3.1 turbo Grand prix by COUNTIBLIS
Started on: 02-04-2001 03:23 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: william_thorniii on 02-06-2001 12:21 PM
COUNTIBLIS

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2001 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for COUNTIBLISSend a Private Message to COUNTIBLISDirect Link to This Post
Ok looking at the specs from a n/a 3.1 and specs from the turbo 3.1 out of a grand prix, I dont see much of a difference and a problem of just adding the set up to my 3.1.

displacement on a n/a 3.1 is 313cc/192 cu in

dispalcement on a turbo 3.1 is 191 cu in 3128cc

the compression ratio on a n/a 3.1 is 8.9:1
the compression ratio on a turbo 3.1 is 8.7:1

ok to me this isnt a big difference, but im just a learner, what do some of you experienced guys think?

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2001 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Count,
Good luck finding parts. GM only made this engine for a year or two. It was replaced by the 3.4 DOHC. I've heard that replacement parts were outrageously expensive, if you can find 'em at all.
Sorry. Please let us know if you find out differently...

------------------
Raydar - aka Steve

88 T-top Formula
88 soon-to-be-V6 coupe

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 02-04-2001).]

william_thorniii

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2001 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for william_thorniiiSend a Private Message to william_thorniiiDirect Link to This Post
count,

There really isn't a huge difference in the set-up between the two. Why? GM/McLaren designed the 3.1L Turbo engine for small amounts of boost. I have a friend with an 89 GP Turbo and a Turbo Regal. I will see if I can get him to review your question.

William T. Thorn, III

william_thorniii

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2001 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for william_thorniiiSend a Private Message to william_thorniiiDirect Link to This Post
Gents,

My buddy sent a response to my questions regarding the differences between the Turbo 3.1 Vs NA 3.1.

"As far as I can recall, there isn't much different between the NA and the Turbo 3.1L. I know they had hardened steel cranks and I think forged rods. The Turbo engine has a different block (to accommodate for the Turbo oil galley plug, that's it). It has a .01" higher deck height to lower the compression by .1. I can't think of anything else that made it different. I put the question out on the list however, and if anything comes up in the next few days I will let you know. "

William T. Thorn, III

terryk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2001 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for terrykSend a Private Message to terrykDirect Link to This Post
WT3, was the Dave Zug or Jeff Midaugh?
william_thorniii

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2001 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for william_thorniiiSend a Private Message to william_thorniiiDirect Link to This Post
terryk,

no... it was a college buddy that used to live in Joliet, IL, but just moved down to Indianapolis. His name is Dominic C. Petan.

William T. Thorn, III

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock