Started on: 11-13-2001 11:18 AM
Replies: 6
Last post by: Mach10 on 11-13-2001 08:04 PM
Philphine

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2001 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post

i was looking at the asg 5.0 page and noticed something. they show performance #'s up to 4900rpm like a stock 4.9, but under the chart there's a note.

it says their engine actualy makes more hp peaking at 6000rpm but the shift points of the stock tranny limit rpm to 4900.

i know there is going to be a lot of difference bettween a balanced/blueprinted engine and a decent pullout, but if i'm trying to use a manual tranny can i hope for a higher and useable redline too? i know my understanding of it is basic at best. i guess the computer has a hand in limiting it too? a higher useable redline would make this engine that much more appealing.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierocritter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2001 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocritterSend a Private Message to fierocritterDirect Link to This Post
I heard that for the4.9 the rpm is considerably lower than the 3800 v-6. Will the 4.9 bolt up to the stock 4-speed? Is it able to hold the power?
Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2001 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
for me it's all reading but it should. i'm reading of people with much more hp using them.
fierocritter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2001 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocritterSend a Private Message to fierocritterDirect Link to This Post
But it does bolt right up, no fancy conversion plates?
mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2001 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierocritter:
But it does bolt right up, no fancy conversion plates?

That's correct.

------------------
Roy :D
Just another stock Blue 87 GT
Suncoast Fieros

rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2001 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post
After you hear the sound the stock engine makes above ~5000 rpm, you won't want to do it very often. And there's no reason to, it won't get you anywhere. You'd be much better off shifting at 4500 and letting the torque take over. Top end improvements for this engine are coming, it's just a matter of time. For now we're stuck shifting at 4500.
Mach10

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2001 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mach10Send a Private Message to Mach10Direct Link to This Post
Do you like apples? Yes?

Well I'm going to start with a ground-up rebuild. Balance rotating assembly, blue-print etc. for the bottom end.

On the top, my rebuilder swears up and down that he can find stronger rockers/pushrods, stiffer springs, and better valves. Good-bye valve float and mushy top ends! Then it's off to the mill for a full pocket-port and polish.

Going to have to get creative with the ECM, though... My builder is suggesting using a camaro/firechicked ECM and some components... I'll see about that when I get there

How do you like THEM apples?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock