Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Stroking 2.8 -> 3.1 as cheap as possible?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Stroking 2.8 -> 3.1 as cheap as possible? by Seanh
Started on: 07-13-2001 07:23 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: Seanh on 07-14-2001 11:23 AM
Seanh

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2001 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SeanhSend a Private Message to SeanhDirect Link to This Post
So, exactly how cheap can one get by stroking a 2.8 -> 3.1? I can get me a 2.8 from an 88 Beretta, redo the upper end with Fiero intake and heads, ported manifolds. Then how much else is needed to acheive 3.1 (or 3.2 if we overbore it, probally will)? Wheres the cheapest place to get these components?

Just lookin' into some cheaper options for another Fiero....

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Seanh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2001 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SeanhSend a Private Message to SeanhDirect Link to This Post
BTW, how low of compression should be ran? The engine WILL be sprayed, 90-120 hp shot.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2001 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I have lower compression (turbo) and used 2.8 heads and intake. I have 4 bolt block too. Your gonna have to change pistons. need gasket set, bearing set. The 3.1 crank is the main item, its much stronger than 2.8. I also used a Melling HP oil pump. Recommend that you have the tops machined for metal 'O' rings at cyl tops too to stop a blowout. I never used NOS, so cant give any advise on compression or piston type though.
88formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2001 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88formulaClick Here to visit 88formula's HomePageSend a Private Message to 88formulaDirect Link to This Post
It cannot be done. You can't build a cheap engine and put 90-120 shot of nitrous on it and expect it to last. YOU WILL GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. I learned this the hard way.

The places that I have found to have the lowest prices are Jegs, Summit racing, and PAW warehouse. Northern auto is also a good place to get your parts.

------------------

Seanh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2001 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SeanhSend a Private Message to SeanhDirect Link to This Post
I don't mean cheap quality, I just want the most inexpensive job as possible. Cutting back places where I can, like ported manifolds instead of headers, like that. I am thinkin' now it would just be better to go 3.4 Camaro route instead..
Fierowrecker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2001 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierowreckerClick Here to visit Fierowrecker's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierowreckerDirect Link to This Post
So what is wrong with a 3800???
You want turbo? It has turbo...
You want normally asperated? It comes that way too...
Also very cheep too...
crash...
Seanh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2001 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SeanhSend a Private Message to SeanhDirect Link to This Post
3800 is too much work for this. I'd do it in another car, but this car ain't going to be nothin' specical, just fast.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock