Glowing Manifolds by Kasdan
Started on: 10-31-2001 01:21 PM
Replies: 22
Last post by: Smoooooth GT on 11-02-2001 02:50 PM
Kasdan

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-31-2001 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KasdanSend a Private Message to KasdanDirect Link to This Post
I asked this once before, but i dont think i got an answer. I looked under my decklid at night when my car was running last saturday and my manifolds were glowing redhot....does this mean my cat is clogged? poor kitty...
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
DRH

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 55
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2001 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DRHSend a Private Message to DRHDirect Link to This Post
Clogged cat is possible. Other likely causes are a vacuum leak or timing set wrong.

Any other symptoms?

Turbo88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2001 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Turbo88Send a Private Message to Turbo88Direct Link to This Post
There are a few things that can cause this. Running to lean, burning fuel in the exhaust manifold, clogged cat. Check your 02 sensor's readings with a volt meter (be ready for burns ). It runs between 0 and 1 volt. 0 being leaner and 1 being richer. I posted the air fuel ratio's to voltage convertion a while back. If that is ok, the if might be your car.

Does it run or sound any different? Quiter? Louder? Strange rattles? I just replaced my cat because of the brick was busted inside. Makes a strange rattle that I wouldn't have thought it would sound like.

You might also try checking the ECM for any codes. Hope this helped you, let us know what you found.

-Bryan

Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2001 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post
No glowing manifolds do not mean that you have a clogged cat, although it could be part of the problem. Considering that you just had a new motor put in I would check to the work done by your mechanic. Timing and vacuum leaks will drastically affect exhaust temperatures so check them first.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2001 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
depends on how red. at nite there sometimes a little reddish in spots normally.
Kasdan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-31-2001 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KasdanSend a Private Message to KasdanDirect Link to This Post
Glowing...like...umm...totally orange, also, the idle seems to be off....oh so its all over the place....and i need to changfe the 02 sensor and the EGR...would that cause the glowing?
samoht

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2001 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for samohtSend a Private Message to samohtDirect Link to This Post
i put a new motor in mine and the manafolds glow bright red !!!! Turns out my timing was 30 degrees advance and ran good.. But we indexed the distibutor and retimed it ( A/B OBDII crossed) it ran even better.. I would play with timing alittle? Is you torque curve off.. Mine was kickin in at around 2500RPM, but now it kick me in the arsh about 1300.. Good luck

85gt3.2

Fiero*101

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2001 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero*101Send a Private Message to Fiero*101Direct Link to This Post
Hey dont feel bad i have the same problem but i wasnt sure what to do about it
how do we fix it?

------------------
Fiero*101
Gold 86 SE 2M6

FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2001 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
Try your EGR tube. My manifolds were glowing red hot and the idle was at like 2K RPM....the EGR tube was ripped in half. Changed it an now everything is good again!

------------------

James Essar
AOL IM Name: FieroMaster88
Not your ordinary 88 coupe!

Hippocrat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2001 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HippocratSend a Private Message to HippocratDirect Link to This Post
The last time I had a nice neon red set of manifolds, it was the timing.
Zoom88

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2001 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Zoom88Click Here to visit Zoom88's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zoom88Direct Link to This Post
Yep, yes siree...I can testify to that, I just put the top half my 2.8 after having to pull the heads to drill out 2 broken manifold bolts and heli-coil a third. Cleaned up all the excess metal while I had the manifolds off. Pianted them reaaalll Pretty with some HI-Hi Silver Heat Paint, Baked them 6 hrs at 450 deg., Put it all back to gather. Cranked her up and before I could get the timing set correctly they turned a bright red orange and burnt that Pretty Hi-HI Silver paint clean OFF !!!
Yep I would place my 2 cents on the timing.

WOW what was that jus went by??????? :~)

PFF
System Bot
Zoom88

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2001 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Zoom88Click Here to visit Zoom88's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zoom88Direct Link to This Post

Zoom88

3838 posts
Member since Oct 2001
Yep, yes siree...I can testify to that, I just put the top half my 2.8 back together after having to pull the heads to drill out 2 broken manifold bolts and heli-coil a third. Cleaned up all the excess metal while I had the manifolds off. Painted them reaaalll Pretty with some HI-Hi Silver Heat Paint, Baked them 6 hrs at 450 deg., Put it all back to gather. Cranked her up and before I could get the timing set correctly they turned a bright red orange and burnt that Pretty Hi-HI Silver paint clean OFF !!!
Yep I would place my 2 cents on the timing.

WOW what was that jus went by??????? :~)

camon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2001 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for camonSend a Private Message to camonDirect Link to This Post
Heck mine does it too (I just checked it...who who knows how long this has been like this....hope it didn't harm anything)!

Mine is only on the front side manifold (nearest the trunk). I think mine might be timming though but I can't be sure! I messed with the timing alittle bit (it may have done it even before I messed with the timing because I never looked at the manifold before now). Well after I started setting the timming I didn't feel comfortable with the results so I tried setting it back to where it was.

Well now I will ask here to learn how to set it correctly (then give it a shot).

Can anyone here tell me the correct procedure in timing the 2.8?

When timing there are no #'s listed on the plate, just hashes. It say's on the VECI tag it should be set at 10 degree's but I don't know what the 10 degree mark is because it is not numbered (how do you count off the hashes and which way do the numbers go "trunk to firewall or vise versa"). How hard would it have been for GM to put numbers on that plate (I guess then it would be to easy)!

Thanks for any advise.

------------------
Keith

[This message has been edited by camon (edited 11-01-2001).]

[This message has been edited by camon (edited 11-01-2001).]

camon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2001 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for camonSend a Private Message to camonDirect Link to This Post

camon

708 posts
Member since Sep 2001
never mind....seek and you shall find!

Just seen a post from 87GTZ34 that explained what I wanted to know.

He says that looking at the timming plate (and going clockwise) the first peak is 12 degrees and the first valley is the 10 degree mark (I assume this is where the timming mark should line up). If this is the case then I know for a fact my timming is off...If my memory serves me correct I think my timming mark is on the 3rd hash (which would be 8 degrees BTDC).

Does this sound correct?????

------------------
Keith

samoht

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2001 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for samohtSend a Private Message to samohtDirect Link to This Post
i timed mine by ear and power curve.. Hayse manaul I am sure has time procudures..

85gt3.2

grinthock

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2001 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grinthockClick Here to visit grinthock's HomePageSend a Private Message to grinthockDirect Link to This Post
Had the same problem...

CLEAN'd out the EGR tube, it had black crap cover 90% of the hole on each side, fixed a cracked manifold that was casuing me to run rich. No more glowing manifolds, BUT my cat is now clogged so the car chokes. PLUS I have a leaky injector.

One thing after another, BUT instead of $400 a month on a car payment, it's $100/mnth here and there to fix stuff.

camon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2001 01:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for camonSend a Private Message to camonDirect Link to This Post
Well timming isn't my problem.

I adjusted it to 10 degree's and it still glows.

I also checked the EGR Valve by placing a finger on the diaphram and working the throttle...well the diaphram moved so this I don't believe is the problem either. I know when I bought the car the guy I bought it from said he had the exhaulst system replaced about a year and a half ago (not sure if the cat was also replaced). Anything else to check before I go get a new cat installed??????? I'd love to throw a straight pipe on it and do away with the cat entirely but here in Pa it is a must...for inspection!

edited:
oh yeah....I have the hayes manual and they explained the procedure but not in enough detail for my liking (they said the hash marks were in 2 degree increasments but they didn't say if the numbers ran clockwise or counter colckwise or even if the first hash was "0" or "2"). They really should have included a sketch of the plate with numbers on it (this would've taken away any doubt).

------------------
Keith

[This message has been edited by camon (edited 11-02-2001).]

Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 310
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2001 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post
ast time I had glowing manifold's.. it WAS in fact a vac. leak!!! that was mine though... hard to really say, could be any of the above!!

------------------
UNDER CONSTRUCTION

camon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2001 02:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for camonSend a Private Message to camonDirect Link to This Post
Ohh I hope it ain't a vac. leak!

There are so many vacuum hoses in there and most of which are not easy to get to!

Quess I will attempt it though considering it is alot cheaper then a CAT job!

------------------
Keith

RossT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2001 02:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RossTClick Here to visit RossT's HomePageSend a Private Message to RossTDirect Link to This Post
Cam. Check your EGR tube on both ends. I used a cheap dental mirror. That's where mine was cracked.
camon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2001 03:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for camonSend a Private Message to camonDirect Link to This Post
Ross....
I'll try that!

Also if there is a vacuum leak with the EGR system would the Diaphram in the EGR valve still operate. Mine does.

Also if i'm unsuccessful with tracking down the vacuum leak can the Cat be cut off with a hacksaw and then use some type of pipe and clamp system in place of it...then come sept. (inspection time i'll just get Rodney's cat system and bolt it in place of the straight pipe)?????

------------------
Keith

PFF
System Bot
Fiero*101

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2001 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero*101Send a Private Message to Fiero*101Direct Link to This Post
Ok i have to ask this but what and where is the EGR tube
I have a glowing manifold and i have no idea what the EGR tube is or where its located
any info is good info

------------------
Fiero*101
Gold 86 SE 2M6

Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 310
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2001 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero*101:
Ok i have to ask this but what and where is the EGR tube
I have a glowing manifold and i have no idea what the EGR tube is or where its located
any info is good info

101*---- The EGR tube is the tube that's connecting the EGR to the upper intake !! crack's are REALLY HARD to see sometimes.. Good luck!!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock