3.1 upgrade by Greg Piet
Started on: 10-09-1999 08:03 PM
Replies: 29
Last post by: 88 Fiero on 10-13-1999 12:50 AM
Greg Piet

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-1999 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg PietClick Here to visit Greg Piet's HomePageSend a Private Message to Greg PietDirect Link to This Post
I just noticed a puff of smoke (might have been oil or fuel i didnt get a good look at the color)when starting my 2.8 v6.
I did a search on here about going to the 3.1 upgrade.
I found this:
"SCCA FIERO Member posted 07-06-99 04:50 PM

A 3.1 rebuild costs about $1,000-$1,200 about the same as a 2.8 rebuild kit. You just get around 30 more hp and it LOOKS stock!! SLEEPER. The kit is available from PISA http://www.cybercars.com/fierohq.html "

but the site is dead.
does anyone have another site where I can get the info?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gokart

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-1999 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post
I was told there is alot of costly work buy a machine shop involved to get the engine block to fit the 3.1 conversion!?
terryk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-1999 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for terrykSend a Private Message to terrykDirect Link to This Post
I'd like to see some dyno runs on this 30HP difference between a 2.8 and 3.1L. I still don't buy it.

All things being equal, I would think more like 10-15HP and maybe 10-15 ft-lbs of torque.

Not to be negative, but I'm skeptical, that's all.

I'll bet your smoke is valve seals (if it's not black smoke). If it clears up quickly, don't worry about it. A little leakdown is ok. If it puffs on shifts, then you might want to consider replacing the seals. A major overhaul is not needed just for that.

TK

batboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-1999 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
Terry is probably right about the power gains when stroking a 2.8 to a 3.1 (3.2 if bored out) if that was the only thing you did different. However, most people add a hotter cam, headers, and other mods at the same time which ought to bump the power up to 190 or 200 ponies.

No, the block doesn't need any other modifications or machine work over and above what is normally needed during a regular rebuild. If you are using the later 2.8 engine with the large crank journals, the 3.1 crank bolts right in. What you do need to do different is to use 3.1 pistons and the correct flywheel (a neutrally balanced one).

The following is a webpage URL from Ed Parks at the Fiero Factory. About halfway down is info about stroking the 2.8 engine, plus there is other good engine swapping info too.

http://members.yourlink.net/dragon/parks/e-conv.htm

terryk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-1999 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for terrykSend a Private Message to terrykDirect Link to This Post
No doubt a 3.1L with a nice cam and head work is a blast! I'd recommend it to anyone.

There are just a few charlatans out there. Look at what it took for GM to get 210HP out of the DOHC. Now people are claiming 280HP out of a DOHC with a few mods. Right.....

Do the 3.1L. You'll love it!

SCCA FIERO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-1999 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIERODirect Link to This Post
I was quoting from Kit Car magazine about the hp increase from the 3.1 rebuild. I have never done the rebuild and actually know nothing about it.

Taken from Kit Car July 98 ..."The standard issue 2.8L V-6 can be upgraded or swapped to bigger versions. GM later enlarged it to 3.1L and then 3.4L. PISA sells a kit to rebuild your 2.8 into a 3.1 for just under $1,000. PISA also sells a fully assembled 190hp version ($3,500 auto; $3,700 stick) that includes a hotter cam, special Lucas injectors, and all new or rebuilt parts.

IRM sells remanufactured 3.1L motors for $1,000 to $1,600, depending on the model. And ACE sells a 3.1L conversion kit for $1,300. The 3.4L transverse-mounted versions were intended for economy and aren't good power producers."

Taken from Kit Car April 97... "Fiero Phil is inclined to suggest that you keep the V-6 in place and increase it's displacement from 2.8 to 3.1. This is an economical consideration and leaves the engine appearance alone. And, while you would have a "stock" appearing Fiero engine, the larger displacement - along with a higher compression ratio and a medium camshaft - lets you approach 190hp. Hey, if you don't tell, no one will know!"

Food for thought...

mwbackus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-1999 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mwbackusSend a Private Message to mwbackusDirect Link to This Post
I think one should keep in mind that the 3.4L crate engine S-10 conversion package offered by GM Perfomance is "brand new" (not rebuilt), and costs less than $1700. The only drawback is that you need to ship it to Ed Parks (for the starter relocation, etc.) before you get it on your doorstep. GM advertises this package as a 40hp increase over a stock 2.8. It even comes with a pretty nice cam (.427" Int., .454" Exh. Lift/ 204° Int., 216° Exh Duration).

http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/ChevyV6s/207ciV6.html
http://www.paceparts.com/ht43.htm

Mike

terryk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-1999 02:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for terrykSend a Private Message to terrykDirect Link to This Post
Check out:
http://members.home.net/sprigint/x11p/x11p.html

...for some good details on the 3.4L conversion to transverse.

Isn't the 3.4L iron head rated 160HP/190FT-LBS torque?

Shiner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-1999 05:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ShinerSend a Private Message to ShinerDirect Link to This Post
I too was thinking of a V6 stroker for my '87 GT (in the future, the engine still runs strong) Bore it over, stroke it, so you get about 3.2 liters. Chuck in a hot cam, high quality forged pistons and con rods, high flow injectors, ported heads, headers, and all new ignition electronics for a hotter spark. I figure that would probly bump you up to like 180hp, right? Well, here is why you would use all forged and heavy duty stuff all around; add in a 90hp shot of nitro! You would pretty much end up with 270hp. Pretty mean. That should have no problem running mid 13's, considering a stock car with a 70 shot can run low 14's. I would have the drag racing power to give those stinking corvettes what for, and with the nitro off, and engine that is probably more reliable than the one you started with. Not bad. I might have to cook me up a 3.2 liter blue bottle special in the future...

Let me know what you guys think.

batboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-1999 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
Shiner, sounds like a good plan to me. I've only seen NOS 70 shot kits for the 2.8/3.1 engines though. Still, build up a strong 190 HP engine and then add another 70 HP with nitrous, this will still put you up in the 260 HP range. That's more ponies then my V8 Fiero is currently running.
mwbackus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-1999 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mwbackusSend a Private Message to mwbackusDirect Link to This Post
Terry: Yes, in its intended application on the S-10, but with the Fiero intake/exhaust that number would be considerably higher. The S-10 2.8 was rated at only 120HP vs. the Fiero's 135-140.

[This message has been edited by mwbackus (edited 10-10-1999).]

PFF
System Bot
fastonpumpgas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-1999 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fastonpumpgasSend a Private Message to fastonpumpgasDirect Link to This Post
I am doing the 3.1 thing right now, for the money, it is the best way to go, plus you can preserve the origal fiero intake, I am just portingmy exhaust manifolds to keep it stock looking. I ported the heads, all though little had to come out, I think if you watched your budget and pulled it yourself, you could get clost to that 200 hp range. And while you are in there, definately go with forged or hyper pistons for that occasional mustang or Z28 that decide to mess with you. I will have it dyno next month it should be back together by then
terryk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-1999 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for terrykSend a Private Message to terrykDirect Link to This Post
I guess it doesn't matter what the HP really is, rather what the car can spank! I'm starting to sounds defeatist and that was not my intention. Sorry.
88 Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-1999 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 FieroSend a Private Message to 88 FieroDirect Link to This Post
Hmmmm...if Pisa sells a complete 190HP for the fiero and the price is $3,500 for auto and $3,700 for the stick...I would buy the Design One Turbo and rebuilt my 2.8 co'z i would get 225HP...then save enough money and go with the 3.4 camaro block with the 9.1 compression and go forge on the parts including a Turbo Cam and Cross Drilled Crank along with the Stage 2 Kit of Design One...
lowCG

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-1999 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lowCGSend a Private Message to lowCGDirect Link to This Post
The 3.4,twincam motor will get a Monte Carcass down the quarter in around 14.4,so,since it weighs about 900-1000 pounds more than our cars...
High to mid thirteens wouldn't be out of the question.
Could it be that the horsepower ratings(not torque)be a bit higher than listed by GM?
This has happened before with other hi-po motors(DZ 302,Grand National).
Was thinking maybe 255-260,after figuring what the car should be able to do.
Hadn't really thought about the numbers either until now.
HotFieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-1999 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HotFieroGTSend a Private Message to HotFieroGTDirect Link to This Post
Great discussion on the 3.1 liter upgrade. I have an red 88 GT that blew an intake manifold gasket and got water in the oil and fried the crank and connecting rod bearings. Have the engine out and am stroking to a 3.1, am having the heads pocket ported next week, going to put the 3.4 Hipo cam .427 .454 lift from GM performance, and am going to port the exhaust manifolds (I'm sure you all read the same article as I did on that). Would like the FOCOA header but can't justify $550.00. Hope to get 175-180 hp. and around 190ft lbs of torque and drop 0 to 60 times to low 7's or (wishfull) high 6's Almost sold the car, but have too many memories in it. One of my ex's got pulled over one time and the guy asked to buy the car on the spot. Have come out to car with a note under windshield wiper wanted me to sell many times. Women come and go, but I will not get rid of my Fiero!

[This message has been edited by HotFieroGT (edited 10-15-1999).]

SCCA FIERO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-1999 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIERODirect Link to This Post
Amen!
88 Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-1999 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 FieroSend a Private Message to 88 FieroDirect Link to This Post
I just posted a info sheet on the "General Fiero Chat" under "3.1 Liter Turbo Conversion Kit"... Look at it and see if you find that interesting...
Eric

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-1999 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EricSend a Private Message to EricDirect Link to This Post
I'm doing the 3.1 thing and if I'm not satisfied with the new engine's performance, I'll strap a turbo to it's back. Stroker is working on a low cost kit that will provide a good boost to any Fiero's performace. I know I don't have to remind anyone on the long term reliability of a mildly boosted engine. Stoker has a 3.1 too, so this new system should be perfectly suited to my needs.
88 Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-1999 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 FieroSend a Private Message to 88 FieroDirect Link to This Post
As Miller-Woods illustrated... with the proper parts in doing a 3.1 liter conversion and adding a Turbo (StageII--knock sensor) you could get reliable 275+ HP in it.
HotFieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-1999 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HotFieroGTSend a Private Message to HotFieroGTDirect Link to This Post
I really like the 3.1 turbo conversion but am worried about how much the drivetrain can handle. I figure 30-35 hp and a small torque boost should be not problem, but 275+ hp is bound to put stress on the car it was not designed to handle. My dad put a corvair engine (140hp) in a beetle once and couldn't keep transaxles in it, I don't need that kind of headache.
PFF
System Bot
88 Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-1999 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 FieroSend a Private Message to 88 FieroDirect Link to This Post
HotFiero...if you have the 5-Speed Getrag it should pose no problem.. I also know another fiero gear head that have a '92 Corvette engine in his '88...the only thing that he found out is that the clutch frys alot till he got a custom clutch made for this fiero...The getrag gear can handle up to 300HP no more than that unless you plan to stick a basket underneath the car....{=o)
HotFieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-1999 02:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HotFieroGTSend a Private Message to HotFieroGTDirect Link to This Post
Unfortunately I have the automatic, the only way I would get rid of this car is if I found the same car with the 5 speed Getrag. Does anyone want to trade an 88 GT auto, for the same car with a stick?

[This message has been edited by HotFieroGT (edited 10-15-1999).]

terryk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-1999 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for terrykSend a Private Message to terrykDirect Link to This Post
The automatic is a slug, but for blowing on an engine, it is the best way to go. My 86 SE is an auto. Also, since I am in CA, engine swaps are almost always going to be automatics (for BAR certification). I consider my auto to be the better choice.

I'm glad I have an auto. Especially when it comes to rebuild time.

88 Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-1999 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 FieroSend a Private Message to 88 FieroDirect Link to This Post
HotFiero....terryk is right...most of the engine swaps are using auto tranny...don't under estimate a fiero auto tranny...I've also seen Fiero's with turbo with autos..they install shift kits and adjust their tranny as when to shift for maximum performance. Also I know a member in Ohio where he got a 70 shot Nitro on a Turbo Charge Fiero Stage II and did a killing in the low 13's with an auto tranny...So don't give up yet on your car... If for some reason you really want a 5-Speed Getrag or a 4-Speed Muncie...you can swap that tranny to your car...
88 Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-1999 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 FieroSend a Private Message to 88 FieroDirect Link to This Post

88 Fiero

488 posts
Member since Aug 99
HotFiero...If you are in the Southern Cal..and want to join a Fiero Club there is one out here....The name of the Club is "Fieros West".. Let me know or email so I could give you the Presidents email address...
HotFieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-1999 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HotFieroGTSend a Private Message to HotFieroGTDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the input on the Auto tranny stuff. I would like that SO. CAL. club info 88 Fiero, I live in Ventura, CA. I just recently joined FOCOA and toured their little Fiero museum. It's good to know these people exist so we can continue to get parts for these cars.

88 Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-1999 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 FieroSend a Private Message to 88 FieroDirect Link to This Post
HotFiero....I'm glad you'd join the FOCOA...Phil and Gloria are very helpful and knowleadgable about the Fiero...Have you visited them in Anaheim....Maybe oneday you should..alot of stuffs for the car and pictures... I will email you Anthony's email address..he is the President of the club..
HotFieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-1999 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HotFieroGTSend a Private Message to HotFieroGTDirect Link to This Post
Haven't had a chance to visit the new Anaheim site. 88 Fiero, do you have a red 88 GT with a turbo? A couple of months ago I was at FOCOA and there was one in the Fiero motorsports shop with the turbo partially installed, I thought I read something elsewhere where you had bought a turbo setup. If it is , great car!
88 Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-1999 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 FieroSend a Private Message to 88 FieroDirect Link to This Post
HotFiero...that '88 Red GT with the 300ZX Turbo is not mine. That car is Bob Yorks car. The turbo was originated from IFG in Chino. Realisticly...that Turbo Kit sucks!!! Bob blew his engine right away and he had Keith working on it...The car I believe have the 3.4 Camaro Block. It's intercooled Turbo with a shift kit that was ajdust to shift the way Bob wants to. Also, the Fiero has a Custom Headers in it... Very wicked Fiero.. It could leave a 6 Foot Skidmark in the ground. By the way "Anthony Sisneros" email address is wkfiro85@yahoo.com. He is the President of Fieros West. Just let him know that I introduce you to the Southern California Chapter...I know you'll have a great time and will learn alot about Fiero's. You will probably meet "TOM" too from this forum. Anyway let me know what you think....

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock