Started on: 02-17-2001 04:11 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: Tigger on 02-20-2001 11:04 AM
Tigger

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2001 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TiggerSend a Private Message to TiggerDirect Link to This Post
Quick question. I'm looking to put an aftermarket shift knob in my 4 spd manual.

Before I put the car away for the winter I had tried 5/8 fine and coarse jam nuts and they didn't work. Does anyone know the thread size? Is it 14 mm, coarse or fine?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JohnnyK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 354
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2001 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyKSend a Private Message to JohnnyKDirect Link to This Post
Man, I made my own and ran into some problems. 5/8 looked good to me, but it never worked so I assume it is metric. I can't really remember if it was course or fine though.. Fine comes to mind though?
FieroJoe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2001 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJoeSend a Private Message to FieroJoeDirect Link to This Post
I made my own knob on our lathe out of aluminum, and polished it up. I was going to thread it, but had a hard time figuring out the thread. None of the metric nuts at work would fit it. Since then, I dont use the knob anymore, and I also got a full metric tap and die set. I will go out tomorrow and check the pitch after work and post it here if someone else hasnt yet.

anyway, here is a pic of the knob I made...this is before I polished it (only pic I got right now)

Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2001 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
Looks good. I'd like to know the size and pitch of the threads, too. Maybe I'll have to find a decent shop around here to make me a knob.
danny boy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2001 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for danny boySend a Private Message to danny boyDirect Link to This Post
16MM. pain trying to find an aftermarket knob for. I cut the shifter out of the bracket and welded in a 12mm by 1.5 rod in its place. Result=short shifter and most aftermarket knobs will fit.
FieroJoe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2001 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJoeSend a Private Message to FieroJoeDirect Link to This Post
danny boy is right, it is 16mm by 1.5mm pitch, just went out and checked right now.

------------------
FieroJoe
c311t@yahoo.com
AIM: Fiero87311, Snowboarder0311

Tigger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2001 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TiggerSend a Private Message to TiggerDirect Link to This Post
Thank You guys.

I'll see if I can get one that size or try to make it work.

stsmithgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2001 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stsmithgtClick Here to visit stsmithgt's HomePageSend a Private Message to stsmithgtDirect Link to This Post
I couldn't find an after market one to fit(16mm) so I drilled one out and tapped it. Gave it the old school look with a "T" handle.
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2001 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post
I will soon have a new shifter option. A 1/2" diameter shaft shifter so you can use aftermarket knobs. I was thinking that I probably will not even thread the end. Most aftermarket knobs have set screws it seems. Or I can thread them to 1/2" fine thread. Any input? This shifter arm would be painted semigloss black and will include a black leather shift boot glued to a steel ring. Probably $79 and shipping. All new parts. Looking for input on threading the shaft. How many of you have bought aftermarket shifter knobs that only work on a threaded shaft?
Tigger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2001 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TiggerSend a Private Message to TiggerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by stsmithgt:
Gave it the old school look with a "T" handle.

I'm going with a "T" handle shifter too.
Looks like I'm gunna to have to do the same with mine.

FieroJoe, that is a cool shift knob.

Idea sounds cool Rodney. Threading the shaft with 1/2 threads would work for me.

[This message has been edited by Tigger (edited 02-20-2001).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock