3.1 in a 86se by Areakon
Started on: 10-03-2001 01:12 AM
Replies: 12
Last post by: rogergarrison on 10-04-2001 09:42 PM
Areakon

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2001 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AreakonClick Here to visit Areakon's HomePageSend a Private Message to AreakonDirect Link to This Post
I'm wanting to put a 3.1 motor in my 86se. It has an auto right now, but I have an 85 5 speed that I'm dropping in with the engine. Since it is in the 60* engine family will all of the fiero top end parts, mounting brackets and accessories work? Also will I have to swap out the prom or do any wiring harness work? I know for it to take the manual transaxle I need a V6 manual prom, but will the fiero manual prom jive with the different motor?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MontanaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2001 03:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MontanaFieroSend a Private Message to MontanaFieroDirect Link to This Post
Not necessarily... I am not completely familiar with the 3.1s but I do know that most of those had incompatible heads. The intake and exhaust ports don't match up.

Also, where did you get the tranny? Only a Fiero tranny will work without modification. The shift levers on the tranny will be backwards. I believe they can be turned around if you split the case, but there is an adapter available for making the shifters work in the Fiero.

anyone care to add to this??

------------------

Areakon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2001 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AreakonClick Here to visit Areakon's HomePageSend a Private Message to AreakonDirect Link to This Post
By top end I ment the fiero heads, and the tranny is comming out of my beater 85 2m4.
00lE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2001 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 00lESend a Private Message to 00lEDirect Link to This Post
GM made several different fwd versions of the 3.1/3100 throughout the years. Only those from the Lumina Minivan (iron head) will work with the Fiero intake/heads without internal engine modification (different pistons). I guess you could redrill the starter holes on a Camaro/Firebird rwd 3.1, but then you may as well opt for a 3.4.
MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2001 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
I'm running the 3.1L from a Lumina Minivan with the Fiero heads/intake... works like a charm!

------------------

Areakon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2001 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AreakonClick Here to visit Areakon's HomePageSend a Private Message to AreakonDirect Link to This Post
I'm planning on rebuilding the engine anyway from ground up. So could I just change to diffrent pistons and use the fiero heads?
MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2001 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
You can get a 3.1 "Stroker" kit that should have all the correct parts in it... or you can dig around to find a donor engine. The 3.1 block does have the advantage of an improved oiling system over the 2.8 ...just a thought.
Voytek

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2001 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VoytekSend a Private Message to VoytekDirect Link to This Post
This engine will work just fine - you just won't be able to use the red Fiero intake unless you change the heads. I've seen these in a couple of Fieros. It'll probably have the coil pack instead of a distributor, i.e. computer swap. The exhaust manifolds will match up just fine with the aluminum heads. Do a search on it - I and several others have explained this a few times. The engine works just fine and it should be more powerful than getting a stroker kit for the 2.8.

The iron head (Lumina / TransSport mini van) engine works with the Fiero intake 'cause it has the iron heads.

------------------

Areakon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2001 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AreakonClick Here to visit Areakon's HomePageSend a Private Message to AreakonDirect Link to This Post
I'm not wanting to stroke the 2.8 because I want to run roller lifters, which I've heard the 2.8 cannot do. Plus the 3.1 is a stronger block. Also on the 3.1 caravan motor, do you have to switch to coil packs or does the 3.1 have a stipulation for the distributor like the 3.4 does?
Shaun41178

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
User Banned

Report this Post10-03-2001 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shaun41178Send a Private Message to Shaun41178Direct Link to This Post
the 3100 or the 3400 block have a hole in it drilled for the distributor. There is a cover plate on it that has to be taken off but other then that its really easy to put a distributor in it.

If you want to run a roller cam you have to use the GM roller cam cause there are no aftermarket ones unless you want to shell out about $500 for a custom one off roller cam from Comp Cams or something. I am going to tell you the roller cam in the fiero is awefull as far as lift and duration go. Its barely bigger then the stock Fiero cam is. I know a roller is more efficent to make power but a much bigger cam can go in there if you don't go roller.

I have a 3100 shorblock here if you want it. Shortblock has no miles on it. If you want to use the Fiero heads then you will have to get new pistons or you will have around 7.2:1 compression with the Fiero heads on it unless you have the heads shaved a bit. Perfect if you want it to have forced induction of 15 psi or more.

Do a search for 3.1 or 3.2 and you will find a ton of previous posts about it. its been covered to death. Good luck.

------------------
Shaun 85 GT with nitrous
0-60 in 5.6 seconds
Shaun41178@hotmail.com
**** FOREVER!

Areakon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2001 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AreakonClick Here to visit Areakon's HomePageSend a Private Message to AreakonDirect Link to This Post
Alright, I just spent 2 hours or so digging through the archives. I'm going to shoot for a 3.1 bored to a 3.2. My only other question would be are alternate pistons made to raise the compression ratio to around 9.5-10:1 with the fiero heads?

------------------
He who knows nothing, loves nothing. He who can do nothing understands nothing. He who understands nothing is worthless.
Paracelsus

PFF
System Bot
dgroves

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2001 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dgrovesSend a Private Message to dgrovesDirect Link to This Post
I am in the process of building a 3.2. All you need is to install a 3.1 crank. Bore it .040 over and install Silvolite piston # 1486. This will give compression ratio of 8.8:1. You want to use the Fiero heads because they are "HO" with the big valves. Use all the Fiero intake ,ECM, etc. The only other thing necessary is a neutural balanced flywheel/flexplate. My car is an automatic so I found a flexplate from a 3.1 Lumina (post 1988) I am putting an aftermarket cam in mine. Crane 2030. Should have it on the road in a week or two. Can't wait!! I figgure that I should gain about 15-18 HP.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2001 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
i have 3.1 from Z24 cavalier. used fiero heads and intake with IRM turbo. Everything bolted right up. Looks OEM except for turbo.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock