2.8 to Turbo 3.1 Conversion, Finally!! by Cplensdorf
Started on: 04-13-2001 11:48 PM
Replies: 17
Last post by: Dave Gunsul on 04-18-2001 08:15 PM
Cplensdorf

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2001 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CplensdorfClick Here to visit Cplensdorf's HomePageSend a Private Message to CplensdorfDirect Link to This Post
I have searched the posts and I can not find a definitive configuration for this conversion. If converting a 2.8L to a 3.1L(turbo after engine break-in), exactly what components are required? I have two engines right now. One new crate motor (0 miles, 2.8) and one rebuilt 2.8L (shortblock)with a 3.1 crank and dished pistons and Compucam 2030(?) cam. I want go with the 3.1 with the new top end on the rebuilt bottom end. Will I need an adjustable fuel regulator, also? How do I know if this is necessary? How does one determine how much to adjust the fuel pressure? Is it simply trail and error?

Any other suggestions on the two engines? Should I stay with the stock 2.8 (maybe Compucam only) and use this for the turbo setup or go for the maximum and use the rebuilt 3.1. I am concerned about the compression ratio increase. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Thanks in advance.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Sillhouette.com

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2001 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sillhouette.comClick Here to visit Sillhouette.com's HomePageSend a Private Message to Sillhouette.comDirect Link to This Post
You have a couple of questions that require a bit more info before a good answer can be given. First off how much boost are you planning to run with your turbo setup. I run 12:1 compression with 9psi boost on a supercharger and stock engine components (2.8). Than you are talking about fuel pressure increase when you really should be talking about fuel volume increase. So a fuel pressure rise will do you no good because you have MAP sensor as opposed to a MAF sensor. You have to adjust the VE tables to get the engine running properly. Don't forget that your engine is runing like a stock engine when at Idle since there is no boost created and whatever small pressure is created it's probably thrown overboard via the pop off valve. You have to play with the VE tables at higher rpms. Design one has a turbo setup Chris West TerryK can help you with it they have done reprogrammings.

Later

onfire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2001 02:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for onfireSend a Private Message to onfireDirect Link to This Post
kslish

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2001 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kslishSend a Private Message to kslishDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cplensdorf:
I have searched the posts and I can not find a definitive configuration for this conversion.

You and me both, however it looks like you are a lot further in the planning stages than I have managed to get. So far all I have is a set of 3.1L Silvolite pistons (part# 1486).

I'll be anxious to see if anyone else has compiled a parts list (I'm just starting mine).

Ken S.
'87 GT and '86 SC
www.westpennfiero.org

gixxer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2001 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gixxerSend a Private Message to gixxerDirect Link to This Post
I'd make sure the CR in the rebuilt engine is under 9:1 or so for a performance turbo installation.
If you are building a turbo system from scratch, I'd suggest buying a Stage II management system from Design One as a starting point. It's computer will at least understand what boost is, and fiddle with injector pulse width and ignition timing to accommodate boost.
You could use an adjustable fuel regulator (I bought one) to make small adjustments to fuel delivery, and/or a rising rate unit added in to get even more fuel. You'll probably need a high volume pump with this stratedgy.
You adjust fuel pressure with a guage attached to the guage port, on the right hand side of the fuel block.
I don't think an adjustable regulator is sufficient by itself to keep a turbo engine alive. You'd probably scatter the engine before you knew anything was wrong.
1)--Read the books "Maximum Boost" and "How to Select and Install Turbochargers".
2)--Talk with the folks at Design One.
Just my $.02 worth.
Cplensdorf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2001 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CplensdorfClick Here to visit Cplensdorf's HomePageSend a Private Message to CplensdorfDirect Link to This Post
Thank you all for the advice. I have decided for various reasons to build the 3.1. I was told by Kevin at Design I that the stock injectors and fuel system has been tested with their Stage I system. Exactly what I was looking for. Does anyone know what I should expect out of the nat. aspirated 3.1 and Compucam upgrade. Will their be a seat-of-the-pants difference?

------------------

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2001 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Will their be a seat-of-the-pants difference?

[/B][/QUOTE]

i have 3.1 turbo and answer is YES !!! like going from a 4 cyl to a 6 cyl.

------------------

Cplensdorf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2001 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CplensdorfClick Here to visit Cplensdorf's HomePageSend a Private Message to CplensdorfDirect Link to This Post
No, I mean w/o the turbo. Prior to dropping the 3K on the turbo, am I going to feel any diference from a 2.8 to the 3.1 and cam.
Dave Gunsul

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2001 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave GunsulSend a Private Message to Dave GunsulDirect Link to This Post
I would suggest that you keep the comp.
lower than 9.0:1 as well.
I have have heard several horror
stories about 3.1 V6's with 9.0:1 comp.
crushing the second piston landing on the
number 5 piston using the turbo set-up.

------------------
Dave Gunsul
N.I.F.E. member
86 GT modified
85 SE daily driver

Cplensdorf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2001 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CplensdorfClick Here to visit Cplensdorf's HomePageSend a Private Message to CplensdorfDirect Link to This Post
Can you elaborate on this as I have seen NO writing to this effect. If you know of someone, can you please ask them to post on this site. Thanks.
Dave Gunsul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2001 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave GunsulSend a Private Message to Dave GunsulDirect Link to This Post
Unfortunately I can't get a hold of most of these people becuase I read a few in old issues of F.O.C.O.A.'s newsletter that my
clubs membership director had lent me.
But, the guy you should talk to has built
a custom turbo 3.4 that he designed himself
for his 86-87 GT!! I don't know if he's on
this forum but I do know he reads the Fiero list, so you might want to post something
their. sorry I can't remember his name.
Anyone else know who I'm talking about that
knows his name??

------------------
Dave Gunsul
N.I.F.E. member
86 GT modified
85 SE daily driver

PFF
System Bot
Dave Gunsul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2001 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave GunsulSend a Private Message to Dave GunsulDirect Link to This Post

Dave Gunsul

3543 posts
Member since Apr 2001
BTW i didn't mean this guy actually designed his own turbo, he used a Ford turbo.
He has a web page too but I'll be damned
if I can remember the address either.
I must be losing my mind.

------------------
Dave Gunsul
N.I.F.E. member
86 GT modified
85 SE daily driver

Voytek

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2001 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VoytekSend a Private Message to VoytekDirect Link to This Post
Cplensdorf - I just had my 2.8 rebuilt to a 3.1 and only have about 800 miles on it since rebuild (if I understand correctly, that's what you're trying to do). I have 3.1 crank, pistons and performance cam. The answer is NO: there is no seat-of-the-pants difference, BUT there IS a significant difference from the stock 2.8. I haven't revved it real high yet (only 3500 so far) and haven't floored it yet but it feels VERY strong. From 35 MPH to 60 MPH I actually kept up with a supercharged T-bird. Naturally that car was much heavier with 3 people in it but it still felt pretty good. To make a long story short, yes, there is a definite difference over the stock 2.8 but it's not neck-snapping. (oh yeah, I also put the Sprint manifolds on mine and I think that helped a bit too)
Cplensdorf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2001 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CplensdorfClick Here to visit Cplensdorf's HomePageSend a Private Message to CplensdorfDirect Link to This Post
Voytek - What cam did you use? I am using the CompUcam 2030(?). Does the stroke and cam change make a difference in the sound of the engine? Did you do any porting? Head work?

fropuff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2001 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fropuffSend a Private Message to fropuffDirect Link to This Post
Originally posted by Dave Gunsul:
"...But, the guy you should talk to has built
a custom turbo 3.4 that he designed himself
for his 86-87 GT!! I don't know if he's on
this forum but I do know he reads the Fiero list, so you might want to post something
their. sorry I can't remember his name.
Anyone else know who I'm talking about that
knows his name??"

-Is it Dennis LaGrua? If so, the site is: http://members.nbci.com/dlagrua/turbo.htm

------------------
Fuzz busters are for those who are worried about being caught.

Voytek

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2001 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VoytekSend a Private Message to VoytekDirect Link to This Post
Cplensdorf - the cam they put in my car is a Federal Mogul. I have no idea if this is a good name or not but the engine rebuilders who did my car seem to think it's a pretty good cam. To answer your other questions, no, it does not make a big difference in the sound. In fact, the car seems to run smoother and therefore quieter (I was hoping it would sound more aggressive). It definetely feels very smooth on the highway. Most of the power difference that I noticed is in the 2000-3000 rpm (I haven't had it past 3500 yet). The heads were completely remanufactured and shaved to get more compression but no porting work was done. If I had to do this over again, I'd probably put an aluminum head 3.1 from another GM in my car. I've seen a Fiero run one of those and the power increase seems to be a lot more than just boring out the stock 2.8. The only drawback is no more stock look (can't change over the intake plenum).
Dave Gunsul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2001 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave GunsulSend a Private Message to Dave GunsulDirect Link to This Post
YES!! YES!! That's the guy!!
Thanks Frogpuf.
Take a look at Dennis's turbo page it should
answer ALL your questions and if not you can
email him, he's very knowledgeable about turbos and should be able to help you.

Thanks again Frog.

------------------
Dave Gunsul
N.I.F.E. member
86 GT modified
85 SE daily driver

Dave Gunsul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2001 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave GunsulSend a Private Message to Dave GunsulDirect Link to This Post

Dave Gunsul

3543 posts
Member since Apr 2001
Oops I ment FROPUFF.
Jeez, I really must be losing it. ;-)

------------------
Dave Gunsul
N.I.F.E. member
86 GT modified
85 SE daily driver

All times are ET (US)