Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Turn signal relay same as hazard relay? Turn signals not blinkin'

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Turn signal relay same as hazard relay? Turn signals not blinkin' by MinnGreenGT
Started on: 10-22-2001 10:08 AM
Replies: 3
Last post by: MinnGreenGT on 10-22-2001 04:07 PM
MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2001 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
OK, I finished installing my LED taillights ( https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/011212.html ) but I've got a wierd problem. My turn signals don't flash- at all, but my hazard lights flash normally. I'm not sure if my turn signal relay is toast or what!? I had always assumed that the turn signal relay was the same unit as the hazard swich uses... but I'm now thinking otherwise. And where are the relays anyway (haven't looked myself yet)?

------------------

[Edited for link to matching thread...]

[This message has been edited by MinnGreenGT (edited 10-22-2001).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2001 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilDirect Link to This Post
The turn signal flasher is up by the steering column(little silver can thing) and the hazard flasher is over by the chime unit
Bill Osmer

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2001 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Bill OsmerSend a Private Message to Bill OsmerDirect Link to This Post
Most turn signal flashers require a load in order to operate. When you replace the "normal" bulbs with solid-state bulbs (LEDs), then you will need to change the flasher to a "solid-state-type" that will flash irregardless of the lamp load. Check your local auto supplier and look at the assortment of flashers for a "solid-state"-type.

------------------
Bill Osmer

MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2001 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Bill- Thanks! I ran out for a quick lunch and stopped at the local Checker... they had one "electronic- variable load" flasher unit ($12 vs. normal $3) and says it will last 10 times longer than the original (so 10x15years= 150years ). It worked perfectly (replaced it while sitting there in the parking lot)- but clicks a little differently and a little more quickly.

THANKS, for your help! This is why I love the forum- I'd probably have just replaced it with another original one before finding out I needed another type.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock