How much paint for the whole car? by SteveJ
Started on: 02-12-2001 07:26 PM
Replies: 10
Last post by: 1FST2M6 on 02-14-2001 08:22 AM
SteveJ

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2001 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SteveJSend a Private Message to SteveJDirect Link to This Post
A couple of years ago I repainted a full size Ford with acrylic enamel and it came out quite well. So for those who have painted the Fiero did you use laquer and how much paint did it take?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mark

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2001 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSend a Private Message to MarkDirect Link to This Post
Can you still buy straight lacquer? I'm not sure. Here is a link that has some good info http://users.hsonline.net/kpmorris/painting_fiero.htm
SteveJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2001 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SteveJSend a Private Message to SteveJDirect Link to This Post
Hey thanks Mark. That is a great site for repainting. I'll print it out and reread it until summer when I can shoot some paint.
MrPBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2001 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MrPBodyClick Here to visit MrPBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to MrPBodyDirect Link to This Post
I used catalyzed acrylic enamel. (I think.) For a color change, you probably need at least a gallon, plus whatever amount you spill (like I did).

Cooter

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2001 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterDirect Link to This Post
For a straight up re-paint over a decent original finish, 2 quarts of base and 2-3 quarts of clear will be enough. Keep in mind that base mixes 1 to 1 with reducer and clear is also mixed with hardener and reducer to varying amounts depending on the company.

------------------
Just because you can't do it doesn't mean it can't be done.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2001 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I used to use catalyded acrylic enamel on all over jobs except custom show jobs. They have changed the ingredients in the last few years (EPA) and its not nearly as good as it used to be, dulls back after only a year or two. Laquer for the most part now is not available (EPA again). Only a few auto paint stores have any and thats limited to what is in stock already. I use urathane basecoat/clearcoat now almost exclusivly. It holds out gloss for a long time with minimum upkeep. I painted my whole Ferriero (Ferrari kit/Fiero, hehe) with 1 qt of red base, 1 qt of clear. Did 3 coats of each with an HVLP gun, wet color sanded and rubbed.

------------------

1FST2M6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2001 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1FST2M6Click Here to visit 1FST2M6's HomePageSend a Private Message to 1FST2M6Direct Link to This Post
took 3 full quarts of orange to shoot my car and another 3 of clear. and ther was NONE left over...
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2001 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Damn......you guys need to get an HVLP gun. I painted my whole Cessna airplane with 2 gallons. I can paint any car except big like Lincolns or Caddys with a quart af basecoat. When I just do repairs like a new bumper or fender, I just buy as little as a 1/4 pint of paint from my supplier. ICI sells 1/4, 1/2, full pints. ICI is a division of PPG so its good quality.
Mark

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2001 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSend a Private Message to MarkDirect Link to This Post

Roger, that coverage you got with the HVLP gun seem pretty amazing. Virtually no overspray or what? Also, whats your thoughts on flex additive (for front and rear facias), as well as adhesion promoters (for same)? Lastly, on an overall repaint, how and when is the flex additive used? Do you just paint everything except facias first, then add additive?
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2001 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
HVLP means high volume of paint with low pressure. I use 8 pounds when painting. almost no overspray, it all goes on the car. I dont even wear a mask or cover other cars inside except when I put on the clear topcoat. That will harden on everything and wont come off. As for the flex agent, It is and always has been a total waste of money. I was already in business when it was invented and none of them do anything except pad the paint co pockets. I just use the normal paint and clear on the whole car all at the same time.
1FST2M6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2001 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1FST2M6Click Here to visit 1FST2M6's HomePageSend a Private Message to 1FST2M6Direct Link to This Post
I've got a Sata 90. and a POS DeVilbiss primer siphon. eheheh YEAH what roger said about the flex agents! glad to hear somone else say that!

[This message has been edited by 1FST2M6 (edited 02-14-2001).]

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock