Rust buster wanted. by lews84
Started on: 11-27-1999 05:51 PM
Replies: 12
Last post by: dogtired on 11-30-1999 02:45 PM
lews84

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-1999 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lews84Send a Private Message to lews84Direct Link to This Post
In an earlier post I asked about freeing the rusted front brake line on my 84 SE. Suggestions included flare wrenches (theogre), using a hammer on the female connector (Fiero56) and line wrenches(?) and vice grips (Batboy).

Well, I've tried the flare wrenches and using a hammer on both the female connector and the wrench on the male. I also put the female connector back in the bracket and inserted the U clip so it wouldn't turn. All I've accomplished is to round the male nut using the flare wrench.

I haven't tried the vice grips yet.

Can anyone suggest a better rust buster than WD-40 before I really screw things up?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mutfish

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-1999 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mutfishSend a Private Message to mutfishDirect Link to This Post
By far the best rust penetrant I have used is GOODWRENCH HEAT VALVE LUBRICANT part # 1052627, should be avalible at any GM parts dept. You might also try a little heat on the fitting.
RZURCTN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-1999 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RZURCTNSend a Private Message to RZURCTNDirect Link to This Post
I don't know about the whole heat on a line fitting thing, it would be way to easy to start a fire. If you've already rounded off the one side, you might as well go for the vise-grips. Be advised, that may not work either. It didn't for me. I ended up breaking the line and having to reflare the end of it. Good luck though!
William Federle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-1999 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for William FederleSend a Private Message to William FederleDirect Link to This Post
I've had pretty good luck with Gunk Liquid
wrench. I let a broken-off spark plug thread
soak in it overnight and got it out with
an easy out and a 24" cresent, and I got
an O2 sensor out of my exhaust manifold
after soaking it with this for about 15
minutes. I don't know how much credit is
due to the liquid wrench, but if you're
trying some sort of liquid penetrant, you
might consider giving it a try.

good luck.

TOM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-1999 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TOMSend a Private Message to TOMDirect Link to This Post
I use Mouse Milk and a little heat. Or sometimes a little heat the a quick cooling the fracture the corrosion.
TOM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-1999 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TOMSend a Private Message to TOMDirect Link to This Post

TOM

1206 posts
Member since May 99
I use Mouse Milk and a little heat. Or sometimes a little heat then a quick cooling to fracture the corrosion.
TOM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-1999 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TOMSend a Private Message to TOMDirect Link to This Post

TOM

1206 posts
Member since May 99
I use Mouse Milk and a little heat. Or sometimes a little heat then a quick cooling to fracture the corrosion.
batboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-1999 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
I'm the one who said "line wrenches" which I guess are the same as "flare wrenches." I'm also telling you, I've been there and done that. Get a large pair of vice grips and clamp them down as tight as you can. Soak the rust good with whatever you got. I like Liquid Wrench Penetrating Oil. Once the hose nut breaks loose and your knuckle quits bleeding, put a new brake hose on. Oh no, you still have to do the other side too. I hate banging the same knuckle twice, ouch! Good luck.
lews84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-1999 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lews84Send a Private Message to lews84Direct Link to This Post
Thanks all!

Tom you're repeating yourself or do you just want to make your point :-) Is Mouse Milk a trade name. I've never heard of it (not much of a suprise).

Batboy, looks like vice grips are next and liquid wrench.

P.S. I learned about the bleeding knuckle bit a long time ago, that's why I almost always were leather gloves in these situations. Of course, when I forget to wear them is when I usually bash a knuckle. Sigh.

If I do try heat, how do you heat the joint?
Then 'cool' it with water?

2FAST4U

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-1999 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2FAST4USend a Private Message to 2FAST4UDirect Link to This Post
Here is a quick and inexpensive way to loosen all corroded, rusted, or otherwise stuck threaded parts.

First heat the nuts, bolts, or fittings as hot as possible without damaging them. Then melt a few drops of candle wax onto the threads. Allow the part to cool completely then loosen or take apart as normal. The wax will wick into the threads while hot and when cool will act as a thread lubricant. I've used this trick for years and it aleays works. It works especially well on exauste manifold bolts.

batboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-1999 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
I use the heat trick for lots of stubborn nuts and bolts, especially on the exhaust manifolds or chassis parts, BUT I don't like using heat on or around brake lines or fuel lines, etc.
PFF
System Bot
lennyb4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-1999 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lennyb4Send a Private Message to lennyb4Direct Link to This Post
The best thing i have found yet is Slick 50 Penitrating Oil.Should be available in any parts store.Ive used it on everything from gastank straps to exast work. Spray it on & let it sit about 5 min. It works 100X better then anything else i've ever used (liquid wrench,gunk,ect.)
dogtired

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-1999 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dogtiredSend a Private Message to dogtiredDirect Link to This Post
Candle Wax. Thats a great one, will have to give it a try, would liked to have known that one Saturday when I twisted the bolt off my exhaust.
2FAST4U where were you when we were doing the thread "Sawdust, grits, moth balls, eggs, ketchup" I felt for a while that I was the only one that could come up with these TIPs. If we could get all these tips together in one place we could probably produce a book!
HELPFUL HOUEHOLD TIPS & TRICKS TO USE ON YOUR FIERO
Is this list great or what?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock