Cam selection for a 3.1 by pherder
Started on: 09-05-99 05:34 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: batboy on 09-11-1999 10:05 AM
pherder

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-1999 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pherderSend a Private Message to pherderDirect Link to This Post
I am about to replace my 2.8 in my Formula with a 3.1 out of a Lumina APC Van. While taking the 3.1 apart, I figured on replacing the cam and was wondering what cams people have used and their results.

I have a PAW catalog and it seems like there are a bunch of cams available other than the Crane Compucam. Has anyone tried any of these other cams?

I will be using the Formula as a driver so torque and mileage are more important than all out HP.

If I want to haul ... I have a GMC pickup ;^)

If I want more power, I have a HO Quad 4 in my other 88 Fiero.

If I want more power ... I have a bare 4 bolt mail 350 to be built ...

If I want to be real crazy, I can put back together the 3.8 Ford supercharged V6 in the 85 Fiero Coupe.

TIA!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
88 Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-1999 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 FieroSend a Private Message to 88 FieroDirect Link to This Post
if you are going to use this car for everyday driving then why don't you just rebuilt the 2.8 V6 and get a better cam...why go with the 3.1 and spend more money...just wondering???
CRAGAR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-1999 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CRAGARSend a Private Message to CRAGARDirect Link to This Post
I agree with 88! I replaced my 2.8 with a 3.1 out of the APV Lumina van and have spent very close to $2k. I'm not sure I'd do it again, I'll still looking for the fantastic power claims that FOCOA made for this swap.
88 Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-1999 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 FieroSend a Private Message to 88 FieroDirect Link to This Post
actually....if you want to notice some power go with the 3.4 block of the camaro...I've been in a fiero with this 3.4 and headers and mann!! you can feel it...now...how about a turbo charge to go with it.....
pherder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-1999 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pherderSend a Private Message to pherderDirect Link to This Post
Because I got a 3.1 for $400 w/30K miles on it and I believe the 2.8 I have has a rod knock.

So the 2.8 might have to have a crank and it has a lot of miles on it so boring it and putting pistons may be necessary.

The 2.8 would be more costly to rebuild than just transplating the 3.1 and althought I looked into the 3.4, I couldn't find one for less than $850 and that had 50K miles on it!

batboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-1999 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
Long duration cams make more horsepower at redline, but shorter duration cams give you better low end torque. Any cam that will work well with the computer (like the CompuCam) should make a good street cam. Let me know which cams you're looking at and I'll run them through my Desktop Dyno computer program to see which one gives you the best torque numbers. I do have a PAW catalog.

About the heads. Most of those 3.1 engines had low performance heads. The Fiero 2.8 heads are a High Output (HO) head that has bigger valves than the standard head. I'd use the 2.8 Fiero heads (rebuilt of course) on the 3.1 engine. Another slick trick is to find a pair of special HO 3.4 heads off a Camaro, they have even bigger exhaust valves than the Fiero heads.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock