AC-belt and R134 charge by Joe4x4
Started on: 06-28-2001 03:29 AM
Replies: 3
Last post by: Joe4x4 on 06-28-2001 07:46 AM
Joe4x4

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2001 03:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe4x4Click Here to visit Joe4x4's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe4x4Direct Link to This Post
What a job....I was able to figure out how
to get AC-belt on. It`s a 86-se 6 cyl,

STEPS.......

1)the rear passenger tire has to come off
so losen the lugs.
2)jack up the car (I used a floor jack in the rear)I put a jack stand under the pivit point of the engine cradlepassenger side.
3)take the tire off
4)losen the sepentine belt(main belt)
the bolt to losen the belt is under the alternature.The bolt is to the left (if you are looking at the wheel well.
5)push the alternature down from the top,
and belt should come off easly.
6)to losen the AC compresssor belt.The bolt you want to losen is under the AC compressor dead center (under) .
after you losen the bolt push down on the AC compressor from the top. Then put new belts
on tighten up the belts .

(Wish I had this INFO before I started today)
Next Step R134 .....
here is a past post .... //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/011280.html

------------------
Need For Speed........

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cadaver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2001 03:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cadaverSend a Private Message to cadaverDirect Link to This Post
Yes but why use 134? I just fixed mine and charged it with R-12.
Joe4x4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2001 05:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe4x4Click Here to visit Joe4x4's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe4x4Direct Link to This Post
Problem: Air conditioner doesn't cool

Automotive air conditioners usually cost a bundle to have them repaired. It takes special training, equipment and parts to do the job right. Because of the high cost of repairs, many people decide not to have the repairs done. They suffer in the heat and start thinking about trading in their clunker.

Many car air conditioner repairs can be done by the do-it-yourselfer, giving fresh life to their car.

The simplest repair is replacing a broken or slipping compressor drive belt, so start with an inspection and/or adjustment of the belt.

Next, check your refrigerant charge and add refrigerant if needed. You'll need an auto air conditioner pressure gage and a refill kit. You'll need to determine if your system uses the older R12 or the newer R134 refrigerant (look for a label under the hood). You must wear goggles when adding refrigerant to avoid being blinded if refrigerant gets in your eyes. If your air conditioner is one of the newer R134 systems, you're in luck.

See if your air conditioner clutch engages and turns the compressor with the AC on and the engine running. If not, or if it cycles on briefly, then back off, the refrigerant charge may be low. Attach the pressure gage to the high-pressure line and monitor the pressure. If the AC clutch never engages, you may have to hotwire the clutch directly from the battery to make it engage. Once the clutch engages, see if the high pressure reaches the factory recommended value. If not, add refrigerant to the low pressure fitting, until the factory recommended pressure is achieved (or about 80% of that for R12 systems retrofitted to R134).

You can buy R134 in small cans at your local auto store, but you can't buy R12. If your system uses R12 and needs a charge, get out you checkbook and go over to the repair shop, since professional shops can still get R12 (it costs a small fortune). Before adding R12, the shop will probably insist on finding and repairing any leaks, adding to the costs.

If you have the older R12 system, you might want to consider converting to R134. A repair shop can do this (bring your banker along) or you can take a chance a do it yourself. Inexpensive retrofit kits are now available at your local auto parts store. The kits include high and low-pressure Schrader valve adapters (because R12 and R134 fittings are different), a can of a special R134-compatible oil charge, a refilling hose, and a couple cans of R134. Be sure you have a high-pressure gage that connects to the new R134 fittings. Remove the old R12. Be responsible and go over to the auto air conditioning shop to have the R12 removed, so as to not contribute to damage to the earth's ozone layer and get in trouble with the law. Follow the kit's instructions and install the R134 retrofit fittings on the existing R12 Schrader valves ... then add the oil charge and the R134 charge up to the kit's recommended pressure. Don't expect a retrofit to freeze you out. R134 is not as good a refrigerant as R12, but it will do the job if the rest of the system is working OK. Also, professionals will probably advise you not to conduct this simple retrofit, insisting that you'll risk damaging your system with incompatible compressor oils. So you be the judge ... pay their lofty price for a professional retrofit or do it yourself for next to nothing and risk a blotched job. If your AC doesn't work, and you can't afford to pay for a professional retrofit, and you can't take the heat, ask yourself if you have much to loose trying the retrofit. Ask around and you'll probably find people that got away with the do-it-yourself retrofit and are pleased with the results.

If you have a seized compressor or compressor clutch, and have some experience working with automotive air conditioning systems, go ahead and replace the compressor with a quality rebuilt unit (in some systems, it's best to replace the compressor and clutch as an assembly). Again, have the refrigerant professionally removed. Make every attempt possible to avoid having much air enter the system. Air does not compress easily and carries moisture. Both are a big problem. The moisture will condense inside the system and combine with refrigerant to create a corrosive acid that damages components. Air can overload the compressor and damage it. Any air and moisture that gets into the system must be drawn out with a vacuum pump before adding fresh refrigerant. So have a suitable vacuum pump ready or don't attempt the job. It is also advisable to replace the drier in your AC system. It's purpose is to capture any moister you missed with the vacuum pump.

Joe4x4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2001 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe4x4Click Here to visit Joe4x4's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe4x4Direct Link to This Post

Joe4x4

387 posts
Member since Oct 2000
Ahhhhhhh COLD AIR Ahhhhhhhhhhh

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock