88 wheel bearing question? by Rick 88
Started on: 08-24-2001 10:46 AM
Replies: 12
Last post by: artherd on 08-25-2001 01:42 PM
Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2001 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post
Can 88 front and rear wheel bearings (hubs)be repacked? What is the best way to do this.

TIA
Rick,
yellow 88 GT 5-speed

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2001 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
not sure about the back ones, but the one on the front can not really be done - you can repack the inner most one easily, but the other one you can't get at without taking the hub apart, at which point you may not get it back together (due to a collar that was pressed on at the factory).

Tim

Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2001 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post
No.
Each bearing is a sealed bearing and replacements need to be pressed into housing.
ChadMan

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2001 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChadManSend a Private Message to ChadManDirect Link to This Post
I have 125,000 miles on my 88 Coupe and have never had trouble with the wheel bearings (frantically knocking on wood). How long should I expect them to last?
Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2001 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post
Can anyone verify if the rear bearings can be repacked. I have a rotational noise coming from the rear on deceleration only. The pads look ok. It may be the agressive tread on my 245/45/17's. I am going to switch to the stock tires to check this. If it is a bearing can anyone give me a part no and approx. $$.

Thanks again,
Rick
yellow 88 GT 5-speed (70k miles)

Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2001 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post
NOT on any year. They are a sealed bearing and you will need to buy the entire hub as the bearing is not available by itself.
Fred88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2001 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fred88GTSend a Private Message to Fred88GTDirect Link to This Post
I bought rear wheel bearings with hub for my
88GT at autozone. The pn is 513011K price was
$52.99. I have not found 88 front wheel
bearings available anywhere.

Fred

88GT
85GT

DRH

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 55
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2001 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DRHSend a Private Message to DRHDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fred88GT:

I have not found 88 front wheel
bearings available anywhere.

I got 88 front bearing/hub assemblies from www.autozone.com back in the spring for about $93 each.

rodmcneill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2001 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodmcneillSend a Private Message to rodmcneillDirect Link to This Post
Not available right now.
DRH

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2001 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DRHSend a Private Message to DRHDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rodmcneill:
Not available right now.

I just checked and it says they are available online. Timken 513040 $92.99 under Wheel Hub Bearing/Assembly. It showed not available in the Add To store list column, but if you check Buy Online and add to shopping cart it'll give another screen that says ships in 2 days...

I didn't actually order them. Does it say not available then?

rodmcneill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2001 01:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rodmcneillSend a Private Message to rodmcneillDirect Link to This Post
DRH, thanks, I did not check that. Its getting late, time for me to go to bed.
PFF
System Bot
DRH

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2001 02:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DRHSend a Private Message to DRHDirect Link to This Post
Know whatcha mean
artherd

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2001 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artherdClick Here to visit artherd's HomePageSend a Private Message to artherdDirect Link to This Post
Hrmm... are these OEM GM replacement parts? There's a lot riding on bearings, I want to get the best parts I can buy :)

Are there larger (maybe with 113mm bolt pattern) front bearings/hubs for the 88s?

Best!
Ben.

------------------

Ben Cannon
88 Formula, T-top Metalic Red
88 Formula, Silver
87 Coupe, Metalic Red
"Every Man Dies, not every man really Lives"
-Mel Gibson, "Braveheart"

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C