Started on: 04-18-2000 04:29 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: fierospeeder on 04-19-2000 03:12 AM
JohnnyK

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 354
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2000 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyKSend a Private Message to JohnnyKDirect Link to This Post
On the 2.5 liter engine, is there an easy way to take the starter off? I took out the bolts, and it will rattle, but I cannot get it off because of the shim (whatever it is) blocking the way. I tried bending it out of the way but it won't go enough.. It seems to take that mounting shim thing off you have to totally dismantle what it is attached to, and there is NO way I can reach in there and do this. I don't want to bend it any more because if it snaps then I am really screwed. I am doing this to replace the oil pan. Has anyone ever done this easily? Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Rodrv6

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2000 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rodrv6Send a Private Message to Rodrv6Direct Link to This Post
The only "shim" that should be installed is between the starter and the block. With both bolts removed the shim should pull out easily and should not be blocking the starter from being removed. My 84 has an additionl bracket bolted to the end of the starter and attatched to the block under the A/C compressor. Is this what you are referring to? If so, it is only held to the engine by one bolt. After you remove the nuts holding the brace to the starter, remove the bolt holding the brace to the block. The brace goes up under the compressor mounting bracket, but it can be slid out after the bolt is removed. Then the next trick is trying to figure out which way to rotate the starter to get it out between the cradle and the exhaust. It will fit, but it is tricky!
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2000 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Hmmm.... I don't know what you're referring to. When I removed the two mounting bolts (and the wiring of course) from the starter on my 2.5L, gravity took care of the rest. Any shim that's between the starter and the block certainly isn't going to hold the starter in place. Maybe someone else knows what you're talking about.
JohnnyK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2000 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyKSend a Private Message to JohnnyKDirect Link to This Post
Not shim.. wrong word.. The brace that attaches to the end of the starter.. There is no way to rotate that is there? I tried but it just bends. I undid the bolt, but it seems I would have to undo all the bolts holding the ac compressor on to do that, and I can not do that. After I undo the one bolt attaching the brace, should it swing to move out of the way?
Rodrv6

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2000 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rodrv6Send a Private Message to Rodrv6Direct Link to This Post
Mine was a little snug, but I don't remember having too much trouble working out from under the compressor mount. You might have to GENTLY pry on the compressor mount to free up the bracket. Be careful!! The mount is cast aluminum, so don't break it. My replacement starter didn't have the studs on the end to attatch the bracket to, so I left it off and put a washer under the compressor bracket to fill the gap.
JohnnyK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2000 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyKSend a Private Message to JohnnyKDirect Link to This Post
So if i hooked it up without that bracket, does that mean that if I cut it off (the bracket), I could still hook the starter up without a problem? (With only the two big mounting bolts? That doesn't seem to stable?
But worse case senario, it would be fine?
DaveT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2000 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DaveTSend a Private Message to DaveTDirect Link to This Post
Johnny
you should keep the bracket on the end of the starter.It supports some of the weight of the motor itself,with out it there is more stress on the drive end of the starter which could cause problems later.
Off topic,i'm in the london area any fiero clubs you know of near by?
fierospeeder

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
User Banned

Report this Post04-19-2000 03:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierospeederClick Here to visit fierospeeder's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierospeederDirect Link to This Post
sometimes where you jack your car, the engine will move in a certain position, depending on how worn your trans mounts are and the engine mount is.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock