Started on: 11-04-2001 05:27 PM
Replies: 16
Last post by: avengador1 on 11-07-2001 08:12 PM
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2001 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
These are the readings I get after my engine rebuild with engine at operating temperature. Originally the temp was a lot higher and the pressure was lower. I have a 2.8 V6 GT with the Fiero store fan switch and thermostat for the hypertech chip. The car also seems to run richer and the mileage goes down to 21 MPG when it's under 50 degrees F outside. Other than that it seems to run ok.

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
avengador1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2001 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
And.
Old Lar

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2001 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
Voltage and Oil pressure look good for a running engine. I can't read the temperature guage.

The stock Fiero likes to run at 195F. At lower temperatures, the car will run richer (lower gas milage) because the ECM doesn't think the engine is warmed up. TPS sensor?

Changing to non stock chips for performance reasons usually sacrifices gas economy.

[This message has been edited by Old Lar (edited 11-04-2001).]

avengador1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2001 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
The temp gauge is reading less than 1/4 of the temp scale. I ordered the fan switch and thermostat from Rodney Dickman to see if this makes it run a little leaner/better as they are for a higher temperature. The pictures were taken after warming up the engine to operating temperature. Thanks for your reply I sort of suspected this and needed some comfirmation.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2001 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Everything looks normal. The temp gauge is slightly lower than my Formula with Rodney's 180 Thermo and 195 fan switch. With the stock thermo and fan switch, it ran almost exactly at 200, with the fan coming on at 235 - just like it's supposed to. Your car will run slightly cooler and take longer to warm up if the thermo isn't seated properly, cuz it won't seal. Not sure - but R&R'ing it has fixed that for me in the past.
avengador1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2001 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Thanks, one more thing I can try.
Jay

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2001 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JayClick Here to visit Jay's HomePageSend a Private Message to JayDirect Link to This Post
I wouldn't trust the temp gauge, I've had several that give false or innacurate readings. Hook the ECM up to a scan tool and take the reading right from there (If you have access to one). It's the only way of getting an accurate reading.
Brandon86SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2001 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Brandon86SESend a Private Message to Brandon86SEDirect Link to This Post
Well another way, which I'm working on is to get mechanical gauges, much more accurate! I got my oil pressure going, and it holds up just over 60. Once I get the plug out of my head I'll have a real accurate temp as well.

Mine as well post a question while I'm here, is it normal for there to be what sounds to be a bit of air discharging from the gauge? I've checked everywhere for oil leaks, and there doesn't seem to be any. Could this be what was in the tubing when I first installed it? (only went in on Friday) Thanks,

Brandon

------------------

Carrolles

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2001 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CarrollesSend a Private Message to CarrollesDirect Link to This Post
The o-ring on my 85SE v-6 thermostat was cut and caused it to run at the same temp you are showing.

Look at the t-stat to see if it is ok.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2001 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
ive got the same fan switch/thermo. my car runs at same temp as yours, my oil/batt gauges are 3/4 way over, almost in red.

ie 160*, 14.5 volts, 70 pnds oil

been same for 90K

ray b

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2001 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bDirect Link to This Post
all gauge pointers are just pressed on the shafts over time they can and do move to incorect positions pull off and move [by center hub] and line up to real readings [off scan tools readouts] or where you think they should be, but check to see if you got a real problem like low oil pressureor hi-temps first with a good shop gauge/thermomoter/VOM ect.
sure works on gas gauges that run out at 1/2 full and read way over the full line up, just move to real reading on full line when realy full [after many click off of pump to top off]

------------------
Question wonder and be wierd

PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2001 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
They all look good to me. Wish my oil pressure was that high with a warm engine.
Nice dash treatment BTW.

------------------
Raydar

From the Department of Redundancy Department.

avengador1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2001 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Thanks everybody for your suggestions.I'll check in to these. The oil pressre is high because I have a high output oil pump. When the engine is cold it will peg the needle if revved up high.
Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 310
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2001 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post
All look's good to me... well, almost the fuel gauge look's too full to me, mine never look's like that!!! lol all look's good!

------------------

avengador1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2001 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
The tank was topped off.
Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 310
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2001 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by avengador1:
The tank was topped off.

adv.. I was being a smarta$$.. notice the lol after I said it.. all look's good to me!!! Steve

------------------

avengador1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2001 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
No offense taken.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock