Duke Performance Parts by Pontiatic
Started on: 12-28-2001 03:47 PM
Replies: 16
Last post by: erikred on 01-02-2002 11:03 AM
Pontiatic

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2001 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PontiaticSend a Private Message to PontiaticDirect Link to This Post
I know this has probably been discussed a billion times but i need help. I have a Duke engine, what kind of performance add-on's can I do to this engine? I went to the local speed shop and all they could get me was an air filter. Any suggestions?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Kasdan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-28-2001 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KasdanSend a Private Message to KasdanDirect Link to This Post
Duke? Performance? Those 2 words dont belong in the same sentence, the duke isnt strong enough to hold much more power than its already putting out.

------------------
Tyler Morgan, 1986 GT

Aftermarket Power Steering, Rebuilt 2.8
http://www.geocities.com/mtyler14/index.html

fieroburton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2001 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroburtonClick Here to visit fieroburton's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroburtonDirect Link to This Post
ummmmm, you can put NOS on it if you give it little shots like 5-15 15 being the max I think. larger cam, ummm but the best way to get power is to have it well tuned good spark plugs and wires and a holley carb made for the fiero's duke. but for you and people around try not to play with the NOS is like a bomb in a duke I heard
fieroburton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2001 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroburtonClick Here to visit fieroburton's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroburtonDirect Link to This Post

fieroburton

294 posts
Member since Jul 2001
if you really want power check out www.v8archie.com
duke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2001 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dukeSend a Private Message to dukeDirect Link to This Post
Hey Pontiatic,
Don't listen to anyone that says anything negative about the Duke. They have probably never worked on one or don't want to spend the time. I have built a couple of these. I have them bored out with SBC pistons, aftermarket cam, solid lifters, head work and various intakes. They sound and run great. Anyone can swap in a V8. It's a lot of fun to see how much more horsepower you can squeeze out of a Duke.

Duke

johnt671

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2001 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnt671Send a Private Message to johnt671Direct Link to This Post
You can go with an after market coil and ignition system. (I went MSD on my 84) K&N air filter, good exhaust system, headers and cams are also available. Some times you'll see Holley intakes for an 84-85 duke, and a larger Holley Throttle Body is available. Low temp thermostats and fan switches help also.
fieroburton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2001 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroburtonClick Here to visit fieroburton's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroburtonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by duke:
Hey Pontiatic,
Don't listen to anyone that says anything negative about the Duke. They have probably never worked on one or don't want to spend the time. I have built a couple of these. I have them bored out with SBC pistons, aftermarket cam, solid lifters, head work and various intakes. They sound and run great. Anyone can swap in a V8. It's a lot of fun to see how much more horsepower you can squeeze out of a Duke.

Duke

SBC pistons! hats off to this man

Pontiatic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2001 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PontiaticSend a Private Message to PontiaticDirect Link to This Post
Well lets see...im a hs student with limited funds i think a v-8 swap is out of the question...all i wanna do is beat the 120 hp jettas/ricers runnin around. Ill look into the exhaust, ignition and carbs, my dad said no to the cams cuz we already had the engine out and it was a pain in the neck.

[This message has been edited by Pontiatic (edited 12-28-2001).]

fierospeeder

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
User Banned

Report this Post12-28-2001 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierospeederClick Here to visit fierospeeder's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierospeederDirect Link to This Post
i think the max hp is 140.

i might be posting a thread about a turbo 2.5l soon.

MODIFIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2001 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MODIFIEClick Here to visit MODIFIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to MODIFIEDirect Link to This Post
Hello there are many mods you can do to the duke its just how fare are you willing to go. here is my old site that is being upgraded but will take some time yet b4 posting the new link. you will find many parts here but most of the links for other fiero pages or dead
http://www.dukemods.50megs.com/PAGE1.html
Fierobruiser

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2001 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobruiserSend a Private Message to FierobruiserDirect Link to This Post
Funny you should ask. Go to to this site and get directions to our Duke Tech tomorrow morning. www.fieropride.com/duke_tech_day.htm

You can also look at the thread for this in General Chat.
------------------
Notchbacks Rule
85GT(show car)
88Coupe (daily driver)
84 Coupe(project car)

[This message has been edited by Fierobruiser (edited 12-28-2001).]

PFF
System Bot
Bruiser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2001 07:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BruiserSend a Private Message to BruiserDirect Link to This Post
Hehe Borla only does **** for the 2.8, and they list it as FWD as well.

But anyway, can someone point me in a direction for headers for the Duke?

fotofrank

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2001 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fotofrankClick Here to visit fotofrank's HomePageSend a Private Message to fotofrankDirect Link to This Post
Noting is cheep. I'v got a Duke with these mods: Holley TB, Holley intake, Hooker header, K&N filter, MSD6A ignition, MSD GM Blaster coil, Preformance CAT. Nex on the list is a CAM. A lower ratio rocker helps too, on the low end but I belive that the cost, or return on investment is very little for this mod alone. If you want a cam (single biggest imptovment) the cradle can be swung down from the rear of the car and with the rear tire/wheel removed the cam can be changed. (* or so I've been told)

------------------
Peace and Happiness
Frank and his fotoflash, an '84 SE
Member NIFE

mrossum

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2001 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrossumSend a Private Message to mrossumDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kasdan:
Duke? Performance? Those 2 words dont belong in the same sentence, the duke isnt strong enough to hold much more power than its already putting out.

if you aren't going to help, keep quiet...........................

Fierowrecker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2002 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierowreckerClick Here to visit Fierowrecker's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierowreckerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrossum:
if you aren't going to help, keep quiet...........................

Why should we be quiet? We are trying to prevent a misteak from happening...
He could spend well over $1000 and still have a POS Puke that will shell in a few miles...
Upgrading the engine is the best bang for the buck...
Get what you feel is within your budget and skill level, if you still want to mod the Puke, by all means do what YOU want...
You asked for opinions, then, my advise is to upgrade your engine to a six or eight cylinder for reliabillity...

------------------
crash... The Fierowrecker

Mach10

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2002 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mach10Send a Private Message to Mach10Direct Link to This Post
There are 2 major problem-areas in the duke, from my own readings: the block, and the crank. Neither are really strong enough for any serious performance. I've heard rumors of going with the beefier late 70s duke blocks, and machine-to-fitting the rest of the parts back on. That solves th block problem.

If it were me, I would do NO less than a full rotating assembly balance, and finding some nice beefy rods and pistons. I'd make DOUBLE sure that the crank is in ACE condition. I wouldn't over-bore, but rather up the compression a little, and do some major head-work. That should make for some better power, and the motor SHOULD hold together.

But don't forget: HP = Money^2

erikred

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2002 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for erikredSend a Private Message to erikredDirect Link to This Post
People will probably be arguing about the strength of the Duke block and crank for as long as they are around. So many people have told me that the Duke cannot be built because(fill in the blank)is too weak. Every time I come up with a way around that particular part, they come up with a new excuse. Of the dozens of people who claim whatever part is too weak, only one person had a first hand experience with moding the Duke that turned out bad. On the other hand I have talked with at least a half dozen people who have had good reliability from their souped up Dukes. In my oppinion the version of the Duke is plenty capable of handeling over 150hp in a street application reliably. I intend to prove this by building an over 200hp turbo Duke using the stock Fiero crank and block. If I am succesful it will help some owners of the Duke. If I fail then we will know I was wrong.

Any way, how do you want to beat the ricers? 1/4 mile, autocross, traffic light? With your limited budget, you will not be able to build a 14+ year old car that will beat the newer ones in every catagory. What year is your car? Some parts are only available for certain year Dukes. Also, inorder to mod the Duke you are going to need to have some tech back ground on engines. You just can't bolt on much power to the Duke. In fact I think it would be hard to get 120hp from a Duke with simple bolt ons.

You should reconsider a cam swap if at all possible. Powerwise it is probably the single best thing you could change on the Duke. A header would be nice too, but the ones currently available are over $200. Putting on a cheap performance muffler may help. An MSD box should help to, but would probably help throttle respons more than power. Make sure to get a free flowing air filter. If you have the correct type of TBI you could get a fuel pressure regulator from GM, that would give you more tunability and would be a good idea with a cam change.

If you have enough tech knowledge or someone to help, you could easily get 130-150hp by adding a turbo. It would require some fabrication, but is probably the cheapest way to get power from the Duke.

If you want some numbers go to Accelerated Motions web site. They have a break down on mods and power out put for the Duke. They also sell the parts.

Erik-

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock