Started on: 01-25-2000 09:02 AM
Replies: 20
Last post by: Standard on 01-29-2000 06:01 PM
loafer87gt

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2000 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for loafer87gtSend a Private Message to loafer87gtDirect Link to This Post
In my ongoing search to find an engine for my GT, I have found an 1990 3.1 V6 from a minivan. Does this engine have the same Hight Output heads as on our 2.8 V6? I was going to go the 3.4 route but I talked to Ed Parks and it doesn't seem to be as simple as just tapping a new starter hole; there are a lot of other bits and mods a guy has to do as well to get it to work. I just wanted to check to make sure that this is the right engine. I heard that there is one version of the 3.1 that uses low compression pistons and makes no power at all. What is the HP and torque difference between the 3.1 and 2.8? Once again, thanks for all of your help.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2000 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
As I recall, all the FWD motors, car or minivan, should fit. The only ones you have to mess with the starter on are the inline RWD motors. You didn't say which van it is, but I thought all GM mini's where FWD.

I'm not sure what else GM would have done to the motor. Usually truck motors make more power. In V8's they often have 4 bolt mains, but I don't think GM did that with the V6 for truck.

dogtired

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2000 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dogtiredSend a Private Message to dogtiredDirect Link to This Post
I could be wrong here?? But think I read where the heads on the 3.1 are not the same as the Fiero 2.8??? That if you went with the 3.1 you would want to use the 2.8 heads?
Also the difference in displacement between a 2.8 and a 3.1 is not worth the work & $$$??? Depending on what you can get the 3.1 for??
Just My thoughts???
Carrolles

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2000 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CarrollesSend a Private Message to CarrollesDirect Link to This Post
Don't forget that even though the 3.1 only has 0.3L more displacement, it has a longer stroke, hence more low end torque.
Displacement isn't the only factor in power.
WKDFIRO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2000 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WKDFIROSend a Private Message to WKDFIRODirect Link to This Post
In the days that the Fiero was being produced there were no dedicated FWD engines. They were all derived from RWD turn sideways. Such is true for the 2.8 which was used in a wide variety of both FWD and RWD applications as well as the 2.5. The 3.1 block is part of the new generation of dedicated FWD blocks. They take even more tinkering with than the 3.4 iron headed block. The current 3.1 and 3.4 engines are very different from the same displacement engines of the mid 80s and mid 90s. The 3.4 of choice for Fieros is the 3.4 iron head V6 that was used for the 92- 95 f-bodies and chevy S-10.

The money difference from a 2.8 to a 3.1 to a 3.4 is that for the same money it would be easier to go straight to the 3.4 rather than a 3.1. Kinda like putting a 5.0 liter v8 intstead of 5.7. Same money for less.

The 3.4 has a lot of very satisfied owners on the streets right now. Aside from the starter relocation an the AC bracket, what other bits are you talking about?

loafer87gt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2000 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for loafer87gtSend a Private Message to loafer87gtDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info. The 1990 3.1 has the cast heads, not the aluminum ones so I thought it should drop right in. For the 3.4 conversion, I was told I would get new injectors and a new fuel pressure regulator. The add up to about an extra $500 Canadian. Also, it would take the shop 5 hours to tap the new starter. If I was all done school, I would certainly go this route. But unfortunately, the funds are pretty low right now while at university. I am just looking for something affordable with a bit more jam than my old 2.8 engine.
WKDFIRO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2000 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WKDFIROSend a Private Message to WKDFIRODirect Link to This Post
FIVE HOURS TO TAP THE STARTER HOLES!!!!

ARE THEY MEDITATING BEFORE LUNCH BEFORE THEY START???

Okay, okay, perhaps they would'nt have the tool to do the job correctly but that seems to be a hell of a long time....

The injectors for the 3.4 are needed but we still have not seen any reason for an adjustable regulator. If you are getting a crate engine there is no other choice but to anty up. The other alternative is to get a low miler 3.4 out of the salvage yard.

Oh, one more option(Shameless Plug: I work there occasionally) is to get a prepared 3.4 long block from Fiero Motorsports (I think Ed Parks does that too, not sure.) We have shipped several of them out. Give a call for prices and shipping. 714 639-9005 after 11 AM.

[This message has been edited by WKDFIRO (edited 01-25-2000).]

batboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2000 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
Loafer, that 3.1 minivan engine with cast iron heads should be a direct swap. The heads will probably be the standard ones with smaller valves, not the HO heads like the Fieros. I think the cam might be milder too.

Ogre, wasn't the Chevy Astro minivan a rear wheel drive?

Carrolles

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2000 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CarrollesSend a Private Message to CarrollesDirect Link to This Post
On the question of larger injectors and adjustable fuel pressure regulator I think you need one or the other, not both. The larger injectors will get proper fuel flow at the standard fuel pressure. The original injectors need a higher fuel pressure to pass the higher volume of fuel. With the adjustable fuel pressure regulator you can raise the pressure accordingly.
87 Steve GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2000 02:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87 Steve GTSend a Private Message to 87 Steve GTDirect Link to This Post
I just found a 3.4 form a 95 s-10 w/ 6000 miles on it for $300, from a boneyard. so , do i need to use my 2.8 heads for more power or the 3.4 heads that are on it???
87 Steve GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2000 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87 Steve GTSend a Private Message to 87 Steve GTDirect Link to This Post

87 Steve GT

69 posts
Member since Jan 2000
Hmmmm...
PFF
System Bot
mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2000 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post
From what I've read, you'll want to use your heads.a Actually, the only thing you'll use from the 3.4 the short block, oil pan optional) and injectors. Everything else is from the 2.8. One of the real attractions to this conversion is that it looks just like the original motor configuration when completed. Makes a reather "stealthy" set-up! Ed Parks offers all the details you'll need if you visit his site.
WKDFIRO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2000 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WKDFIROSend a Private Message to WKDFIRODirect Link to This Post
I would be very interested to see if that 3.1 conversion works out. Unless GM was playing with other heads as well the 3.4 and the Fiero 2.8 should be identical.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2000 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
87 Steve... If the S-10 has a 3.4, it's not factory. The only V-6s that ever came in an S-10 were the 2.8, and the 4.3. The 4.3 is a 90 degree V-6. Essentially 3/4 of a 350. Won't bolt into a Fiero without a lot of "massaging".
squid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2000 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for squidSend a Private Message to squidDirect Link to This Post
All you need to make a 2.8 a 3.1 is a 3.1 crank (I used one for a '89 Pontiac 6000 for @$120),3.1 pistons for a iron head 3.1(I used stock '92 firebird ones for @$15 each), and a a flywheel without any counter weight (I.E. any 3.1. I got mine from the junkyard for @$25). There isnt a big compression difference(if any) between cast iron and aluminum head engines but there is a huge difference in combustion chamber volume so you've got to use the right pistons unless you want 14:1 or 4:1 compression.
terryk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2000 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for terrykSend a Private Message to terrykDirect Link to This Post
Think of the boost pressure we could run at 4:1 compression!. Do I hear 50 PSI?

Ok, I'm kidding, no flames please.

batboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2000 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
I just heard that Pontiac made a few 89-90 Grand Prix 3.1 turbo cars. Was this an ultra rare option or are there a few of those engines floating around out in salvage land?
DaRkLoRD

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2000 03:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DaRkLoRDSend a Private Message to DaRkLoRDDirect Link to This Post
Squid.. have you done this conversion?
It sounds a lot cheaper than what I've heard in the past... I'd like to hear more about this!
batboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2000 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
It's the same 2.8 to 3.1 conversion that's been discussed many times, just Squid poked around the salvage yard and got some bargain parts to begin with. This is a great way to reduce the overall cost of the project. Used internal engine parts (like the crank) should be checked out thoroughly and magnafluxed by a machine shop.
pherder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2000 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pherderSend a Private Message to pherderDirect Link to This Post
I got a 3.1 out of a 93 Chevy Lumina APV and it is the cast iron head version of the 3.1

The valves are the same size as the Fiero's and the heads "look" exactly the same.

I don't know about the cam being "weaker" (i.e. less HP output) so to insure more power "grunt", I will exchange it for something a little more bumpier.

There is one thing that Ed Parks warned me about on these 3.1 engines. They DO NOT USE ALL THE BOLT HOLES in the timing chain/water pump housing!!! One needs to be either welded up or siliconed up to keep coolant from leaking!! Which one ... I don't know, yet. Went I get to it, I will take a picture of it and post it in my Photopoint collection.

Paul

[This message has been edited by pherder (edited 01-29-2000).]

Standard

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2000 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StandardClick Here to visit Standard's HomePageSend a Private Message to StandardDirect Link to This Post
Batboy -- The Turbo conversion was done by Mclaren/ASC, starting in 1989. It consisted of the turbo V-6,special 4-speed auto trans, special suspension and wheels with 245/50R16 Goodyear Gatorbacks,and extensive aero body cladding. All of them were red and it was produced in very limited numbers. It was the same in 1990, and dropped in 1991 to be replaced with the GTP. I've heard only around 2000 were produced. got the info from Classical Pontiac

[This message has been edited by Standard (edited 01-29-2000).]

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock