Started on: 01-04-2002 10:30 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: FieroMaster88 on 01-05-2002 03:20 AM
banditbalz

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2002 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for banditbalzClick Here to visit banditbalz's HomePageSend a Private Message to banditbalzDirect Link to This Post
Posting this question for a friend who does not have access to a computer. He has a 84 2m4 with 2.5 and an auto. He has a problem with the exhaust manifold glowing red while the engine is running. Sounds like a lean fuel problem. I suggested changing the O2 sensor, but this did not solve the problem.

Anyone have a suggestion?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
pHoOl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2002 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlDirect Link to This Post
might want to try a search on this, but it's come up before, and one thing that i've heard to check is for a plugged cat converter

------------------
Kills:
97 Neon R/T

AIM: phool88fiero

TTiger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2002 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TTigerSend a Private Message to TTigerDirect Link to This Post
Yep, that's what I'd check first, too. Same thing happened on my ex-girlfriend's car. I removed it, and replaced with a straight pipe.
Tony
AkursedX

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2002 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXDirect Link to This Post
George, I would have to say that it could be a clogged cat. When it gets plugged up it really interrupts the flow. If you want to check this before it is changed, start the car up after it has been sitting for a while and let it run only for like 15-30 seconds. Then go underneath the car and feel both pieces of exhaust pipe on each side of the cat, if there is a dramatic difference, then that is your problem.

------------------

DRH

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 55
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2002 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DRHSend a Private Message to DRHDirect Link to This Post
Other common possible causes are a vacuum leak or ignition timing.
G-Nasty

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 225
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2002 02:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for G-NastyClick Here to visit G-Nasty's HomePageSend a Private Message to G-NastyDirect Link to This Post
An incorrect valve adjust on my 2.8 caused my manifold to glow like a christmas tree light...pretty awesome to look at. Sounds like TIMING issues or clogged cat. Drill some holes onto cat...take a look around...I hear thats where the fiero gremlins live.
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2002 03:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
I had the EGR valve on my 84 that broke and caused a glowing manafold. It also caused high idle tho. Ignition timing and a clogged cat are also good things to look at. Good luck!

------------------

James Essar
AOL IM Name: FieroMaster88
Not your ordinary 88 coupe!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock