Just got done with the 3.1 but... by BOSTITCH
Started on: 11-27-1999 08:36 PM
Replies: 14
Last post by: GT Bastard on 12-02-1999 02:00 PM
BOSTITCH

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-1999 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BOSTITCHSend a Private Message to BOSTITCHDirect Link to This Post
I would like to know if anyone has put one together has any advice because its kind of a dog (Iam quite pissed off actually) it doesnt have the power that it should it feels more like a ran down 2.8 I was told by some that the computer needs to recalibrate itself which suposedly could take 1000 or more miles. any feedback is appreciated.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Terrybogin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-1999 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TerryboginSend a Private Message to TerryboginDirect Link to This Post
From what I have learned about GM computers, they do very little learning and a lot of "compensating"- deviations from the prom info to compensate for incoming data. I would try to adjust the timing and see if the performance changes-for now, disregard the timing mark and move the timing up a little at a time.
batboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-1999 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
I'm hoping that people with a new engine adhere to a break-in routine. It does sometimes takes a few easy miles to seat the rings. Checking the timing was suggested and is a common problem with new engines. Rocker arms being poorly adjusted is another commonly overlooked problem. What kind of head work was done? The valves and seat were ground at least, right?
four50four

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-1999 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for four50fourClick Here to visit four50four's HomePageSend a Private Message to four50fourDirect Link to This Post
im not sure, but a while back, a member did a 3.1 and said it kept gaining horsepower up until 500 miles i think. he said it felt like 5 hp every 50-100 miles. once again not sure of any of this, but i do beleive the thread invovled him killing a mustang, then we got this angry mustang flamer....
superXmotorsports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-1999 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for superXmotorsportsClick Here to visit superXmotorsports's HomePageSend a Private Message to superXmotorsportsDirect Link to This Post
put a chip in to help the process along...
superXmotorsports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-1999 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for superXmotorsportsClick Here to visit superXmotorsports's HomePageSend a Private Message to superXmotorsportsDirect Link to This Post

superXmotorsports

392 posts
Member since Sep 1999
2 things to check also would be your fuel pressure and the timing...
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-1999 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Any fresh rebuild need time to work in. You should also change the oil after the first 500-1000 miles.

At the very least I put in magnetic oil plugs in rebuilds, heads, etc. Better yet I put a large magnet from and old computer disk drive in the oil pan. The big ones from old 5.25 floppy drive will catch junk for years. The small "rare earth" jobs from hard drives are good too. Just leave them in there till the next time the pan comes off. They will collect huge ammounts of trash before they get "worn out". even them they will never release any of it back into the motor.

BOSTITCH

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-1999 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BOSTITCHSend a Private Message to BOSTITCHDirect Link to This Post
The heads were not milled but they were ported along with a valve job GM performance springs (fierostore) new vavle guides and 1.6 ratio roller tips, crane cams. The timing is right at 10 degrees with diagnostic ground and the rockers are relieved of lash.
terryk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-1999 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for terrykSend a Private Message to terrykDirect Link to This Post
The ECM should learn each of the block cells within about 20 miles assuming you've gone through each of the conditions (MAP vs RPM).
You need to let it idle, use soft, moderate and high throttle, low and medium RPM's so it can learn the closed loop setting. WOT don't matter since it isn't closed loop.

Yeah, I'd give it until 5000 miles before I decided that something was wrong with the power. Depending on the rings you used (moly are a long wait), it will take some hours to seal them up.

Carrolles

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-1999 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CarrollesSend a Private Message to CarrollesDirect Link to This Post
Did you put in a new fuel pressure regulator? Usually a 3.1 upgrade requires more fuel. You can get this by installing larger injectors (like the ones in a small block Chevy) or you can put an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and jack up the pressure a little. Ed Parks (Fiero Factory ((256) 420-5391))could tell you the pressure to look for. Otherwise the engine will starve for fuel and run like a work out 2.8.

Good luck,
Carroll

Standard

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-1999 04:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for StandardClick Here to visit Standard's HomePageSend a Private Message to StandardDirect Link to This Post
Ogre,

Are you talking about the read/write head magnet off a hard drive? Do you just drop it in the pan or do you glue it down with something? My dad has tons of crashed or otherwise not working hard drives laying around...

thanks

I noticed the topic review is on the same page now! very cool!

[This message has been edited by Standard (edited 12-01-1999).]

PFF
System Bot
HF6582

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-1999 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HF6582Send a Private Message to HF6582Direct Link to This Post
epoxy the magnet in the oil pan.
another good thing to do is to epoxy small
magnets in the heads and lifter valley to
keep valve train trash out of the oil pan.
terryk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-1999 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for terrykSend a Private Message to terrykDirect Link to This Post
Don't jump up and increase the fuel pressure. Find someone with a scanner and check the O2 voltage. If it is over .800V to .850V at wide open throttle, adding more fuel will only slow the engine down.

An increase from 2.8L to 3.1L is not that cosmic.

I'll bet it's at least .800V.

The fuel pressure (which can be checked with an A/C gauge set.) Should be at least 39PSI with 45 PSI being optimal for the stock injectors.

Some engines do need more fuel, but rarely is this the case for just a 3.1L displacement change. GM runs too much fuel as it is to cool the cylinders down.

Eric

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-1999 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EricSend a Private Message to EricDirect Link to This Post
I'm leaving the fuel pressure reg. out for now because I want to see if I really need it (Summit hasn't sent it yet either). If there is a need for more fuel won't the computer automatically richen the mixture? I want all the power I can get, but I'm not sold on pumping a bunch of extra gas into the engine.
GT Bastard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-1999 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT BastardClick Here to visit GT Bastard's HomePageSend a Private Message to GT BastardDirect Link to This Post
Are you sure it was timed properly? I mean, did you use piece of wire or something to jumper the terminals on the ASDL??

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock