Chevette Power Steering Rack in a Fiero by wcapman
Started on: 01-09-2002 11:02 PM
Replies: 21
Last post by: 87GTZ34 on 01-11-2002 01:58 AM
wcapman

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2002 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wcapmanSend a Private Message to wcapmanDirect Link to This Post
I've searched all the threads and can't seem to find any info on this. I have a new Chevette power steering rack that I'm plannoing to install on my 85. One good thing about the Chevette rack is it is faster than a GT rack. Less turns of the wheel produce more linear movement of the rack.It looks and mounts exactally like the Fiero except it is 4" shorter on the pass side.

I'm planning to remove the rack support brackets and move them each 2" closer to centerline to center the rack. This will then offset the steering shaft to the centerline of the car by 2". The Chevette rack does not have an angled steering box. AFCO racing has a welding U-joint that will fit on the rack. It's part number 30308 for late model GM 3/4"-30 spline. The standard Fiero sliding steering link fits nicely once you cut off the stock rack end. The existing tie rods have fabricated extensions to make them 2" longer each side.

The hole passing through the outer firewall needs to be elongated about 1" to fit the new offset.

I have a PS pump on the N* so that is not a problem. My question is what does this do to bump steer? Now I should mention that the car has the Held Motor Sports Slalom front end which looks like the inner pivot points for the a-arms are inboard somewhat from the stock Fiero mounting. I think this longer tie rod will improve bumpsteer, but I'm always looking for a second opinion.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JetroGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2002 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JetroGTSend a Private Message to JetroGTDirect Link to This Post
That Held suspension is the Bomb! I just had to post a pic of it.
rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2002 07:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post
The inner tie rod pivot should be on plane with the upper and lower control arm pivots when the wheels are straight. I'll post some pics of a Chevette rack on a Fiero when I get home from work.
Daleford

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2002 07:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DalefordSend a Private Message to DalefordDirect Link to This Post
Chevettes had power steering? "I did not know that" [Johnny Carson] I thought the closest fitting rack was a Ford Mercur.
lou

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2002 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for louSend a Private Message to louDirect Link to This Post
The rack normally used for converting a Fiero to power steering is a Merkur xr4 TI rack because it is the exact same length.
however you will need to modify the mounts and steering shaft union. If you do a little research you can save yourself a lot of trouble because Zimmer had power steering on the quicksilver ( which is Fiero based ) and they offered a power steering kit that was a straight bolt in. I once bought this kit from Jorgen Automotive Corporation http://www.jorgenauto.com/rack-pinion/pontiac.html but they don't have the racks anymore, Zimmer did.
the only other way to go is to get an 88 rack that already has a provison for power steering and use the electro/hydraulic power steering from the GM EV1. This is the same unit that was designed for the Fiero but it uses a speed sensor for variable power steering, this can be bypassed or with the speed sensor module and a little custom wiring .
http://www.michiganfieroclub.org/psteering.htm http://fiero.net/showroom/steering.html
NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 288
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2002 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEDirect Link to This Post
I thought "bump steer" was caused by the rear suspension.
gargoyle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2002 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gargoyleSend a Private Message to gargoyleDirect Link to This Post
I'm just wondering why you would want power steering in a Fiero. I can see the advantage of a better ratio, but with power??
Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2002 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gargoyle:
I'm just wondering why you would want power steering in a Fiero. I can see the advantage of a better ratio, but with power??
One advantage would be that you could use a smaller steering wheel and make getting in and out of the car easier. Not a great advantage but one none the less.

polpot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2002 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for polpotSend a Private Message to polpotDirect Link to This Post
power steering is for girls.
hehe

(if it came with power steering i think you would be trying to change it to manual)

besides, i wouldnt want to tell anyone i had chevette parts on my car

PBJ

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2002 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
Don't want Chevette parts in a fiero? It comes stock with all kinds of chevette, citation, 6000, firebird parts. 84-87 anyways.
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2002 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post
power steering is for girls.
hehe
(if it came with power steering i think you would be trying to change it to manual)

-----------------------------------------

Usually I ignore these power steering posts. I have the aftermarket power steering in my 88 Mera and I love it. If you had it you would love it too. 12.5:1 quick ratio. Way nice to have. One of the best things I did for my car. I see many post negatives about adding it. Too bad you just don't know how nice it is to have.

PFF
System Bot
88-DOHC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2002 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88-DOHCSend a Private Message to 88-DOHCDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lou:
the only other way to go is to get an 88 rack that already has a provison for power steering and use the electro/hydraulic power steering from the GM EV1. This is the same unit that was designed for the Fiero but it uses a speed sensor for variable power steering, this can be bypassed or with the speed sensor module and a little custom wiring .

So for those of us that have 88's, all we have to do is purchase the above and more or less slap it onto the car? I have looked at the 88 rack, and it wasn't readly apperent to me that it had provisions for power steering. Of course it may be that I just don't know what I am looking for (which is probably the case).

As Rodney put it, while I don't mind not having power steering when the car is in motion, it sure makes it a pain when navigating around at slower speeds or turning the wheels when fully stopped (for those of us that don't have stock wheel widths). However, if I could easily add power steering to the Fiero, I would in an instant. It would probably make it so I would drive the car more often as well.

[This message has been edited by 88-DOHC (edited 01-10-2002).]

lou

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2002 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for louSend a Private Message to louDirect Link to This Post
Rodney is right; Power steering is worth having. Had Pontiac put power steering in the Fiero it would not have died prematurely as surveys showed since its inception everyone wanted power steering, this is why it was planned as a late 88 option and was to be included with all 89s.

I did the ev1 ps conversion on an 88 with a Northstar powered Fiero and we used the northstar computer to control the variable assist on the p/s. This car has a N* dash and the body harness has been adapted as well. The problem is getting the parts you need because the ev1 was never sold only leased. The unit IS the one (saginaw) developed for the 88 and on Fiero but has has the variable assist sensor added. I do not know the actual cost because we got ours from a wrecked car that was scrapped. Yes it just bolts on , then you have to make a hole on the front firewall ( were the spare sits) for the p/s fluid reservoir.

rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2002 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post
Here are the pics I promised, sorry so small.

wcapman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2002 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wcapmanSend a Private Message to wcapmanDirect Link to This Post
Everyone has their own reason for wanting Power Steering. I have very large tires on the front and have cranked in a lot of caster. Also my 50+ year old shoulders just don't work as well as they used to. I can't autocross the car and sling it around as fast as it wants to go. And parallel parking is a bear. Check it out. All NASCAR cars have power steering and most circle track cars do, too. Now power steering on a Chevette I question, but I don't know of anyone running 235/50/16's on the front of a Chevette.

And yes, they made hydraulic power steering units for Chevettes.

Thanks for the bumpsteer tips. I can make small rack extension from the ends of the old Fiero manual rack to move the inner tie rods out a little if needed.

My Held suspension is black and doesn't show up in photographs very well. However I like the rotors? Wilwoods?

artherd

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2002 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artherdClick Here to visit artherd's HomePageSend a Private Message to artherdDirect Link to This Post
Hey man, Power steering still not needed over here (at least with 215/45/17 fronts, we'll see what the 225/40/18s do to my arms

I think the 88s are also a little easier to turn.

Anyway, the brakes in that pic are by Held too.

If you're still running the stock (eek) brakes on your car, I'd *highly* recomend these when you put the cammed N* in

They are a very well thought out kit, I'd be using them on my car actually, but I went to a 5x130mm bolt pattern and want to retain as many 'OE' components as I can (even if they're not all from the same 'OE'

PS: get Held's drop spindles too (which I think you have if you have the sallom front end?) they use the slightly biger (and still made) 88 REAR bearings on the FRONT of the car. Good stuff for bigger rubbers.

PPPS: remenber to use teflon lines on the pressure side of the PS, you know the ones

Best!
Ben.

------------------

Ben Cannon
88 Formula, T-top, Metalic Red. "Every Man Dies, not every man really Lives"
88 Formula, Northstar, Silver, In-Progreess. -Mel Gibson, "Braveheart"

87GTZ34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2002 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTZ34Send a Private Message to 87GTZ34Direct Link to This Post
rockcrwl, I don't see the coolant tube there (or is it). Is there any interference when the tube and hose are in place? TIA
rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2002 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post
The pics I posted are not of my car, It is a Diablo replica being built by John Bell. I'm not sure, but I don't think the coolant tube would be a problem. I started setting up a Corvette rack on a spare crossmember. The Corvette rack has the same dimensional problems as the Chevette, but at least the shaft is the same spline as the Fiero. I have since bought a ZF rack from a Merkur. The Merkur rack will need some adapter brackets to mount and the shaft is way different, but the dimensions that really matter are correct. The complete Fiero tie rods will thread right on using M14x1.25 threadstock.

The Chevette or Corvette racks would work fine if the tie rods are extended where they thread into the rack. Extending the outer ends is not the correct way to lengthen it. I haven't looked at what would be required to do it correctly. The Chevette rack is easier to mount, but the Corvette rack can use the Fiero U-joint(shaft still needs to be shortened). Take your pick.

Daleford

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2002 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DalefordSend a Private Message to DalefordDirect Link to This Post
Here's my reason for wanting power steering. I am building a car that looks like a $200,000 Ferrari. It HAD BETTER have PS, Air, etc, etc.

------------------

jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2002 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by rockcrawl:
The pics I posted are not of my car, It is a Diablo replica being built by John Bell. .

HEHE Rockcrawl, I was going to post that there was Quite a bit missing on that Fiero, and that it must be a kit car.

Any more info of this kit car, a URL or such?

------------------

wcapman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2002 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wcapmanSend a Private Message to wcapmanDirect Link to This Post
I have Wilwood Dynalite IIs front and rear with 11.89" rotors. But they don't have gas grooves. Stops pretty good though. And it saves about 20 lbs per wheel.

I plan to remove the HELD and fit the rack up on the bench. When I do I'll cut the ends off of a standard Fiero rack and drill and tap each end to screw into the Chevette rack, which will have male threaded ends once the inner tie rod is removed. Then I can position the inner tie rod ball on the same axis as the a-arms.

I do plan to run the lines to the rear in steel tubing, as that will be the only cooling available. The last jumper will be teflon lined ST STL. and An fittings Natch.

Someone posted earlier that a N* ECM will run a variable speed steering. I'm curious about how that works. The 95 N* has a pressure switch input that steps up the engine idle speed if the PS pressure exceeds a certain pressure (950 I think) to prevent engine stall at idle. But that won't run a steering unit. Is this from an OBD2? I'm going to keep the same function in the Holley 950 by using the A/C request input. Can't hurt.

PFF
System Bot
87GTZ34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2002 01:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTZ34Send a Private Message to 87GTZ34Direct Link to This Post
ECMs from the late 80s had the PS pressure switch input to boost idle when wheels were turned to lock. Also, some early 90s models had the variable effort steering (VES). It has a pintle valve that is actuated by current regulated out of a driver on the ABS module. The ABS module uses VSS input and based on thresholds increases current which reduces fluid flow from the pump to improve road feel. There is also a sensor on the steering column that senses speed of desired change in direction (you know, avoiding a head-on after tuning the radio) to disengage the actuator so steering is full power (easy) in emergencies. (you know, CYA) It obviously was only put on ABS equipped Olds Pontiac & Buick (no cheapies oops I mean chevys). I plan on attempting this when I add my PS. My reading is from the '96 W-body manual.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock