Started on: 07-27-2000 01:43 AM
Replies: 38
Last post by: GT Bastard on 07-30-2000 05:18 PM
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2000 01:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
We are currently working on a LS1 kit, we are finally just a few weeks away from our first firing of the engine. As many know, I've had a SBC V-8 Chevy engine conversion kit for the Fiero for 14+ years now. Over the years, we've used variations of this original V-8 conversion kit to mount everything from old 283 engines of the early '60's, to the 4.3 V-6's, to LT4's of the late '90's.

Then came the LS1....... When I first set out to make a kit for the LS1 into Fiero swap, I figured that I could re-design a couple of the main parts of my kit and come up with a design that would work just fine for the LS1. That wasn't the case. Although the engine/transmission adapter plate has the same bolt pattern locations, EVERYTHING else was different. Because of dimensional and engine block style differences with the LS1, EVERY part of the LS1 kit had to be custom designed for this application only. Although the LS1 engine/transmission adapter plate has the same function as my other adapter plates, the design profile is totally different. With my regular V-8 kit the Flywheel, to do the things it had to do and fit in the envelope it had to fit in, had to be a custom design. No Flywheel that GM ever made could be modified to adequately do what I needed it to do correctly. Same thing with the new LS1/Fiero Flywheel, which is a totally custom design. The design and manufacture of this LS1 Flywheel ended up taking more than 6 months to get right. Because of the "Y" block style of the LS1, the starter mounting (which is very simple on my other kits) is a very intricate design. You can bet these parts will be aggressively protected with design Patents.

Because of the design, manufacture & machine costs of the LS1 parts, the upcoming LS1 swap kits will be considerably more expensive than our "normal" V-8 kits.

From what I know right now I KNOW that you MUST use an LS1 ECM from a stick shift car. And I'm pretty sure, at this time, that the automatic wire harness that comes with the crate engine cannot be used.

The LS1 swap using a new engine is not going to be for the "Weak of Wallet".... Not only does the engine cost much more than any other GM crate engine, but the engine controls will be quite expensive (we paid like $1800 for the ECM & After market harness from S&P), and the V-8 conversion kit, because of it's limited production, and intricate machining will be more
expensive.

BUT, when you're done, you'll have a very UNIQUE Fiero.

And all of this was designed by someone some of you claim doesn't know what he's doing.

Archie

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
GT Bastard

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2000 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GT BastardClick Here to visit GT Bastard's HomePageSend a Private Message to GT BastardDirect Link to This Post
Archie, it's great that you're building an LS1 kit, but I'm a little confused as to why you ended your post with "And all of this was designed by someone some of you claim doesn't know what he's doing." You might know exactly what you're doing, but that last statement is just asking for flames. Just take your head out of your ass and come down to earth.
1FieroGTRacingInc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2000 01:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1FieroGTRacingIncSend a Private Message to 1FieroGTRacingIncDirect Link to This Post
HHHhhmmm..... I wonder if we are still frame cutting and pushing stuff into the wheel well's or is this kit designed TO FIT CORRECTLY... He didnt mention any of this...
Steve... 85GT,87GT,842m4
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2000 02:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
My understanding is that you don't have to cut the frame on Archies regular V8 kit, just the wheel well liner for the water pump or something.
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2000 02:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1FieroGTRacingInc:
HHHhhmmm..... .
Steve... 85GT,87GT,842m4

Pretty interesting..... Steve will sit behind his Keyboard and take shots at people, he'll even tell people what Fieros he drives. But he won't actually take responsibility for his smart mouth by telling you who he is or where he is.

Yep, another tough guy heard from.

Another Jerk to be ignored.

Archie

olympic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2000 03:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olympicSend a Private Message to olympicDirect Link to This Post
I think I read somewhere that the ls1 engine fits entirely into the engine bay because the water pump is cam driven and doesn't stick out. I admire Archie for having the determination to make this kit. For those of you who don't know much about the ls1 it is one h*ll of an engine. All aluminum and it makes 360+ flywheel hp right from the factory. The F-bodys it comes in run low 13's in the 1/4 right off the showroom floor. Some even claim 12's with just slicks. And all the while getting nearly 30 mpg on the highway. A Fiero with this engine should run mid 12's easily and still have good weight distribution. I for one can't wait to see one of these monsters hit the street.
chris6878

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2000 03:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chris6878Send a Private Message to chris6878Direct Link to This Post
Archie,

Like olympic, i would love to see one of these setups in action on the street. And of course what everyone is wanting to know.... What would one expect to have to pay for this LS1 kit?

batboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2000 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
Well, since the regular V8 kit is more expensive than most of us regular guys can afford, I'll be curious if Archie even sells any of these LS1 kits, except for a few of the elite wealthy that don't mind being verbally abused. Archie, with an attitude like that and calling potential customers a jerk, I personally don't see how you sell anything. I know I'll never buy anything from him. By the way Mr. Tough Guy Archie, email me, I'll be happy to give you my real name and address. I'm sure not afraid of you.

To all the others on the Forum, I'm sorry that I resorted to stooping to his level, but when someone calls one of my Forum friends names, I get a little hot under the collar. With a name like Archie, I'm assuming he's Scottish, and being one too (my middle name is Archibald), I know we have hot tempers, but if you're in a business like he is, you don't say things like that, especially on a public forum where 1000's of people will see it.

[This message has been edited by batboy (edited 12-22-2000).]

1FieroGTRacingInc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2000 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1FieroGTRacingIncSend a Private Message to 1FieroGTRacingIncDirect Link to This Post
HHHhhmmm..... I wonder if we are still frame cutting and pushing stuff into the wheel well's or is this kit designed TO FIT CORRECTLY... He didnt mention any of this...
Steve... 85GT,87GT,842m4
Pretty interesting..... Steve will sit behind his Keyboard and take shots at people, he'll even tell people what Fieros he drives. But he won't actually take responsibility for his smart mouth by telling you who he is or where he is.

Yep, another tough guy heard from.

Another Jerk to be ignored.

Archie

Hey Archie.... what did my reply say???????

IT SAID ..."I WONDER" YOU ARE SOOOO FREAKING PARANOID THAT SOMEONE IS TALKING ABOUT YOU. DID YOU SAY.. "My New LS1 Kit fit's into the engine bay COMPLETELY, and there is NO CUTTING OF THE WHEEL WELL"

Did you say that???? sh!t No... Oooohh by the way, I almost forgot......

Steve LeBlanc
19980 Channel View Drive
Tyler,Texas 75762
Home # (903)825-7744
Pager# (903) 528-4512

Archie, Have a drink, smoke a joint, something , just CALM DOWN AND BE NICE TO PEOPLE you freaking a$$hole!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Terrybogin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2000 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TerryboginSend a Private Message to TerryboginDirect Link to This Post
Here we go again!
fropuff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2000 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fropuffSend a Private Message to fropuffDirect Link to This Post
When do you plan on being done, Archie?

[This message has been edited by fropuff (edited 07-27-2000).]

PFF
System Bot
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2000 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
I must be nuts or something.

This Forum is called "Technical Discussions & Questions" Considering that title & considering that I've been asked a lot of questions about LS1's, I set down and write a long post about this new project, trying to address the issues of cost, design & function. Somehow I had the impression that a nice Technical thread could be started on the subject. But no way, within 10 minutes of making the original post I'm already being flamed and called names. It's almost like some people just sit back and wait for the chance to flame away at me. I had hoped that my post could start a new relationship with this group. A relationship based on TECHNICAL issues and not on flames and name calling.

I had actually thought that an intelligent conversation could begin with my post.

I must be nuts or something.

I think Cliff should start a new section for the purpose of flaming me. Then maybe this section can then be used to discuss TECHNICAL issues.

Archie

b lo 0

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2000 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for b lo 0Click Here to visit b lo 0's HomePageSend a Private Message to b lo 0Direct Link to This Post
Archie-If you wanna get some real replies, IGNORE IT when people "flame" you. If you keep pushing it, it only gets worse. Just a suggestion.

------------------
'85 GT (in progress)
titled ICE-plates B LO 0

Go to www.audioimagery.i-p.com !!!

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2000 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post
I appreciate you posting this information, Archie. But saying something like "And all of this was designed by someone some of you claim doesn't know what he's doing." will generate some flames ofcourse.

I'm not saying this warrants some of the replies you are getting, I'm just saying you're giving them an excuse for it.

So just ignore what you think are attacks - and only reply to serious inquiries. Likewise, if people feel they are attacked by Archie, ignore that as well. You'll see that suddenly things will become a whole lot more civilized.

So let's get back to the original topic, shall we? First one to reply with a flame is a rotten egg!

lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2000 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post
Archie,
Does this kit involve any cutting. These are important questions that someone like me would want to know before purchasing. The LS1 is the only V8 I would put in my Fiero. I'm not a fan of the Northstar or LT(X) or ZZ engines. I have done a 3.4 swap recently and if the engine proves reliable, I will turbo it, but if it doesn't, V8 is my next and final step.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2000 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

This is not a flame, just an observation...

Archie, as one of the longer serving members of this forum, I've probably seen every flame war we've ever had here. Hell, I've been the target of a couple myself. I wasn't involved with the previous thread(s) that you had problems in, but I certainly read all the nonsense that took place. I have no comment on who was to "blame" for those incidents because I honestly don't know for sure. However, when I began to read your post at the beginning of this thread, I thought to myself, what a class guy Archie is to return to this forum and post such a thoughtful, informative piece. I couldn't believe it when I got to the last sentence! What was going through your head? Despite what you may state, I believe you must actually enjoy being a target. Do you subscribe to the theory that bad publicity is better than no publicity?

You're no kid Archie. You're old enough to know that at any internet forum which is predominantly male, it doesn't take much to start the cyber chest-thumping. It seems to me that you've purposely gone out of your way to incite yet another flame war here. If this is what your plan was all along, please spare us the crocodile tears.

Most of us would love to have you post here about the work you do with Fieros. Can you not just leave it at that?

SCCA FIERO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2000 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIERODirect Link to This Post
Well I do think that last line in Archie's post wasn't a good idea, but he does drive a Fiero and helps the ones that do wish to make their Fiero a straight-line rocket, so he has to be an OK guy (even if he has a strage way with words). I just hate it when the crap starts flying around here. Let's all be grown-ups (atleast grown kids ) about it and let it go. Can we??

I do know one thing: I will be dreaming of an LS1 Fiero for a while to come. And that's as close as my poor a$$ will get to one

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2000 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
COME ON GUYS !!!! this is a forum to help or brag on ur cars, not a personal bash room. Ive never met archie, but know theres lots of his kits. Personally im satisified very well with my V6. This is why there are thousands of car types, models-to each there own. I appreciate the work that goes into making these swaps work. So lets be COOL and knock off the slamming

my nickles worth
RG

jhogans

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2000 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jhogansSend a Private Message to jhogansDirect Link to This Post
Archie or Anybody else,

What kind of performance would I expect out of an LS1 swap?

How much does a LS1 engine cost?

How much money can I expect to pay for one of your turnkey installs for such a swap.

Thanks for any info.

elfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2000 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for elfieroClick Here to visit elfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to elfieroDirect Link to This Post
your looking at about:
1. engine-used $5,000to8,000
2. a-dapter kit$2,500(plate&mounts)
3. PCM$harness$1,500
4. flywheel$500
So,your minium total will be$10,000 for a
first class job.
My advice is put in a standard SBC it works
good and the bugs have been worked out of the
swap.Besides,you will not find a good used
engine for at least 2years-all that are in
the yards now have been hit hard or burned-
that's what it takes to total a 35,000+
car!
88formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2000 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88formulaClick Here to visit 88formula's HomePageSend a Private Message to 88formulaDirect Link to This Post
Reader discretion is advised.
PFF
System Bot
stimpy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 386
User Banned

Report this Post07-27-2000 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stimpySend a Private Message to stimpyDirect Link to This Post
I sure am glad I have nothing for sale.

Archie, although I'm sure Cobra 427 still thinks I am slamming you at every opportunity, I respect the fact that you have kept a presence on the forum here. I will go on record that I agree that the last line of your post was kinda "asking for it" but I am dismayed at some of the responses.
For some reason some people have a hardon for vendors. Ask Chris West. But you guys are the ones that make it happen. People, are we to believe that the Fiero would be such a hot platform for kit cars if the only powerplant option was the 2.8-3.4? Sorry, don't think so.

Anyhow, if Archie or Chris wants to hire me to handle PR, I'll gladly take an LS1 (or even a s/c 3.8 5spd) in payment! Please email me with job offers. I know y'all are too busy actually innovating and producing to go around kissin ass.

------------------

Supernaut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2000 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SupernautClick Here to visit Supernaut's HomePageSend a Private Message to SupernautDirect Link to This Post
Hi Archie,

I'm glad you posted about the LS1 swap on here, I spoke with you on the phone a few weeks ago on this very subject and was wondering how it turned out. You made a good point on the phone, the LS1 is cost-prohibitive for the average enthusiast and the LT1 or comparable swap still makes more sense concerning "bang for the buck".

As a businessman myself, I certainly appreciate Archie's willingness to spend time on the phone with a prospective customer to explain the pros and cons of various fiero engine mods, even a few minutes to shoot the sh*t on various wrenchead topics (on his dime no less).

It is real easy to fall in love with the traditional exotic sports cars and be a 'vette man or a porsche guy...etc., but it takes a special breed to love, care for, and pour blood and sweat into the advancement of the much-maligned Fiero. We all do it, and we love it...and we all hold strong opinions about it - even to the point of being almost too quick on the defensive.

I have fallen in love with this forum, it is an unbelievable source of incredibly valuable information about our babies and a helluva good social exchange at the same time. Hell, when a flame breaks out I get the same feeling I used to get on the occasions when I would hear my parents arguing when I was a kid! LOL

Peace to all, thanks to all for the info and the opinions, and thanks to Archie for sharing this new development...I will be ordering my kit before too long (might be a good Christmas for bonuses around here)

my 2 monetary units respectfully submitted

------------------
Supernaut
86 GT (in progress)

KnightRyder31

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2000 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KnightRyder31Send a Private Message to KnightRyder31Direct Link to This Post
Archie,
I really love your work...and I admire all you have done. I just wanted to say that. I also would lovee to hear about you daily progress on any project. It was very cool of you to post whats going on...BUT, if you want to make good buisness, you really should avoid comments like: "And all of this was designed by someone some of you claim doesn't know what he's doing." If you avoid this kind of talk, you might even make more friends.

----Knight----

[This message has been edited by KnightRyder31 (edited 07-27-2000).]

1FieroGTRacingInc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2000 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1FieroGTRacingIncSend a Private Message to 1FieroGTRacingIncDirect Link to This Post
To ALL INCLUDING Mr.Archie.....

I WAS NOT trying to start ANYTHING by my post. I was just pointing out that the cutting and the kit fitting inside the engine compartment. I personally did'nt even think anything about the last coment made by Mr. Archie.... I know that he is an , nevermind... I just thought that the comment was part of his personality... I DID NOT ,REPEAT, DID NOT WANT TO START ANYTHING... I APOLOGISE TO ALL THE FORUM MEMBER'S,INCLUDING Mr. Archie... I'm Sorry!!!

Steve 85GT,87GT,842m4

Formula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2000 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaDirect Link to This Post
LS1 in a vete....DROOL

LS1 in a Fiero...NOW THIS IS DRIVING EXCITEMENT

I volunteer to test drive an LS1 Fiero!!!!

btw, does this mean that all Ls1 fieros will have manual transmissions because of the ecm or is it possible just to reprogram the ecm into thinking its just a 3 spd manual? I guess anyone with a Ls1 will have a 4 spd with overdrive out of a grand am or something.

Archie, keep up the good work!

V8Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2000 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for V8FieroSend a Private Message to V8FieroDirect Link to This Post
DITTOS Stimpy!!!!!!
Dan86gt3.8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2000 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dan86gt3.8Send a Private Message to Dan86gt3.8Direct Link to This Post
Ok, here my take. The ls1 is pretty awesome. My friend has a 99 t/a and it is damn fast. But then again this past weekend I saw an lt1 that had lt4 heads and intake swap done and he beat a lingenfleter c4 383 vette on motor. I witnessed this first hand at some street races. the lt4 camaro runs 11.60's and thats on the stock lt1 shortblock. With all the extra cost and stuff I think that an lt1 with some porting done or some lt4 stuff would get you more bang for the buck. Just an idea, but ls1's are not un-beatable, especially with some of the bad drivers I have sen get in them. Granted if you put a stock ls1 against a stock lt1 the ls1 is better but it does not take much to wake up the lt1.

I am also glad to hear progress on the ls1 project. I thought you gave up on it. If I ever get rid of my 3.8 and I do make a v8 fiero i will most likely swap to an lt1/lt4.

ps- what does the kit for the lt1 cost? (stick shift)?

------------------
86 gt fiero
3.8/4speed auto
ace conversion kit
15" konig monsoon's
rear swaybar/ and urethane on rear.
Soon to come urethane all the way around. and new yellow paint w/ raised spoiler!!!!
(also in way future years forced induction on my 3.8!!!!!!!!!)

Bens88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2000 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Bens88GTClick Here to visit Bens88GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Bens88GTDirect Link to This Post
Everyone keeps mentioning the better "bang for the buck" of the LT1, and that it can be made as fast as the LS1, but that ignores the most attractive feature (to me) of the LS1, which the LT1 cannot match... the weight difference!

My Fiero is already too rear-heavy with the stock 2.8 V6, so I certainly don't want it to gain more weight back there with a cast-iron V8! No matter what you do to the LT1, it will not be as light as the all-aluminum LS1.

Expensive? Yes! But it is, theoretically, the "most ideal" V8 swap! That said, I don't know actual numbers. Does anyone know, how much lighter the LS1 is than the LT1? And which is lighter, the LS1 or the Northstar?

Thanks,
Ben

Dan86gt3.8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2000 02:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dan86gt3.8Send a Private Message to Dan86gt3.8Direct Link to This Post
Ok if you are doing a v8 swap you are basically looking for a striaght line monster. I mean there might be a few guys out there trying to roadrace them but if you are concerned about adding a few pounds to the back of the car just forget the whole idea all together. You might look into a quad 4 or something. If I rember right the extra wieght of a v8 is like 150 pounds or so. SO thats more or less a passenger. But as batboy just said in another post, you could build something alott better than the O great and wonderfull ls1 (I bow in awe of its greatness ) Like maybe a balanced and blueprinted shortblock with some aluminum heads and intake. It would be making a whole lot more power than the 7k wonder would be.but that extra 150# in the back is a bit much.... Ohhh ya btw, archie (and others) already have a kit to put something like I just mentioned into a fiero. But hey if you got around 10k+ to blow and have enough time to wait on custom flywheels and stuff go for it!

------------------
86 gt fiero
3.8/4speed auto
ace conversion kit
15" konig monsoon's
rear swaybar/ and urethane on rear.
Soon to come urethane all the way around. and new yellow paint w/ raised spoiler!!!!
(also in way future years forced induction on my 3.8!!!!!!!!!)

batboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2000 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
Actually, the aluminum heads on older style small blocks (which are tried and true for over 40 years) saves about 40-45 pounds, moving the battery up front removes about 20-25 pounds, aluminum intake and headers, save some more (don't know how much). But, now you're down to maybe the 75 pound range, maybe less without all the A/C crap (who has A/C on a hotrod playtoy?). All this for 1/4 to 1/3 the price of a LS1 and probably as much if not more power, and a helluva lot more dependable. Maybe you guys should look into the history of all aluminum engines. They've had plenty of problems in the past. Maybe the LS1 has all those problems worked out. But, are you a gambler? I think I'll wait a few years and see how the longevity of this fancy pants engines hold up. Especially since I built my 36 Ford streetrod truck for less than a LS1 crate motor costs. I'm building a 454 for my 72 truck right now that I'll have about $3,000 wrapped up into it. The truck cost me $1,000. Can you say 500 ft/lbs of torque and well over 400 ponies, still for less than half the price of a LS1. Obviously this will not work in a Fiero, but the point is, the LS1 is WAAAAY overpriced for no more than you're getting. When my 4 grand Batmobile with a worn-out nearly stock 350 can whip up on a new Vette (1 win, 1 loss), why do you need anything more. I think for the $10 grand it will cost to do a LS1 conversion, I'd rather go out and buy a mint 88 GT with super low miles or that 59 Chevy Impala I've had my eye on that has won car show awards. Obviously, this post is merely my personal opinions and you may chose to ignore and disregard anything I say.

[This message has been edited by batboy (edited 07-29-2000).]

PFF
System Bot
fropuff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2000 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fropuffSend a Private Message to fropuffDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by fropuff (edited 07-29-2000).]

fropuff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2000 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fropuffSend a Private Message to fropuffDirect Link to This Post

fropuff

2052 posts
Member since Jan 2000

[This message has been edited by fropuff (edited 07-29-2000).]

Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2000 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
I tend to agree with you Batdood. I think those high falootin fancy engines are impressive, and look OK, but give me a meat 'n potatoes gas guzzler any day! The very reason I stripped all the injection stuff offa my 2.8. (I prefer the look of a proud Holley 4bbl on top of a nice aluminum intake and a cool Edelbrock air filter!)
Don't get me wrong, I admire Archie for all his hard work. Geez, I've done my fair share of fabrication work, including fabricating all the shifter brackets and slave cylinder mods for my current 5 speed conversion, so I KNOW what goes into the process of making a new part. Because of that, I also recognize the need to charge premium rates for it. And hell, as long as there are people with the cash, they'll pay the price.
My philosphy has always been that ANY guy with enough cash can BUY a nice car. I'd rather enjoy the pride that comes from saying "I built it" "See those brackets and fittings there? I fabricated those" My dad says, "...the nut didn't fall far from the tree"....I'm just like him, I could BUY the damn part for twnety bucks, but instead, I'll spend five bucks on materials, and $1,000 in my own personal time MAKING the thing.......

-Taiji

Dan86gt3.8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2000 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dan86gt3.8Send a Private Message to Dan86gt3.8Direct Link to This Post
Batboy you are right on! I have a friend that has about 4k in a motor right now that would be great for a fiero (aluminum heads and intake). Anywho I don't know about the engine not holding up (sorry have to disgree there BB ) Hey archie are you still reading this post what are your opinions????
batboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2000 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
Whoa thar pardner! I didn't say that the LS1 WOULDN'T hold up. I said that in the past, aluminum blocks with aluminum heads had reliablity problems. On the other hand, look at the Northstar. They seem to hold up fairly reasonably, so maybe technology and better head gaskets has finally got everything to work good with these engines. I was saying, that the original small block Chevy design has been around since 1955, so we know the history. Personally, I'm still going to wait a few years to see how the LS1 hold up in the long-run, especially when hotrodded and raced. Now that will tell the true story.
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2000 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
As I pointed out in another post, I was going to be out of town Friday & most of Saturday.

Well it's Saturday night, I'm back and I'm going to try to answer as many questions as I can.

Several people had asked about the price of the upcoming LS1 kit. I really don't have prices figured out yet. We have not 100% completed the first car yet & my time is being put into that (& other projects right now). When we get it done and have time to sit down and figure it all out we will post prices. As you will see later in tis post, IMHO the LS1 swap is not for everyone. I can tell you for sure that the only people who NEED the LS1 are those that just HAVE TO HAVE the "latest". As a few other's have pointed out, there would appear to be several other engine combinations that give a greater HP per $$ R.O.I.. I would expect that we will sell 8 to 10 of the LS1 kits in the first 2 years then, as the engines become cheaper, sales will pick up.

As far as prices for LS1's is concerned let me address that. Also a couple of people have questioned the potential durability of this relatively new (all aluminium) engine. Those that are asking that question are a lot like me. They remember the Vega engine and the 4.1, 4.5 & 4.9 series of Caddie engines and maybe they have heard that the NStars might just now be showing a few design flaws. The new Crate LS1 engines are in the $8K range & that is just for the engine. Currently there are two other sources for used or re-built LS1's. One of those sources is to find one out of a wrecked "F" body car. Now usually I try to steer people away from used engines but after you read the next paragraph you might understand why I'm thinking used LS1's miht even be the best bet.

This is the next paragraph. I wonder how many of you have noticed that there are a lot of low mileage "pull out" LS1 engines showing up at swap meets and places like EBay and out the back door at your local Chevy dealers. A "pull out" engine is an engine that was replaced under warrantee in a '98, '99 or '00 Vette, Camaro or F-Bird. It's kind of interesting the way GM is handling these Warrantee replacement engines. When GM has had to do warrantee replacements on the N-Star engines they has ALWAYS required that the old engine be returned to the factory. That policy keeps the details of any design related flaws (if any) in house & kept the early used engines out of Hot Rodder's hands. On the replacement LS1's, the General is giving the old removed engine to it's employees on the dealership level. I know one local GM parts counter man who has rec'd. 2 of them in the last month. e is going to rebuild the engines and sell them. Why are there so many bad LS1's???? Well here is what I've heard from the "inside". It seems that it is supposed to be "Normal" for the new LS1's to use "A LOT" of oil during the first 5000 miles. Then, supposedly, they stop using so much oil and somehow seal themselves up. Hmmmm...? Service bullitens have been sent to GM personal to advise LS1 owners to check oil everytime they gas up and to add oil everytime it shows a little low. It seems that people who have paid $30K + for a new Camaro, FBird or Vette expect their engines to not use a lot of oil and thus they don't check the oil often enough and are ruining bearings when they run the engines out of oil. So these engines are going out the back door to be rebuilt by Hot Rodders who get ahold of them or to be sold via EBay etc. to unsuspecting "want to be" engine swapping hot rodders.

Ok, so now you should ask "Why would Caddie pull their bad engine back in house and Chevy let the removed engines go thru private re-cyclers?" Well, I'll give you my opinion..... I think that Caddie was taking the engines back because they didn't know what the weak point was and they didn't want the word getting out until they knew the answer. Chevy, on the other hand, knows what the problem is and are working on it. And if chevy leaves the engines go to the Re-cyclers they promote the "performance" image to all the Gearheads out there. So I would caution those who might find an almost new looking LS1 at a swap meet and are told that it's a replacement engine & that it has "less than 10000 miles". From what I understand, if an LS1 makes it thru the first 10K miles without a problem then it's gonna be ok. That's why I lean towards the Used LS1's for now.

Several people had questions or gave info about the axles shafts and the water pumps on the LT1 and LS1. I would like to refer you to my post in the "Axle" thread elsewhere in this Forum, please read it and I think many of the Q's will be answered. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/004956.html.

"Bang For The Buck" & Weight are a couple of other issues that have been brought up. IMHO, Weight is not really an issue. If you compare the LS1 to say a "normal" L98 with it's AL. heads, the LS1 only saves like 85 pounds. On the average an LT1-4 or LS1 swap (done properly) will cost $4K to $8K more than say an L98 swap. If you are the type of driver who will pay that much more money to save 85 pounds then maybe you should remove the sub-woofer system or the power windows or, like someone else suggested, the A/C system. "Bang for the Buck"? ... If you will read the above referenced post, you will see references to some of the modifications & comprimises you have to accept when using the LT1, LT4 and LS1 engines. Whenever someone calls me up and says that they want an LT1 or an LS1 in their Fiero, I try to determine if they are asking about these engines because they REALLY are hot for that engine or if they are asking for an engine because they think it's the "cool" thing to ask for. IMHO, if you are a "Vette freak" or want the LS1 bragging rights then maybe you need one of those engine as long as you know what you're asking for. But, if you are asking because you're buddie told you that it's the BEST way to go, then I'm gonna talk to you about other engines that return a bigger Horsepower/$$$ R.O.I. As you've read, you can build one heck of an engine for a lot less than the price of an LT1 or LS1.

I hope this helps.

Archie

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2000 04:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Archie, that was a very interesting read and I'm sure that helped answer a lot of questions.
GT Bastard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2000 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT BastardClick Here to visit GT Bastard's HomePageSend a Private Message to GT BastardDirect Link to This Post
That's some great info, Archie. The oil consumption theory makes sense. What's your take on the "bent pushrods" in the LS1? Do you believe people are just pushing them too hard, or do you think there is a design flaw? Lt1's don't seem to have real problem in this respect, but they also don't have the reputation for being able to really "rev" so people might be more cautious with them.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock