3.1 V6 doesn't pull well to redline by CRAGAR
Started on: 08-31-99 01:11 PM
Replies: 12
Last post by: Beaverman on 09-03-99 02:46 PM
CRAGAR

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-1999 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CRAGARSend a Private Message to CRAGARDirect Link to This Post
I recently replaced my 2.8 with a junkyard Lumina APV van 3.1 V6. I used the FOCOA conversion kit which included a flywheel, timing chain/gear kit and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. The engine is installed and running. The f.p. regulator is adjusted to 42 psi (indicated at full throttle). My problem is that the motor has excellent mid-range power but falls on its face after 4000 rpm. It will pull to redline but it seems like an eternity to get there. I've tried both the stock and FOCOA HP computer chip, no difference. The exhaust looks a little rich to me. I've removed the ceramic interior from the catalytic converter. The muffler is not blocked. I've inspected the entire air intake and filtration system, running the engine without the filter. No difference is evident. I'm concerned about the in-tank fuel pump. What's it gallons per minute spec? How can I determine if the injectors are clogged, blocked or are just not up to the job? Any other suggestions of things I can test or check, without just replacing stuff??? I'm getting desparate.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Greg Piet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-1999 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg PietClick Here to visit Greg Piet's HomePageSend a Private Message to Greg PietDirect Link to This Post
I thought the 2.8 distributor got wonky at high RPM. Is it the same distributor? THat may explain it.
CRAGAR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-1999 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CRAGARSend a Private Message to CRAGARDirect Link to This Post
Greg, yes it's the 2.8 distributor with 100,000 miles on it! I'm assuming that if the bearings are tight that it should be ok.
ezsurf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-1999 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ezsurfSend a Private Message to ezsurfDirect Link to This Post
The stock 2.8 coil is weak after 4000 rpm. I don't believe there is a problem with the distributer. I'd go with an MSD coil.
batboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-1999 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
I vote for weak spark too.
sid1200

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-1999 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sid1200Send a Private Message to sid1200Direct Link to This Post
Also take into account that the Lumina van 3.1 was a low perfomance , low rev version that only made 120hp, which could expain it
GREENDANO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-1999 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GREENDANOSend a Private Message to GREENDANODirect Link to This Post
You need more fuel pressure.
42 lbs is almost stock.
I have my 3.2 at 48 PSI at WOT.
It pulls untill it shifts
Dan-O
Shaun41178

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
User Banned

Report this Post09-01-1999 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shaun41178Send a Private Message to Shaun41178Direct Link to This Post
i would have to agree with what sid said and that the engien is not a high performance engine like the fiero engine. I don't think it has the same camshaft and because of this the redline in the 3.1 minivan engine is lower the the stock Fiero of 6k rpm. The lumina engine might have a redline of 5500 or so and when it starts getting up to 4000 or so it starts to get slow cause teh valvetrain was not designed to turn such high rpm.

however I do believe that the lumina engien came with more the 120 hp. If it only had 120 hp then that isn't much for a minivan designed to haul 6 people. I would say that engien is rated at 160 hp but the valvetrain isn't meant to turn high rpm and that is the cause of the dropoff in power not the ignition coil.

Dale

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-1999 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DaleSend a Private Message to DaleDirect Link to This Post
Also check the timing curv. chek the max deg. @4000 rpm maybe you are not getting enough advance
terryk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-1999 06:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for terrykSend a Private Message to terrykDirect Link to This Post
Is it the APV 3.1L TBI? Did you swap it into a V6 Fiero? If so, then the fuel pressure is too high. The V6 uses 45 PSI. The TBI engine uses 15 PSI.

The Dust Busters never had a MPFI 3.1L only the TBI. They switched to the 3.8L SFI as an option in 92.

So I would say the FP is too high. Now, if you started with an L4 Fiero, it should be ok.

terryk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-1999 06:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for terrykSend a Private Message to terrykDirect Link to This Post

terryk

2923 posts
Member since Aug 99
Ooops. You switched to the lower end of an APV 3.1L right? Used the Fiero intake and fueling?

Sorry. dumbass here.

PFF
System Bot
CRAGAR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-1999 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CRAGARSend a Private Message to CRAGARDirect Link to This Post
Guys, thanks for all of your reply's. It gives me alot to think about. I think, this weekend, I'll crank up the fuel pressure to 48 psi and see what happens. Yes, I did install the MPFI from the 2.8 on to the 3.1. My 100,000 mile distributor just gave up the ghost (ignition module), so I put in a rebuilt NAPA one last nite. Now, all that I need to do is check the timing.

Is 38 degrees@4000 rpm, the max advance?

Beaverman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-1999 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BeavermanSend a Private Message to BeavermanDirect Link to This Post
Make sure you used your 2.8 heads... But you main problem (other than crappy spark) would be that damned mini-van cam...

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock