200HP 2.8 rebuilt NO TURBO! by biggdaddy
Started on: 08-20-99 09:34 PM
Replies: 22
Last post by: 88 Fiero on 08-31-99 09:21 PM
biggdaddy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-1999 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for biggdaddySend a Private Message to biggdaddyDirect Link to This Post
I have been talking with a company in Ontario canada (RS Motorsport) That sells performance rebuilt 2.8`s with headers and the works. They sell for around 1000 USD, sounds like a great deal to me, Anyone think otherwise? Please let me know as I am near to the purchasing of it.I will have more details on what exactly is in it soon, I won`t buy it unless it has a nice cam, port work, and a few other goodies. I also have two of my own 2.8 stock engines that I will try to trade off in the transaction.

They also make 3.1`s and higher with turbos and supers for anyone interested.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dave85

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-1999 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave85Send a Private Message to Dave85Direct Link to This Post
I too have been eyeballing that. 200 hp sounds good. I wonder if it has forged pistons? Just think what you could do with alittle NOS. I was pricing parts from the Fiero Store and I'm up to $1370.
biggdaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-1999 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for biggdaddySend a Private Message to biggdaddyDirect Link to This Post
I was pricing Fierostore also and I`m up to 1600$!! Don`t forget the headers!!! They sell their performance upgrade kit for 900$ with no headers. You have to port it yourself and do all the work yourself too!!!! I like saving time, so I can go rice-a-roni hunting ASAP. I`m already killing the civics with my 1999 Altima SE. (150HP, Sports suspension, aloy wheels) But I`m anxious ot get at em with a good ol western wagon!
lowCG

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-1999 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lowCGSend a Private Message to lowCGDirect Link to This Post
Just feels better,huh?
G25C

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-1999 05:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for G25CSend a Private Message to G25CDirect Link to This Post
I have looked at a site that advertises up to 300 reliable hp out of a 2.8, but they dont say what they do to it, or how much they cost. They say that when you get it, its ready to put in. I'll try and find it again.
RFMike

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-1999 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RFMikeSend a Private Message to RFMikeDirect Link to This Post
What's the warranty on the RSM engine? Is $1,000 for the 200hp motor? Keep us posted if you go ahead. I'm sure there are a lot of us out there that would be interested. 200 hp for a grand, in a "new" motor? With the amount of miles I put on in a year, I have only one question. Where do I sign?
biggdaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-1999 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for biggdaddySend a Private Message to biggdaddyDirect Link to This Post
YES, $1000 is for the 200hp engine. They also sell a 3.2 with 220 hp for something around $1500-$1600. I`m still waiting for a reply from them to find out exactly what is in that sucker, I`ll keep you all posted.
biggdaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-1999 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for biggdaddySend a Private Message to biggdaddyDirect Link to This Post

biggdaddy

44 posts
Member since Aug 99
By the way, 300 hp out of a 2.8 is almost impossible without NOS, or an unlimited amount of $$$ of course!
four50four

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-1999 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for four50fourClick Here to visit four50four's HomePageSend a Private Message to four50fourDirect Link to This Post
let's see...

this is the picture they give at the website.
heres the URL http://webhome.idirect.com/~rsm1/

Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-1999 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilDirect Link to This Post
Just one question. Will it pass emmisions(testing "is" coming to all states soon)? Something to consider.
Formula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-1999 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaDirect Link to This Post
how much does it cost to ship an engine from there to say pittsburgh?
PFF
System Bot
lowCG

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-1999 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lowCGSend a Private Message to lowCGDirect Link to This Post
If in a year they're still in business,the motors hold up,and the prices are the same,I might check it out,if I haven't installed my $1500 4cam that is.
biggdaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-1999 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for biggdaddySend a Private Message to biggdaddyDirect Link to This Post
I don`t know what the shipping charges are , but I intend to go pick it up and make a little road-trip out of it. The company has been in business for a while now, and I`ll find out soon all the info about what`s in it, what the `starting at $1000` means and the likes.
avngr97

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-1999 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avngr97Send a Private Message to avngr97Direct Link to This Post
I have already talked to RS and they told me that the 1000$ US is a plain rebuilt 2.8. If you want the 200hp you will end up spending a little over 2200$ US for it. I can't remember the exact figure they quoted me (its been a while since I spoke with them) but it was pretty close to what I told you. Sorry if I burst anyone's bubble but I was pretty heartbroken when I talked to them too. Their site really is misleading as far as the pricing.
RFMike

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-1999 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RFMikeSend a Private Message to RFMikeDirect Link to This Post
Dagnabit, I was all set to go for it. I e-mailed RS M, but haven't gotten a reply. I guess the old saying, "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is", still applies.
RFMike

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-1999 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RFMikeSend a Private Message to RFMikeDirect Link to This Post
Finally got a response to my e-mail. This is what 200hp will cost from RSM.
Hello!

The price on the site includes a long block, to achieve the 200 HP you will
need the following mods:
-performance cam $300
-1.6 roller rocker arms $225/set
-harder valve springs and keepers $190/set
-high flow injectors $510/set
-high volume fuel pump $195
-larger throttle body $249
-ignition system & performance coil $400
-forged high compression pistons $700/set

We also have a bolt-on supercharger (no A/C on the car) that will give you
70+ HP at the wheels and we will be posting Dyno results on the site next
week.
We have been in business for 7 years and build and race Fieros.
The engines are built on order and the waiting period is about 4 weeks. The
warranty is 1 year on all our engines (unless it is race prepared).
Shipping is about $300.00 .

Regards

Zsolt
RS Motorsport

Cooter

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-1999 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterDirect Link to This Post
Let's see if my second grade math can figure this out. . . price and shipping is $3069. That is not a bargin! For that much, I believe that I would get the v8 Archie kit and pick up a late model z-28 engine and have a little more than 200 horsepower and have spending money left over.
Dale

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-1999 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DaleSend a Private Message to DaleDirect Link to This Post
For gas!!!
Shaun41178

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
User Banned

Report this Post08-31-1999 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shaun41178Send a Private Message to Shaun41178Direct Link to This Post
$490 for a more aggresive cam then stock and the matching springs and retainers? Please that is such a ripoff. This cam made out of gold? They say they build the engines to order so it is not like they are doing any more labor then with a stock rebuild when adding a higher lift cam so why is them so expensive? I can get a good high lift cam for $99. Matching springs and retainers for and other small valvetrain bits for anotehr $99. That is only $200. Where is the other $290 going? It shouldn't be going to extra labor.

$195 for a larger fuel pump? You still have to install it. Talk about an expensive fuel pump.

$225 for roller tipped rockers? You can get comp cams 1.6 rockers designed for the 2.8 from jegs for $130. So it costs an extra $100 in labor to install these rockers over the stock ones? whatever.

$510 for high flow injectors? Talk about a rip off. They are probably using 19# an hour injectors at the most and you can get a set of 8 from jegs for $439 and with the ones from RS you only get 6 and I am unsure if the ones they provide are even 19# an hour.

Ignition and coil for $400???? Outrageous!! I got my crane ignition and coil and accel wires all for $200 from summit. The ignition and coil were $150. Its not like they are doing labor to install that ignition casue you are doing it. Huge profit margin there.

Larger throttle body? I have never heard of one being used on the Fiero. Exactly where does this larger TB come from or is it a ported factory Fiero TB? HMMm makes me wonder there.

Now if al these prices are canadien which I doubt then I will retract much of what I say about how much they are charging but even if these are canadien prices they are still making a huge profit off of all these parts and giving you the same parts that you can buy from summit or jegs for a lot less.

Now the supercharger is what I am interested in. I too have thought about dropping my a/c since it doesn't work and mounting a supercharger there with a bracket of some sort and a belt from the a/c or a different belt somehow. I wonder how much this supercharger kit? will cost. Is it a kit or just a supercharger they provide?

The headers in the pic here look just like the ones provided by Chris West of West Coast Fieros if i am not mistaken.

I am not trying to say that you should not spend your money with this company cause I am sure they do a good job but they sure do charge a hell of a lot of money for the parts they provide that you could get at much cheaper. Later, nice day to all.

loafer87gt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-1999 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for loafer87gtSend a Private Message to loafer87gtDirect Link to This Post
Yes, these funds are in Canadian dollars. I have talked to Zsolt and Nelson at the RS motorsports (formerly the Fiero Shop)several times and their prices are in line with the other business IMHO. The crew there know their stuff. They were even on the Motor Trend Fiero special (anybody else see that) showing off some of their swaps and work. I am eagerly awaiting picking up one of their supercharger kits. The rotrex unit they are using is actually a belt driven TURBOCHARGER that has had rave reviews from the aftermarket community. It gives you the benfit of a turbo without the lag. Very exciting.
loafer87gt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-1999 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for loafer87gtSend a Private Message to loafer87gtDirect Link to This Post

loafer87gt

5480 posts
Member since Aug 99
By the way, their price for the Supercharger kit is 3900 Canadian and 600 if you want it installed. Prices are in Canadian funds.

PFF
System Bot
RFMike

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-1999 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RFMikeSend a Private Message to RFMikeDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, I should have noted that the prices in that e-mail were Canadian dollars. Life's been hectic; I just dropped in the e-mail. That's still a lot of cash.
88 Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-1999 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 FieroSend a Private Message to 88 FieroDirect Link to This Post
The Rotrex Supercharger that RSM is selling is basically a compressor in which half is from a turbo unit. You can buy the Rotrex itself from EIP Tuning for $1,500.00. Also, the Rotrex size is the same size of the '90's Mustangs alternator...so figure that....{=o)

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock