My Clutch Won't Disengage by MontanaFiero
Started on: 09-29-2001 06:45 PM
Replies: 4
Last post by: 88formula on 09-30-2001 03:31 AM
MontanaFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2001 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MontanaFieroSend a Private Message to MontanaFieroDirect Link to This Post
Okay, nevermind the headlight problem --->>>the damned car won't even move!

my car: '86 SE

drive train: 3.4L V-6, and 4 Speed

history: Car sat for 5 years after previous owner threw a rod bearing in his 2.8. He just replaced the clutch, so apparently he was having clutch problems. I put a 3.4L camaro motor in it last week, used the clutch he bought since it was practically brand new. Throwout bearing looked good, everything lined up good, the motor even turned the wheels during installation.

problem: Motor runs great, but I can't disengage the clutch.
here's what I have done and have noticed:

• bled the slave cylinder, and ultimately ended up replacing it because it would not hold pressure.
  • noticed that the previous owner made his own longer push rod. Clutch lever moves now, but not very far???
  • noticed clutch pedal is bent and tweaked (now I know why he made his own pushrod)
  • threw several hand tools across the floor and invented some new words
  • made my own pushrod (longer). Now I get a full throw when the pedal is pushed and the pedal feels nice and firm.
  • clutch still won't disengage when the pedal is pushed to the floor.
  • gave up.

Any Ideas???

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
samoht

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2001 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for samohtSend a Private Message to samohtDirect Link to This Post
is your clutch fork moving? if so, you need to open the tranny back up and make sure that fork bearin gis doing its job
MontanaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2001 01:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MontanaFieroSend a Private Message to MontanaFieroDirect Link to This Post
Darn. I was hoping you wouldn't say that. But that is what I half expected to hear. I am tempted to take it to a clutch shop and pay them to re-do what I already spent weeks doing.

By the way... who had those new clutch pedals that won't bend??

Fierowrecker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2001 01:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierowreckerClick Here to visit Fierowrecker's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierowreckerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MontanaFiero:
Darn. I was hoping you wouldn't say that. But that is what I half expected to hear. I am tempted to take it to a clutch shop and pay them to re-do what I already spent weeks doing.

By the way... who had those new clutch pedals that won't bend??

Before you take it in, get an original pushrod and a new slave, as the slave may be damaged...
I believe Rodney sells the steel banjo for your pedal...
crash...

88formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2001 03:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88formulaClick Here to visit 88formula's HomePageSend a Private Message to 88formulaDirect Link to This Post
You say that the car sat for five years and that the clutch is the original one the previous owner put in. Sometimes the clutch disk will stick to the pressure plate causing your clutch to not disengage.

Remove the slave cylinder and work the clutch fork by hand. You should be able to tell if the release bearing is not mounted correctly on the fork. You can feel it pull the bearing back.

When I first put my clutch together my clutch wouldn’t disengage either. It was because I had air in the hydraulic system. The only way I could get my clutch to bleed right was to gravity bleed the thing. Make sure that the master cylinder is higher than the slave is. I went through two aftermarket (Borg Warner) slave cylinders trying to get my clutch to fully disengage. I finally gave in and bought a GM slave cylinder and all my problems were solved. The GM slave cylinder bleeds very easily

------------------

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock