A High Performance Iron Duke??!! by 84_duke
Started on: 10-26-2001 03:18 PM
Replies: 15
Last post by: Return of Fiero on 10-27-2001 04:02 PM
84_duke

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2001 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84_dukeSend a Private Message to 84_dukeDirect Link to This Post
Alright, I was considering doing a 2.8 swap into my 84, but I thought of another possibility that might be less complicated and kind of unique. What is the most HP that you guys have seen from a duke? I was thinking along the lines of new performanc plugs, wires, ignition coil, air filter, performance cams, lifters and pistons from the fiero store, plus a high flow cat and exhaust system. The car a 4speed in it and the engine could use a rebuild anyways if I am going to keep it in the car. Would doing this bring the car into the HP range of a stock 2.8? Thanks

------------------
84_duke

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
johnt671

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2001 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnt671Send a Private Message to johnt671Direct Link to This Post
Oh no!!!!!! Here we go again. Go to search for past info. The last thread like this wound up as a flame war that covered everything from Geo Metros to Peterbuilt tractors. ( Maybe just a bit of ex- aggeration, but not much)

[This message has been edited by johnt671 (edited 10-26-2001).]

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2001 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
You can not use high performance and iron duke in the same sentence. It is an oxymoron.

84_duke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2001 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84_dukeSend a Private Message to 84_dukeDirect Link to This Post
I just read a couple of similar posts through the search function... I am almost sorry I posted this now... oh well... maybe this will be another chance for those high strung v6 lovers to vent some anxiety...

------------------
84_duke

88formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2001 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88formulaClick Here to visit 88formula's HomePageSend a Private Message to 88formulaDirect Link to This Post
I have rebuilt one of these motors for my brother (91 Grand AM) and I owned an 87 duke fiero myself. I have learned from my experience that these motors are JUNK.

Don't do it!

------------------

watts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2001 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsDirect Link to This Post
Oh boy...

Yup, this one falls under "speed costs money boy - how you wanna go?".

There ARE 500+ HP Iron Dukes. Mind you... that's pretty big bucks. The article I read in 198(6?) was about $20,000 for the build up. Can only imagine what that'd be in todays dollars!

fieroman_5000

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2001 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroman_5000Send a Private Message to fieroman_5000Direct Link to This Post
ok ok ok calm down...quit giving 84_duke a hard time. He loves HP just as much as we do...he just wants more.

Fieroman

Fierowrecker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2001 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierowreckerClick Here to visit Fierowrecker's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierowreckerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84_duke:
I just read a couple of similar posts through the search function... I am almost sorry I posted this now... oh well... maybe this will be another chance for those high strung v6 lovers to vent some anxiety...

We are not venting anxiety, just telling it like it is...
It's the puke owners that get all worked up...

fieroman_5000

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2001 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroman_5000Send a Private Message to fieroman_5000Direct Link to This Post
Hey Fierowrecker...how far is Howell from Ann Arobor...you know? Maybe we could get together sometime?

Fieroman

johnt671

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2001 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnt671Send a Private Message to johnt671Direct Link to This Post
See, I told you. If you read through the old posts you will find some advise between the crap. I've put in a K&N air filter, MSD GM blaster coil and control system, and 8mm Accel plug wires in mine. Made a difference in the car(84 SE) over 3000 rpms. Drawback is that the MSD coil died after 6 months. Car ran nice though. Plan to replace the original cat with a Rodney Dickman cat and some other minor improvements, but I,ve been laid off so I'll have to wait. I know there is a lot you can get to improve the duke, as headers, cams, and headwork have all been mentioned in other threads
Master_Sushi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2001 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Master_SushiSend a Private Message to Master_SushiDirect Link to This Post
You six owners are just jealous! You all know you want a duke!

PFF
System Bot
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2001 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post
I'd take a Duke. The 3.0 litre twin cam 16 valve Super Duty 370 hp. factory race version!

Rick 88

[This message has been edited by Rick 88 (edited 10-27-2001).]

MR2KLR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2001 02:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MR2KLRClick Here to visit MR2KLR's HomePageSend a Private Message to MR2KLRDirect Link to This Post
I used too own a Turbo 84SE with a 2.5L duke all done up "right" I bought i like that from a used car dealer ship. It was damn quick! It was taged and legel for a month and was driven 4 days a total of about 100 miles in that time the car sufferd fom (4) blown head gaskets (2) bad water pumps (2) sets of fouled plugs and a blown apart TBI & EGR valve until the last time so much anti-freze got in the berings it just locked up and so it sits (less turbo I sold that to a friend) It was a homemade system that was just a hacked & welded 2.5L Fiero manifold with a Garret TD04 (thats right! TD04= Typhoon/Cyclone 4.3L) turbo welded to the manifold and pre-fab exhaust pipe & 3" std intake pipeing runing to a stock 4-tech air cleaner houseing and a mech. boost gauge mounted on a plate where the radio went. It was awful and me being a 16 year old kid (4 yrs ago) worked up every penny of the $3500 window price! I still have the car, though I have parted it all out ( my mother lost the title) so it just sits there to laugh at me every day the car still only has 53K original miles on it I am depresed now The duke can be pepy or even quick but never truly fast
Sleeper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2001 04:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SleeperSend a Private Message to SleeperDirect Link to This Post
not much real info that I've ever seen but heres one from a few years back at least it shows what can be done
http://www.users.qwest.net/~racing2win/Fiero_Fun.htm
DaRkLoRD

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2001 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DaRkLoRDSend a Private Message to DaRkLoRDDirect Link to This Post
the idea of a 4cyl Firebird scares me. (from the website posted above)

but not if it's a 340hp Superduty.
------------------
steve@fieroproject.com
http://www.fieroproject.com

[This message has been edited by DaRkLoRD (edited 10-27-2001).]

Return of Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2001 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Return of FieroSend a Private Message to Return of FieroDirect Link to This Post
tec 4 is the same as the "duke" as its being called? amazing, not venting or gettting worked up. really i could give a crap, but the 88' kept some good time against quite a few cars on the strip in machester ("manch vagas" to the locals) dont know why everyone knocks the 4cy, with a few upgrades, im sure they would be nice for a bit of power. i know that i had a 4 that was pretty fast, and the people who have talked to me a bit about it know it would waste any 6 Fiero upgraded or not. want to know how? contact me outside of the forum, or in a private message, i dont think i need to put yet another 70 line post in here
Myke
(NH fireo divers who know me, they have been told )

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock