Started on: 01-18-2000 01:26 PM
Replies: 15
Last post by: 87PegasusGT on 01-21-2000 03:25 PM
loafer87gt

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2000 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for loafer87gtSend a Private Message to loafer87gtDirect Link to This Post
I was just borwings over to www.lear2000.com and saw the add for their new kit car. Its powered by a Supercharged 3.1 V6 that puts out over 340 HP!! Can you imagine the torque this monster would put out?! I wonder what kinda of supercharger unit they are using, a rotrex, vortex, or paxton? I also have to wonder how my stress this puts on the old v6. Anyways, just thought I'd pass it on to you guys to check out. later.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
terryk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2000 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for terrykSend a Private Message to terrykDirect Link to This Post
Try 440HP.

That's asking alot.

The site says it's a twin turbo. It's possible with low compression, intercooler, lots of boost and wind it up.

It is available or just a fishing expedition?

[This message has been edited by terryk (edited 01-18-2000).]

Spyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2000 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpyderSend a Private Message to SpyderDirect Link to This Post

I could not find where it said the horse power on that site but that might be Canadian Horse Power, I believe the exchange rate would equal about 250 horse power in the U.S.
Just kidding.
Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2000 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilDirect Link to This Post
I think I would rather spend my starting at $55K on something a little more reliable and more proven 'Vette maybe IF I WERE GOING TO START AT $55K
Eric

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2000 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EricSend a Private Message to EricDirect Link to This Post
I think you can buy a Lingenfelter C5 Vette for around $55,000 just to put things into perspective.
Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2000 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilDirect Link to This Post
Just another thought. I'm building a Countach clone now and I can tell you I don't think anyone would want to take one on a long trip. The visibility front,rear and to the sides stinks, NO headroom and it takes talent to get in and out. Sure looks good though. $55K garage ornament no no no(not mine the Diablo)
mshill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2000 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mshillSend a Private Message to mshillDirect Link to This Post
I like the style, but... for $55K you can get a V8 Diablo Roadster turnkey. Since I am looking for a kit, I sent them email asking if it was available in kit form. The answer was "No". I wish it was because it is also on a non-stretched Fiero frame.
terryk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2000 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for terrykSend a Private Message to terrykDirect Link to This Post
When I clicked on something it said "440HP" twin rubber bands with "double knots".

[This message has been edited by terryk (edited 01-18-2000).]

loafer87gt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2000 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for loafer87gtSend a Private Message to loafer87gtDirect Link to This Post
Under the Specs section it say 3.1 SuperC. v6 with 340 HP. Hmmm, must be two different engine options.
terryk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2000 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for terrykSend a Private Message to terrykDirect Link to This Post
Go to the site, click on FLASH INTRO and suffer through the graphics. Right after it says something about "DNA", the next graphic is "440HP TWIN TURBO".

It's says 340HP elsewhere.

Much nicer cars for the same price IMHO.

87PegasusGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2000 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87PegasusGTSend a Private Message to 87PegasusGTDirect Link to This Post
Hey GUYS;
FYI, I contacted them and they are using two turbos from a 2.2 Chrysler LeBaron in a 3.1.
I also requested info on the supercharger.
Those HP readings are at the crank. I am going to look into doing that same thing on my 3.4. Anyone have any experience with those LeBaron turbos?
PFF
System Bot
mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2000 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post
The turbos in the Penta-cars are by Garrett. I noticed several in my local U-Pull-It yard and talked to my local turbo installer (Majestic Turbo)about them. He said they were good units and that they were the T-3s which are the right size to use on the 2.8.

The problem was they used an unusual mounting flange pattern. Not a problem unless you wanted to change the RPM characteristics of the turbo for more top or bottm end torque. He recommended looking for units from the M-Benz cars as they have a universal flange.

Roy L.

WKDFIRO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2000 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WKDFIROSend a Private Message to WKDFIRODirect Link to This Post
I am hesitant to say that it is impossible to have more than 300 hp in a 2.8 block but I would have to say I am EXTREMELY skeptical of such a claim. There would be others that know more about these cars than I do that would say such a number is preposterous and a pipe dream. The block is largely unprotected by such power. I would love to see not only if it reaches this number but how long the block holds out.
william_thorniii

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2000 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for william_thorniiiSend a Private Message to william_thorniiiDirect Link to This Post
MrFixit,

Aren't the chrysler turbos Garett T-2.5's? Perhaps you are correct, but I had always thought that they were 2.5's. The McLaren 89-90 Turbo Grand Prix used a T-3 on it's 3.1L... so the T-3 is the correct size. The numbers on that car were 205 bhp at the fly with only 4-5# boost.

William T. Thorn, III

peterh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2000 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for peterhSend a Private Message to peterhDirect Link to This Post
Pontiac has a special version of their GrandAm called that has a supercharged 3.4 that puts out 262HP. The article didn't say much else about the engine but the unblown engine makes 172hp. I wonder if this would fit in a fiero. The blower is at the rear of the engine and is driven by a long shaft from the front of the engine. That way you can still have airconditioning. Just interesting what you can get out of a relatively small streetable engine. For a look at ultimate power output a twin turbo Firebird with a 350 cu makes 1400HP and went 300mph for a class speed record.
87PegasusGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2000 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87PegasusGTSend a Private Message to 87PegasusGTDirect Link to This Post
I can get a T-3? turbo from a 81-87 300zx turbo for $400. Should I buy it? Can I use it on my 3.4? How does one go about a twin turbo?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock