2.8 Turbo or supercharger? by EdsB52
Started on: 08-16-2000 10:27 PM
Replies: 10
Last post by: ThatRickGuy on 08-18-2000 09:24 AM
EdsB52

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-16-2000 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EdsB52Send a Private Message to EdsB52Direct Link to This Post
I'm going to rebuild my 2.8. I've toyed with the idea of acquiring a larger engine, but have all but dismissed the idea. Members have posted info on a turbo unit and a supercharger manufactured in Canada, and I thank you for that info. Does anyone else have info on other manufacturers of turbo or supercharger kits? Please post.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Carrolles

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2000 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarrollesSend a Private Message to CarrollesDirect Link to This Post
The only supercharger kit I've heard of for the 2.8 replaces the air conditioner compressor. If you have info on a different one please post it.

Thanks,

Carroll

Xtreme Fiero's

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2000 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Xtreme Fiero'sClick Here to visit Xtreme Fiero's's HomePageSend a Private Message to Xtreme Fiero'sDirect Link to This Post
RS-Motorsports makes a S/C kit they say it makes 200hp @ the wheels, does this replace the A/C? I prefer a turbo over a Supercharger allthough a S/C does have more bang for the buck and for someone who want's a "good" power boost a supercharger will do it, A turbo has more room to control Boost and pou out way more bood than a S/C.
Xtreme Fiero's

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2000 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Xtreme Fiero'sClick Here to visit Xtreme Fiero's's HomePageSend a Private Message to Xtreme Fiero'sDirect Link to This Post

Xtreme Fiero's

496 posts
Member since Aug 2000
Also, You say you are going to rebuild your 2.8, Just put in a 3.1 crank, bore the block .20 over and get 3.1 rods & pistons. That will giver you a 3.2L V6 and they are thing that need to be done any way.
Megafiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2000 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MegafieroSend a Private Message to MegafieroDirect Link to This Post
About the RS-Motorsports supercharger, if you noticed it says 9HP at the wheels, well I talked to one of their techs and he said that was a typo, he said depending on the pully size they send out with it, it makes from 6-12 psi, and yes it is the SC kit that takes place of the AC.

------------------

EdsB52

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-17-2000 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EdsB52Send a Private Message to EdsB52Direct Link to This Post
Thanks everyone. Hey xtreme fiero, if I do as you recommend, is there any specific year or engine code I should look for in regard to the crank and rods? Any type of vehicle? Also, should I use forged pistons if I use a turbo or s/c? TIA, Ed.
EdsB52

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-17-2000 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EdsB52Send a Private Message to EdsB52Direct Link to This Post

EdsB52

850 posts
Member since Jul 2000
Oh, another question. The 3.1 rods obviously increase the stroke. Does this lower your usable red-line? Does it noticably lower your mileage and engine life? Thanks
1FST2M6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2000 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1FST2M6Click Here to visit 1FST2M6's HomePageSend a Private Message to 1FST2M6Direct Link to This Post
no it doesn't lower your redline.. the weak vavle train and wimpy cam sets that. a good set of springs and valves from SI or Ferrea will reduce your valve train mass and increase your redline. Don't expect 10,000rpm but you'll be able to pull 7500+ as long as it's properly balanced. my stock 2.8 would pull to 7200 on the dyno with no ill-effects, other than making less hp and TQ at that rpm range than from its factory set 1800-5200 power band. you'll need to increase the throttle body size cause after about 6000 you'r just suckin wind and not makin any real power. (not useable anyway) Forged pistons are great for forced induction applications. Hypereutectic pistons are better cause they'll dispearse the heat faster but you can't put nitrous to a hyper piston. also if your gunna run a Turbo or S/C try and keep your compression dow.. 8.5-9.5:1 with the lower compression you can run more boost and not loose drivability or have really crappy fuel economy.

[This message has been edited by 1FST2M6 (edited 08-17-2000).]

Xtreme Fiero's

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2000 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Xtreme Fiero'sClick Here to visit Xtreme Fiero's's HomePageSend a Private Message to Xtreme Fiero'sDirect Link to This Post
I am not sure of any Vin code for the 3.1 you may want to check out Ed Parks. I'm sure some body knows the web address. I think you could even go up to 3.3 mabye 3.4 or more !
Megafiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2000 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MegafieroSend a Private Message to MegafieroDirect Link to This Post
The largest you can make a 2.8L is a 3.2L,
a 2.8 with a stroke of "3.31" instead of "2.99" and bored .020" over is actually not a 3.2L nor is a .030" over bore, still a 3.1L, but that is usually what people call them. This is their way of refuring to the motor as being a 2.8L that is stroked and bored, instead of a GM built 3.1L. To ataine an actually 3.2 you need to bore it over .060".

My motor is bored .060" over, and is still stock stroke "2.99" and it is a 2.9L, but if you want to use nitrous, turbo, or SC I would not recomend any more then a .030" overbore, you don't want to lose to much streagh if you are going to add boost.

------------------

ThatRickGuy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2000 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ThatRickGuyClick Here to visit ThatRickGuy's HomePageSend a Private Message to ThatRickGuyDirect Link to This Post
Also, if you're going to swap to the 3.1 crank, you need the crank, and 3.1 pistons. The rods are the same, but the 3.1 pistons hold the rod higher to make up for the difference in stroke. My 2.8 lost a ring ping and started making some horride noises so it's in the shop now getting just that done to it, the 3.1 crank, and bore (still waiting to see what size I can go, people say you can go .060 but others have said it's a little risky with the thinner cylinder walls) also getting the whole thing balanced, and a full prof rebuild, I beleive a 3 angle valve job comes along with the price, but after all is said an done, it's only a little cheeper then getting a crate engine, but you won't have to pay to get the mods done to get it in, and you don't have to worry about new wiring, or any other strange things.
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock