Replies: 12
Last post by: Patrick on 10-24-1999 11:12 PM
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-1999 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post
Ok, I have converted Greg Piet's schematic into a PCB. You can find it in PDF (you need Adobe Acrobat) format here: https://www.fiero.nl/uploads/flasher.pdf .

Please be aware that I have not tested the design for the following reason:

1) I do not have a fiero with the proper turn-signals,
2) I didn't have the time to actually build it (designing the PCB already took up a bit too much time...).

Perhaps Greg Piet or anyone else with knowledge about electronics can test it.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Greg Piet

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-1999 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg PietClick Here to visit Greg Piet's HomePageSend a Private Message to Greg PietDirect Link to This Post
That schematic I put up is the same design i built my prototype. When I get a chance (hloding one breath would be bad) I will build one from the overlay. The prototype works fine (the day I posted the schematic I had a failure though (loose wire), and when I get my hands on a digital camera Ill make some pics of the prototype and where it is located.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-1999 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post
I'm convinced your design works fine, what I meant was I haven't tested the PCB yet I created from it.
Greg Piet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-1999 02:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg PietClick Here to visit Greg Piet's HomePageSend a Private Message to Greg PietDirect Link to This Post

I wanted to stress that the schematic is the same as the proto design.
BTW I went to make a board up and i noticed that the PCB design uses a dual sided board.
I have had little luck with this (I just have a amateurish single light setup in a box), and when using the transparency I found the best luck when resting the printed side of the trans on the board, the board lines are thicker( I think one of the printouts have to be mirrored for this). I was also concerned about the 12V line of the board going to the SCR's. Since those SCR's power the lights, and they take up about 2 amps each, can that board "wire" handle it?

I know this is ramblings, but im having fun typing about it!

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-1999 04:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post
Actually, it's a single-side design. The only reason there is a mirrored version is because of the reason you stated. Some like to rest the printed side of the transparancy to the board, others don't. So you only need to use one of the two (in your case the mirrored version).

About the trace being able to handle 4 Amps: I'm not sure, so just to be on the safe side you probably should "tin" the trace (I'm not sure what's it's called in English but I mean that you should make the trace thicker).

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-1999 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
For those of you that don't understand what we're talking about.

If you use a laser printer with transparancy in it you get a good cheap sharp mask that you can reuse.

You then lay the mask on a board covered in "photo resist."

expose the photo resist to a light and where the light hits thru the mask will be chemically changed. So where the light hits with this mask, the resist will wash off. thats where the etchant will remove copper.

the whole thing takes 15-20 minutes. longer if your etchant is cold.

It sounds hard, but it's not really.

SloPonti

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-1999 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SloPontiSend a Private Message to SloPontiDirect Link to This Post
i looked at the diagrams and read all the stuff you wrote about these but i lost here! can someone explain how to make these lamps work or will someone build these and sell them for a reasonable price!
thanks
Rob
Dave85

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-1999 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave85Send a Private Message to Dave85Direct Link to This Post
I've been lost since the beginning!
I think they are cool and would love to have this set-up. Maybe someday!
GT Bastard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-1999 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT BastardClick Here to visit GT Bastard's HomePageSend a Private Message to GT BastardDirect Link to This Post
Man, this topic has been going on forever... They're only turn signals!!
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-1999 02:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Look, you (GT) Bastard, let us have some fun... ok?
fastonpumpgas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-1999 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fastonpumpgasSend a Private Message to fastonpumpgasDirect Link to This Post
I appreciate what greg is doing, I could have never figured this out on my own .. thanks again
PFF
System Bot
Cooter

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-1999 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterDirect Link to This Post
I just can't help but wonder. . .
Did Patrick know what would happen with the simple question about sequential turn signals on an old Cougar. . .
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-1999 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

No Cooter, I had no idea.

I actually thought that if I was lucky, there might be one person out there who even knew what I was talking about. Let's face it, a lot of the fellas who participate in this forum weren't even a gleam in their father's eyes when the original Cougar was first introduced! I think it's great that so many people have expressed an interest, and of course, it's even better that someone like Greg has put the effort into designing and building a working prototype.

There we go... For the benefit of any newbies who don't know what the heck we're talking about.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock