Started on: 12-12-1999 04:48 PM
Replies: 10
Last post by: peterh on 12-15-1999 03:30 PM
Cooter

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-1999 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterDirect Link to This Post
I had found a 60,000 mile 3.4 from a camaro, but now the whole car is gone. The same junk yard has several GM mini-vans in it. Which year model had the right 3.1 v6 in it? I assume that this swap would not be as involved as the 3.4 anyway, so maybe this is the best way to go.
What else would I need for this swap?

Thanks

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Cooter

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-1999 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterDirect Link to This Post
I give up! I went back to the junk yard where they had a 60,000 mile 3.4 v6 for $500 and asked about a 3.1 from the mini-van. The cheapest one had 169,000 miles on it and they wanted $1,100 dollars for it! That is too much for such a plentiful motor. I will just have to keep looking. . .
fastonpumpgas

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-1999 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fastonpumpgasSend a Private Message to fastonpumpgasDirect Link to This Post
i bet you could do the 3.2 converson for 600 bucks
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-1999 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
fastonpumpgas--This was in another thread a few weeks ago. batboy (I think) said that it would cost maybe twice that to do the 3.2 conversion to the 2.8 and be fairly difficult. I'll try to find the thread and post it here.
Eric

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-1999 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EricSend a Private Message to EricDirect Link to This Post
You can do a 3.1 rebuild for less than $1000. It wouldn't be the best 3.1 around, but you could do it. Most of the cost in my 3.1 was from the machine shop. I think you could get away with just doing a basic rebuild with a reconditioned 3.1 crank for not a lot of money.
batboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-1999 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
Yes, I was referring to a complete rebuild done "right" what ever that means. Obviously there are many shortcuts. Some might actually work. If you want a real performance engine, then you better just prepare yourself for spending some money.
Eric

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-1999 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EricSend a Private Message to EricDirect Link to This Post
I may be jumping the gun a little, but I havn't felt a huge increase in power from my 3.1 yet. In my opinion, it was built "right". Keep in mind I haven't installed a adjustable fuel pressure reg. (I just ordered one today from the Fierostore. The Accel unit I ordered from Summit has been on backorder two months, so I cancelled it). I do, however, have mods including a new cam, ported intake and exhaust manifolds, extensive headwork, and the new balanced 3.1 bottom end. What gives? I think a "noticable" increase in power can be expected for all the money I spent. Maybe it doesn't have enough miles. Maybe the engine needs more fuel now. Atleast I'm comforted in knowing I have a very expensive powerplant in my Fiero.
HotFieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-1999 01:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HotFieroGTSend a Private Message to HotFieroGTDirect Link to This Post
Eric, have been following your 3.1 rebuild progress because I am in the process of rebuilding one of my V-6's. Porting the heads and a hotter camshaft may have actually decreased your low end torque but the 3.1 crank may have you back about where a normal 2.8 is. My guess is you have more HP but are about the same in the torque dept. I bet you do have more power at higher RPM's though and the adjustable fuel pressure regulator may also help you even more at these higher rpms. I don't think I am going to stroke my engine because it will double the price of my rebuild and I can't justify the money for the small amount of power increase. I am curious to hear how the fuel pressure regulator works for you.
HotFieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-1999 01:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HotFieroGTSend a Private Message to HotFieroGTDirect Link to This Post

HotFieroGT

121 posts
Member since Oct 1999
Just want to add a few more things to this column. Don't go with the 3.1 from the minivan. It does not have the big valves like the fiero engine, I remember reading a thread in the forum in the past about someone who did it and they were disappointed. From all the research and reading I have been doing I believe the 3.4 liter engine from the Camaro is the best bang for your buck, you will get both a torque and hp increase.
Eric

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-1999 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EricSend a Private Message to EricDirect Link to This Post
The torque is good. I know there's more now than there ever was. The problem is with all the things I did to increase horsepower and not getting much out of it. If I'm still not satisfied in a few months, I'll throw a turbo on it.
peterh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-1999 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for peterhSend a Private Message to peterhDirect Link to This Post
I have some experience with putting too hot a cam in my old Volvo 140 series (long since sold). I put a 3/4 race cam in because I was tired of the pathetic normal camshaft. What a mistake. I had no power below 2500rpm and it was terrible off the line. However above 4500rpm it was an animal, at least for a 2liter dual carb engine. I could shift at 6000rpm and it would really move. It also went thru spark plugs, every 500miles. I should have gone with a stock cam. I have been following the v6 rebuilding threads because have plans for an engine rebuild in the future. Good luck.
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock