned

------------------

Dslice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2002 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DsliceSend a Private Message to DsliceDirect Link to This Post
Cool, My mom has a Sunfire, Heh heh heh!
I wonder if there are power seats outhere that might fit in a Fiero.

------------------
Rick

86GT
84COUP
http://home.mn.rr.com/gmfierogt

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors