Started on: 01-01-2000 07:29 PM
Replies: 10
Last post by: terryk on 01-06-2000 01:07 PM
Cooter

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2000 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterDirect Link to This Post
I found a company that sells a complete rebuild kit for the 3.1 that for only $150 more includes the crank. Do I need to order the kit for a 90-91 Camaro or the mini-van?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Steven

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2000 04:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for StevenClick Here to visit Steven's HomePageSend a Private Message to StevenDirect Link to This Post
From everything that I have read, the crank form the 90-91 F-Cars (Camero/Firebird) is the crank of choice.
batboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2000 07:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
Seems like the early 1990's minivans had very low compression pistons. The Camaro setup will probably keep the C/R similar to the Fiero's.
Cooter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2000 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterDirect Link to This Post
I saw where GM has a roller cam for the 3.4 v6. Other than the expense, would this be something to consider for this rebuild or just stick to something like the Compucam 2020?

Here is the page I found the roller cam info on: http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/gpxss/performance/valve.html

[This message has been edited by Cooter (edited 01-02-2000).]

batboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2000 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
Cooter, I looked at that link, that roller cam is for OEM applications. I believe you have to use it in a block designed for the roller cam. I think you need a retro-fit kit (rather than the OEM) for the older non-roller blocks. It's something about the roller lifter followers. To be honest, I'm not sure there is a retro-fit hydraulic roller cam kit for the 60 degree V6 engines.
Eric

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2000 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EricSend a Private Message to EricDirect Link to This Post
I remember seeing something on that roller cam too. There were modifications involved to install it, so I asked my machinist if I should consider it instead of the hydraulic cam. He said "Sure, but it's gonna cost ya".
He then showed me on of the big blocks he was working on. I don't know much about roller valvetrains, but when I looked at that block with that freshly machined shiny iron surface, I could almost make out the reflection of crisp new $100 bills. Needless to say, not for me.

I went for the standard hipo cam instead. I think it's the best choice out there as far as high rpm power gain without losing torque down low.

pherder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2000 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pherderSend a Private Message to pherderDirect Link to This Post
Batboy, others,

I have a 93 Chevy Lumina APV 3.1 engine to be put in a Fiero to be named later. (I have three complete 88 engine cradles with suspension, brakes, etc., a 2.3 HO Quad 4, 350 TPI V8, and the original 2.8 V6 w/rod knock and 2 Fieros!)

I compared the heads and pistons with my 2.8 and they "appear" to be exactly the same in the compression area. (i.e. dish on piston looks the same and the head bowls are the same to the naked eye (well, not entirely naked ... I have to wear glasses to see ;^)

I was told by Ed Parks that I probably have the last year model of 3.1 that was put in the APVs so normal disclaimers apply ...

batboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2000 07:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
On MOST of those all cast iron minivan engines, the heads used smaller valves. If that engine has the larger valve HO heads, that would be cool. The cam is usually different too, it was not designed for high performance, but rather taking kids to practice and going to the shopping mall, etc.
pherder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2000 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pherderSend a Private Message to pherderDirect Link to This Post
The valves in this 3.1 are the exact same size as the Fiero's. (1.72/1.42 or whatever is the Fiero's size exactly)

The cam ... well ... I have no idea what it's specs are so OUT IT GOES to be replaced with one I DO know the specs for.

i.e. Compucam, GM Performance or similar ...

Cooter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2000 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterDirect Link to This Post
I talked with the machine shop owner today about working on my 3.1
He picked up the phone and called his supplier to see what kind of price he could get the parts for- looks like he will be able to save me a few bucks on the rebuild kit and he is a Crane cams dealer and can get them cheaper than from other sources. It really paid to talk to him before ordering a kit from somewhere else.
terryk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2000 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for terrykSend a Private Message to terrykDirect Link to This Post
Didn't the smaller valves end with the LE2 carb'd engine and it's variants? I've never seen the smaller valves in any injected 660 engine. Does someone have first hand knowledge of the smaller valves in an injected 660? TBI or MPFI.

TK

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock