Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  88 wheel bearings...life span & testing?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

88 wheel bearings...life span & testing? by Tom88gt
Started on: 12-28-1999 01:58 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: Carrolles on 12-29-1999 11:29 AM
Tom88gt

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-1999 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom88gtSend a Private Message to Tom88gtDirect Link to This Post
My Formula has steering wheel vibration that starts at about 50 and increases with speed.

110K, Wheels are true, tires (3K) have no bumps/knots, rotors appear true, ball joints appear ok.

I think the front wheel bearings might be shot. Since they are not adjustable, what is their normal life span? How do you check them? I jacked the car, grabbed the tires and they have a little/some top-to-bottom play. Not too familiar with sealed front bearings so I don't know if a little play is normal.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
wwh0001

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-1999 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wwh0001Send a Private Message to wwh0001Direct Link to This Post
I have an 88 Formula with 189,700 miles. Original motor & auto trans. Bearings are good no play in rim. I had the steerinng wheel vibration you mentioned. Replaced the contol arm bushings( completely worn out)
and had a 4 wheel alignment. Car steers and rides like it did when it was new.
batboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-1999 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
Lots of things can cause a front end shake. Tires are a common problem, try rotating the rear ones to the front and vice versa. It might be worth while to rebalance them, although with low mileage tires, maybe not. Often the top to bottom play is an indicator to bearing wear. Inner tie rods are another wear prone place on a Fiero. That's more obvious with side to side play. Other possible causes: steering rack, steering stabilizer, ball joints, sway bar ends and bushings, control arm bushings, or just plain out of alignment.
Ed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-1999 02:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EdClick Here to visit Ed's HomePageSend a Private Message to EdDirect Link to This Post
Add shocks to the list. When I got my 87 GT in 1990 it had a shake. A couple of alignment people said that it was the "Fiero shake." I lived with for a while until "DUH" I looked at the cupped tires, then the shocks. Stream of fluid down the side.

Did your old tires show any cupping?

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-1999 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Worn out 88 wheel bearings will make a humming sound. My rear ones were gone at about 120K miles. One in the front gone in the 130Ks. The other at the front is still good with 156K miles. The front one started with a little rattle but the humming sound was noticeable. If yours is not making any noise then I would check the inner tie rod or rack and pinnion bushing.
Tom88gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-1999 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom88gtSend a Private Message to Tom88gtDirect Link to This Post
I had Firestone do a vehicle inspection, $12.95 (I usually have them do a pre-purchase insp). It's better to have an impartial opinion.

They noticed the left lower ball joint had some play. I can see grease fitting move, VERY slightly when pulling/pushing on the tire. They thought nothing of the slight top/bottom play in the front tires/wheels/bearings, the play is equal on both sides. They noticed no wheel weights on the outside (probably for cosmetics) and checked the balance. All tires needed some outside weight. MUCH smoother now but now a noticable pulsation when applying brakes but not steering wheel shake.

Also, the right inner CV joint has a lot of play but they couldn't here any clunking. I've never checked this on other V-6s so I don't know if the play is normal. The area is also very oily. Not sure where the oil/grease is coming from but the trans checks full when warm and down a little when cold. The other 3 CV boots are dry/clean. Going to degrease the area and watch it for leaks.

Carrolles

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-1999 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarrollesSend a Private Message to CarrollesDirect Link to This Post
Your new pulsating is probably due to uneven/over tightened wheel lugs. Sears is notorious for this.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock