Lebaron Turbo work on 2.8? by giveitup2me
Started on: 02-13-2002 11:49 AM
Replies: 10
Last post by: 3.2SHO on 02-15-2002 12:53 AM
giveitup2me

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2002 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for giveitup2meSend a Private Message to giveitup2meDirect Link to This Post
Hello guys!

Someone abandoned a car around the block from my house and its a 1989-90 lebaron V6 2.3 i think... not so sure...

Well it has a turbo! If I manage to take it off... can it fit?

Its a CHRYSTLER... who knows?

Anyone tried to apply a LEBARON TURBO to a FIERO?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Joseph Upson

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2002 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post
Make sure you can legally remove parts from the car beyond it just being abandoned. It still belongs to someone.

If it's turbocharged it is not a V-6, and if it is an 88 or 89 it is likely to have the mitsubishi turbo which I would advise against using because it is smaller than the Garrett T-3 used on the earlier Lebarons and because I have used one on a 2.8L. I currently run the T-3 on a 3.4L. The exhaust outlet on the Mit turbo is about 1.75 inches in diameter, the outlet on the T-3 is just shy of two inches. You would want to avoid excessive back pressure especially in a turbo system.
It takes a good bit of effort to remove the turbo from the chrysler cars so be prepared with some heavy duty tools.

giveitup2me

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2002 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for giveitup2meSend a Private Message to giveitup2meDirect Link to This Post
Yes It is V6, just looked at it again.

Well imma try to get something going on wit the DMV and see if i can reclaim the vehicle and retitle it to me.

I think the turbo mite fit?

Who knows till I get it in my hands...

Mach10

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2002 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mach10Send a Private Message to Mach10Direct Link to This Post
As far as I know, there has NEVER been a v6 turbo lebaron...
giveitup2me

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2002 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for giveitup2meSend a Private Message to giveitup2meDirect Link to This Post
Unless its JUST a STICKER on the car..The sticker looks dam factory and the engine head says V6..well the plenum...

I dunno its a mystery!

85frankenstein

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2002 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85frankensteinClick Here to visit 85frankenstein's HomePageSend a Private Message to 85frankensteinDirect Link to This Post
I do remember hearing about a 3.0L V-6 turbo in a van, so it's possible but far less likely than for a 2.2L. Just a word of caution though, Dodge was notorious for using undersized turbos in their vehicles to gain quick spool up. If this is not a V-6 and turns out to be a 2.2 (which is by far more common) the turbo is far too small to do much good for anything.

On the 2.2, Dodge used a .42 compressor housing with a .48 turbine housing. This will cause too little air to flow on our 2.8L(maybe 3-4 psi boost tops (edited "before hitting the surge line"), at too low an RPM (3500 max before the exhaust begins to lock up). Great for burning off the tires but hurts performance far too much any performance above 3500.

For an adequate 2.8L, you need a .60 Compressor housing with either a .62 or .82 turbine housing as per the turbo calculators @ Ray Hall Turbocharging. http://www.turbofast.com.au

Before getting too involved, do you homework and you'll save $$$ in the long run.

Edited as marked above to avoid un-necessary flames

------------------
As Alice Cooper once said...

Feed My.... Frankenstein!

[This message has been edited by 85frankenstein (edited 02-13-2002).]

stingant0

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2002 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stingant0Send a Private Message to stingant0Direct Link to This Post
If it is not the 2.2 or 2.5 then it is NOT a turbo. Look for the turbo then. They NEVER put a turbo on the 3.0 v6 (well they did but that was not a lebaron).
85frankenstein

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2002 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85frankensteinClick Here to visit 85frankenstein's HomePageSend a Private Message to 85frankensteinDirect Link to This Post
Now that you've posted it, I do think your right, Stingant. If I remember correctly, it was the 3.0L that had head (cooling) problems. Good catch and thanks for the correction.
lowCG

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2002 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lowCGSend a Private Message to lowCGDirect Link to This Post
In the Bronx,hell yeah,Queens,come on,you can get turbos from ford 2.3 motors cheap at the junkyard.
Did they take the plates with them?
giveitup2me

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2002 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for giveitup2meSend a Private Message to giveitup2meDirect Link to This Post
Yepppppp they took the plates with them...

Its got a flat tire RH/Rear.

Yea you know anyone with a 2.3 turbo take off???

I tried looking here in Flushing by Mets Stadium and nope, nothing......

Gotta check out Bronx someday...

3.2SHO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2002 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.2SHOSend a Private Message to 3.2SHODirect Link to This Post
I had a 89 & 87 Dodge Daytona which had the same engines as the Lebaron. If it is an auto then it's a 4cylinder 2.5 turboI[my 89CS] or a 3.0V6. If it's a 5 speed then it's a water cooled 2.2 turbo[my 87 Shelby] which has more hp[175 to 150]but the 2.5 had 180ft/lbs
[in 1990 it was 210]. I forget what 2.2 had[same or a little more]
There wasn't a stock turbo V6 maybe someone added it later. ps mitsubishi sohc V6 = 140hp.
good luck.

[This message has been edited by 3.2SHO (edited 02-15-2002).]

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock