Intake Scoop by ezsurf
Started on: 08-20-99 06:29 PM
Replies: 18
Last post by: 88 Fiero on 08-31-99 08:53 PM
ezsurf

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-1999 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ezsurfSend a Private Message to ezsurfDirect Link to This Post

I'm getting ready to re-work the intake to the air box. The only air scoop I've seen is the one made by Holly. I don't even know if the Holly scoop is still made. Does anyone know of another type of air scoop, or know one that they would recommend?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
terryk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-1999 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for terrykSend a Private Message to terrykDirect Link to This Post
For looks? The Holley.

For performance, leave it stock.

DXR_DAD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-1999 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DXR_DADSend a Private Message to DXR_DADDirect Link to This Post
EZ, I have been lookin into this also. I have done different mods to my intake, K&N, tube, cone filter at the inlet but no scoop.
Some people say it helps some say it is no different than stock. What is your insite on this? What is your re-work mod? Also I am putting on a rear deck lid scoop to help remove the heat, side scoops would help this to.

Thanks, I need all the help I can get.

DXR_DAD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-1999 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DXR_DADSend a Private Message to DXR_DADDirect Link to This Post

DXR_DAD

2440 posts
Member since Mar 99
EZ,

I think Fiero Heaven has a holly style side scoop.

ezsurf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-1999 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ezsurfSend a Private Message to ezsurfDirect Link to This Post
DXR,
I got an idea from someone online who was going to the hardware store in an attempt to find some plumbing fittings to modify the intake. I was at the hardware store yesterday picking up some other items, so I glanced through the plumbing section. I quickly found a 3 in. dia. 90 degree fitting that looked like it would work fine. First, I was planning to remove the stock intake in the body panel. Then, I had planned to attach this 90 degree piece to the bottom of the stock airbox in the engine bay leading into the body. Next, I was going to try and find a piece that was the same diameter as the stock hole on the outer body panel. Then connect the Holley scoop on to this piece. All I would need to do then is find a piece of flex-tubing and two hose clamps, and I should be in business. This is how it looks on paper anyway. IF everything is the right size and the parts mesh together, it should be easy. My primary concern with the stock intake system is the outer cover plate vent. I would have to get a ruler and measure the area of each slit. If there isn't sufficient area to move air past this plate, it's going to hold the engine back. This plate may be fine at idle, but what about at half or full throttle. The air box behind the body panel (the one with the baffle plates to keep water out) is a large maze which can not make breathing any easier. Removing it reduces weight, and shortens the intake system as well. This is the basic idea. Within the next week, (time permitting) I'll find out if it will work or not. I'll let you know - ez.
Bruce

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-1999 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceDirect Link to This Post
Whatever happened to the guy who was going to injection-mold a replica of the Holley scoop?
DXR_DAD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-1999 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DXR_DADSend a Private Message to DXR_DADDirect Link to This Post
Whats up Bruce, Its not fiero heaven, its FOCOA that has the scoop, I saw it listed on their web-site today $30.00.

PS. lets set up a meet?

ezsurf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-1999 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ezsurfSend a Private Message to ezsurfDirect Link to This Post
I found a set up that will work. The plumbing fittings wouldn't fit, nothing was the right size. I wanted to use brake duct tubing (like you see on winston cup cars), but the only thing I could find was in 10ft lenghts and cost $45. After looking around, I wasn't finding anything. I finally stumbled on to 3in semi-rigid flexible aluminum duct tubing at the hardware store. After a slight modification, it fit right in. You need one 3in hose clamp, one 3in x 8 ft flexible aluminum duct tubing, and a tube of RTV. First I removed the intake box forward of the wheel well. Next, I cut the tubing to length and fastened one end to the bottom of the air box using the hose clamp, and used RTV to attach the other end to the intake boot. You have to stretch and flatten out approx one inch of the aluminum tube at both ends. This expands the ends slightly and allows you to slip the tube over the base of the air box, and over the intake boot. The intake boot took a little extra time. I applied RTV to the outside of the boot, then to the inside of the tube. After joining the two, I applied another layer of RTV to the outside of the aluminum tube where the tube and the boot meet. I'm still fixing other problems right now, so I haven't ran the engine yet, but it should work fine. After looking closely at the intake plate, it's not quite as restrictive as it looks, so for now I'm going to leave it. Besides, even with an air scoop, the base of the air box is going to limit the amount of air coming in whether you have an air scoop or not. The total cost for this mod was about $10. I think it will be well worth it. - ez
Racer 1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-1999 01:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Racer 1Send a Private Message to Racer 1Direct Link to This Post
I tried to put PVC across instead of the ugly airbox.I ran into problems with the fuel tube being in the way.I just cut the intake box all the way thru to the other side then took a dremel and made a big rect opening!
DJRice

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 55
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-1999 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DJRiceSend a Private Message to DJRiceDirect Link to This Post
I havent heard from the guy who was making the replica in quite a while. The last I heard, he had not gotten enough interest in the scoop yet to continue production.
88 Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-1999 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 FieroSend a Private Message to 88 FieroDirect Link to This Post
ezsurf....there are alot of fiero after market companies that makes the scoop for the fiero and different designs too. Like the pontiac style scoop that applies both sides of the car..The mecham style and holley. I would buy either the mecham and pontiac style because of the big openings. Also take out the air box and plumb some piping for a ram air style intake. I went to a local muffler shop and paid them $35.00 to custom make me a ram air and I have a k&n filter at the end of it. car runs really good. I also a a chip and a cam...my freind Keith Huff at Fiero Motorsports will be making this Ram Air tubes soon ....so hold on or make one to yourself...
PFF
System Bot
DXR_DAD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-1999 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DXR_DADSend a Private Message to DXR_DADDirect Link to This Post
"88" What is the tube made of. Do you have any type of heat deflector around the filter or tube?
DXR_WILL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-1999 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DXR_WILLSend a Private Message to DXR_WILLDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone tried to use a Ice Man Intake System. They use some kind of plasic thats suppose to be heat resistant. I know they don't make one for the Fiero but if you go to their website(knightengineering.com) they have pictures of every intake system they make.
88 Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-1999 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 FieroSend a Private Message to 88 FieroDirect Link to This Post
DXR....I think it will be made with aluminum pipe. There is no heat shield in it because it's not close to any of the exhaust manifold of the car. When you drive your car with one of this...you can hear your car breathing...mine does....
88 Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-1999 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 FieroSend a Private Message to 88 FieroDirect Link to This Post

88 Fiero

488 posts
Member since Aug 99
By the way DXR...I forgot to mentioned that the air filter itself or the cone filter is not inside the engine compartment. Once you've taken out the air box and it's plumbing..you will notice you have a hole on the side of the wall... You extend your plumbing out and angle downward where you could stick your cone fileter... Now the air is being drawn from your stock fiero scoop on the side or after market like mecham and pontiac's own design... For all fiero freaks out there that wants a little more power...this can help...trust me...I have one... :-)
DXR_DAD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-1999 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DXR_DADSend a Private Message to DXR_DADDirect Link to This Post
"88" keep me posted on Keith`s progress with this ram-air thing, but in the mean time I will try yours.

Thanks!!

88 Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-1999 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 FieroSend a Private Message to 88 FieroDirect Link to This Post
Cool!!! DXR...that's one investment that you won't regret!!! You will really hear how the fiero breathes. But be sure to bring your car to your muffler place co'z you need to measure the whole thing with a wire hanger. be sure you take out the left top grill. Also be sure if locate an extra air cleaner housing. reason for that is because you need the nut that holds the sensor. you want this nut to be cut out of the factory air housing and weld it to the ram air pipe. and also that goes with the rear breather of the car... let me know when you are done and tell me if you notice any change...good luck!!!
SloPonti

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-1999 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SloPontiSend a Private Message to SloPontiDirect Link to This Post
i tried calling f.o.c.c.a and nobody seems to answer the phone over there and i also tried to purchase and contact them by email and that mailer-damon thing returned my email and said that user no longer exists! i really want that holley side scoop-can anyone help??
thanks
88 Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-1999 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 FieroSend a Private Message to 88 FieroDirect Link to This Post
Slo...FOCOA hasa move to a new location..their is:
FOCOA
1598 South Anaheim Boulevard, Unit B
Anaheim, CA 92805

Tel. No. 714-917-2007
Fax No. 714-917-2161

I know them personally and visit them all the time.... {=o)

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock