heads up display installation by tpeerson
Started on: 11-07-2001 09:14 PM
Replies: 21
Last post by: GOLDSE on 11-27-2001 02:11 PM
tpeerson

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2001 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tpeersonClick Here to visit tpeerson's HomePageSend a Private Message to tpeersonDirect Link to This Post
Anyone have any tips on installing a heads up display (from a 96 Bonneville SSEi) in a Fiero. I know there are a couple people here who have done it. Any info would be much appreciated.

[This message has been edited by tpeerson (edited 11-14-2001).]

[This message has been edited by tpeerson (edited 11-15-2001).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
GOLDSE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2001 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GOLDSESend a Private Message to GOLDSEDirect Link to This Post
I too would be interested in this as well. I just scored the parts from a '92 Bonneville from the salvage yard yesterday.
tpeerson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2001 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tpeersonClick Here to visit tpeerson's HomePageSend a Private Message to tpeersonDirect Link to This Post
Great! Did you get the wiring harness & cable? I'll keep you posted on anything I learn. Do you have a Bonneville factory service manual for wiring diagrams? I've got one for a 91 (which I have a compass display I want to install(but I don't think there's anything about a HUD. I'll have to look again. What did you pay for your display?

------------------
Tim Peerson
87 V8 Testarossa rebody in progress
Go to: Click" TARGET=_blank rel="nofollow">http://www.MoreThanMeetsTheEye.com
Click
on "Gateway".
Enter password: vroom

GOLDSE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2001 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GOLDSESend a Private Message to GOLDSEDirect Link to This Post
Tim, check your PM.

I scored the adjuster cable, switch and black box. No cover as this was melted due to the engine fire.

I still have to research to the wiring diagram and what feeds into the box. I haven't looked at it too much, but would guess that it displays more than just the speed.

tpeerson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2001 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tpeersonClick Here to visit tpeerson's HomePageSend a Private Message to tpeersonDirect Link to This Post
Did you clip the wire connectors at the switch & HUD? Sounds like you got it at no charge.

I subscribed to AllDataDIY.com last night, and got the wiring diagrams for a 96. I'm in the process right now of downloading some supplimental diagrams for the other items that display.

FieroJoe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2001 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJoeSend a Private Message to FieroJoeDirect Link to This Post
I have one of Oliver Scholtz's homemade HUD for Fiero's. I don't know if he's going to make any more, but it is very similar in appearance to those ones that you have. It has red LED's though, and I know the HUD in my friend's dad's 2001 SSEI is green. Also, I don't know if there is a special section of the glass that has been treated in some manner to knock down on the double vision that can occur becuase of the windshield actaully being 2 pieces of glass.

by the way, my HUD is about 2"x2" square, and I am planning on installing it in the space between the dash and the instrument cluster. I have some stock type vinyl from a radio surround that I will cover a box with. Also, this unit is just for the speed, not turn signals, radio, and whatever else the new ones come with. For the price ($50), and the size that will fit with litte mods, I am happy with it. I will post pics of it when I get it done, which will probably not be in the near future. It is on my long list of winter projects to do!

Good luck with your setups! Make sure to post pics when you are finished!

tpeerson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2001 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tpeersonClick Here to visit tpeerson's HomePageSend a Private Message to tpeersonDirect Link to This Post

GOLDSE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2001 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GOLDSESend a Private Message to GOLDSEDirect Link to This Post
No, I did not cut any of the wiring. The pull-it yard was closing so I had to leave it. I didn't want to cut any of the wiring with the possibility that I would be able to trace it and take as much or all that I needed. I'm not sure if there is anything other than the wiring missing.

On another note, the yard called a different yard while I was checking out, and told me that the other yard charges upwards of $100 for just the box. I got a deal.

And this is something very long term for me to do. But, just couldn't pass up on the parts.

Forgot to mention, the Bonneville I pulled the box from did not have any sort of reflective material on the windshield.

I also noticed on Oliver's website, that it appears that his HUD does not utilize mirrors to reflect the image out of the box, so to speak. Which would lead me to believe that the LED readout is backwards, (?) to reflect correctly off of the windshield.

[This message has been edited by GOLDSE (edited 11-15-2001).]

tpeerson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2001 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tpeersonClick Here to visit tpeerson's HomePageSend a Private Message to tpeersonDirect Link to This Post
The wiring is pretty straightforward. As long as you have the connectors with a little wire hanging off, you can splice on new wires. As far as the windshield goes, I've been told there is a special coating on it. A guy with a 96 Grand Prix says there is a decal on his windshield that says "this windshield designed for HUD".
terryk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2001 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for terrykSend a Private Message to terrykDirect Link to This Post
The windshields *are* designed for HUD's but the earlier DOHC manuals said to "select a windshield with minimal ghosting" so it appears they used normal windshields at one time (or it's a way to get by).

Polarizing film will solve most of the ghosting. If you do this, make sure you aren't wearing polarized sunglasses. On my GTP, the HUD disappears.

Black86SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2001 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black86SESend a Private Message to Black86SEDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by terryk:
The windshields *are* designed for HUD's but the earlier DOHC manuals said to "select a windshield with minimal ghosting" so it appears they used normal windshields at one time (or it's a way to get by).

Yup, not to mention if you have the "special" windshield it is expensive. I know a guy who had a Nissan with a hud and special windshield. The windshield needed replacement and cost about $800. OUCH!

PFF
System Bot
ssalyers

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2001 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ssalyersSend a Private Message to ssalyersDirect Link to This Post
I would be interested in more info on this too. Sound like a pretty cool addition! What parts do I need to get from the bone yard, and from what cars?

--Shawn

MR2KLR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2001 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MR2KLRClick Here to visit MR2KLR's HomePageSend a Private Message to MR2KLRDirect Link to This Post
What info does the "HUD" Display? anybody try instaling the Caddy night vision? That would be cool, and some radar absorbing paint Oh! and a pair of machine guns up front J/K

PS don't forget run flat tires for the ultimate 007 mobile

tpeerson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2001 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tpeersonClick Here to visit tpeerson's HomePageSend a Private Message to tpeersonDirect Link to This Post

tpeerson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2001 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tpeersonClick Here to visit tpeerson's HomePageSend a Private Message to tpeersonDirect Link to This Post

tpeerson

105 posts
Member since Feb 2001

Originally posted by ssalyers:
I would be interested in more info on this too. Sound like a pretty cool addition! What parts do I need to get from the bone yard, and from what cars?

--Shawn

Originally posted by ssalyers:

--Shawn

You'd need the main display, switch, control cable, and preferably wiring harness. I fdon't know if the harness is separate, or interwoven with other wires somewhere between the switch & display box. At the least, cut off the wires a few inches in front of the connectors. You can always splice in new wires.

There's a connection from the PCM (Power Control Module) to the HUD for the speed display. The Fiero outputs 4000 ppm, so you need to make sure that's what the HUD you get operates with. I'm not sure if all GM cars use the same number of pulses, so you'd need to check before you get the unit to be sure.

I'm aware of HUD's on the Bonneville and Grand Prix... and they're also in the Pontiac family, so you'd probably be safe.

My HUD from a 96 Bonneville displays speed (MPH & KM/H), high beam lights, hazard, turn left and right, low fuel and check gages.

------------------
Tim Peerson
Go to: http://www.MoreThanMeetsTheEye.com
Click "Gateway" button.

FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2001 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
How much did all the parts cost you guys from the boneyards? I am very interested and may go searching tomorow. Let me know!

------------------

James Essar
AOL IM Name: FieroMaster88
Not your ordinary 88 coupe!

PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2001 04:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
If you'r einterested in HUD, go to www.nippo-seiki.co.jp/products.htm They make an HUD and the film for your windshield. It'd be more $$ than the Bonnvville unit but you'd get instructions and warranty.
Nashco

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2001 04:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post
Paul, that link doesn't work for me....??

Bryce
88 GT

GOLDSE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2001 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GOLDSESend a Private Message to GOLDSEDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tpeerson:
You'd need the main display, switch, control cable, and preferably wiring harness. I don't know if the harness is separate, or interwoven with other wires somewhere between the switch & display box.

My HUD from a 96 Bonneville displays speed (MPH & KM/H), high beam lights, hazard, turn left and right, low fuel and check gages.

The wire harness from the switch to the main display box is straightforward, as well as the control cable. The pin connector from the main display box to the rest of the wiring harness is a jumble of wiring mess. That is the part I have to go back for tomorrow.

My display shows the same information. The trick will be trying to figure out how to get all of these features to work.

FieroJoe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2001 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJoeSend a Private Message to FieroJoeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GOLDSE:
Which would lead me to believe that the LED readout is backwards, (?) to reflect correctly off of the windshield.

Yes, that's correct.

tpeerson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2001 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tpeersonClick Here to visit tpeerson's HomePageSend a Private Message to tpeersonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GOLDSE:
My display shows the same information. The trick will be trying to figure out how to get all of these features to work.

The schematics show all the info you need. I paid $24.95 at http://www.alldatadiy.com for the 96 Bonneville service info.

------------------
Tim Peerson
Go to: http://www.MoreThanMeetsTheEye.com
Click "Gateway" button.

PFF
System Bot
GOLDSE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2001 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GOLDSESend a Private Message to GOLDSEDirect Link to This Post
For those interested, there is a HUD on ebay now.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=598465880

tpeerson, I have some questions for you that I'll PM later.

Mike

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock