Fuel Level Sender Problem by grinthock
Started on: 04-21-2001 03:30 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: PJ on 04-22-2001 11:10 AM
grinthock

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2001 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grinthockClick Here to visit grinthock's HomePageSend a Private Message to grinthockDirect Link to This Post
OK so here i am driving on a 400klm trip and I notice after 2 hours of driving that my fuel level is STILL sitting at 1/4, not going down, so I stop and put in 33 litres. ??? That's strange I figure, THEN I drive more and realize later that it goes down to 1/4 and stop, and occasionally fluctuates down to the red, then back up...

Anyone have ideas? Also how do I change the sender if this is the issue?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FieroJoe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2001 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJoeSend a Private Message to FieroJoeDirect Link to This Post
double check the connector on the firewall to make sure that it is tight, it has 3 wires in it and it about right in the center. Brown and black wires, I believe. If that isnt the problem with it, then you can check your gauge. Take apart that connector, turn the ignition on, and put a jumper across the wires for the fuel sender, on the side of the connector that runs through the firewall. I dont remember what wires they are, just the center one and then one of the outside ones.

Watch your gauge while you do this. With 0 ohms resistence, the gauge should go down to E. Next, put a 90 ohm resistor across those same wires, and the gauge should go to full. If it dosent, you'll have to take the gauge out and probably clean the connections. Also, on the gauge, there is a ceramic calibration resistor, those connections too may be a little corroded and be the cause of some flakey operations. Clean them up with sandpaper and try again.

If it is in fact your sender, you'll have to drop the tank to take it out. The haynes manual tells how to do it fairly well and has some good pics.

Good Luck!

------------------
AIM: Fiero87311
87 Coupe 5sp. - big resto near completion!

ray b

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2001 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bDirect Link to This Post
try the cheap easy fix first,see if the gauge pointer is louse on the shaft.
fill up tank and remove cover reglue pointer on at full mark.
that worked for me after i ran out of gas at 1/4 tank mark.
FieroJoe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2001 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJoeSend a Private Message to FieroJoeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ray b:
try the cheap easy fix first,see if the gauge pointer is louse on the shaft.
fill up tank and remove cover reglue pointer on at full mark.
that worked for me after i ran out of gas at 1/4 tank mark.

that could work too, though you shouldnt have to glue it. The part of the needle the shaft of the gauge goes into is quite tough, and snaps onto the shaft. So unless you break it getting it out, it should just snap right back on.

Fierowrecker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2001 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierowreckerClick Here to visit Fierowrecker's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierowreckerDirect Link to This Post
Hey Grin!
I found the resistor on the sender is held by two springs...
When I moved the resistor, it cleaned the connection, and has been working sence...
crash...
PJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2001 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PJSend a Private Message to PJDirect Link to This Post
I had a sticking sender once when the car sat for a month or so. Hung up right at the one quarter mark. A few gallons of 100 octane in an empty tank freed it up. Sure beat having to drop the tank.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock