3.1 injectors in the 2.8 by Pretender
Started on: 08-15-99 05:01 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: terryk on 08-20-99 09:59 PM
Pretender

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-1999 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PretenderClick Here to visit Pretender's HomePageSend a Private Message to PretenderDirect Link to This Post
do they squirt more fuel and do they fit?..pro's and cons please!...thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
LEE498

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-1999 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LEE498Click Here to visit LEE498's HomePageSend a Private Message to LEE498Direct Link to This Post
I have a set of 3.1 injecters in
mine,out of an 91 corsica an they work
fine....
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-1999 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
even if they are capable of greater flow than the originals, the ECM would simply drop the pulse timing to keep the mix from going rich. I don't think they will matter under most conditions.

where they may help, if they flow better, is at higher RPM.

terryk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-1999 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for terrykSend a Private Message to terrykDirect Link to This Post
I thought they were the same size 16 or 18 lb. At cruise, no change. At wot, more fuel which may actually slow the car down. The acceleration enrichment will give you an initial seat-of-the-pants feeling of more power, but when power enrichment takes over, it will likely be the same or slower. GM actually runs the engines a bit rich to cool the cylinders. Leaning them out usually gives more power, but you risk burning the pistons or valves. That's why the 800mV rule rules.
RICK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-1999 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RICKSend a Private Message to RICKDirect Link to This Post
I'm planning to use a 100-125 HP nitrous on my 2.8. (The engine is being built to handle this extra) I have been told the only problem that I may have is at boost the engine my run lean. One thing I have done to help some of this is upgraded the fuel pump to a Holley high volume fuel pump. My question is, if I run the other injectors that you are taking about (from the 3.1)with the nitrous on would the biger injectors help keep if from leaning out at WOT?
terryk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-1999 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for terrykSend a Private Message to terrykDirect Link to This Post
Find a (preferably) analog voltmeter with a 1V range. Connect it to the O2 sensor. Do some WOT runs. If the O2 drops below .8V, you need to enrichen the fuel.

For safety's sake, do this to three O2's and use the one that reads the lowest.

Cooter

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-1999 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterDirect Link to This Post
terryk- you really made a good point about reading the O2 with a voltmeter. Before I added the fuel injection to my Suburban, I used an O2 sensor and volt meter to check for proper jetting in the carb. It really came in handy because out of the box, my Holly was WAY too rich for max power and economy. Using the sensor is a great tuning tool- I used one on my kart engines to set the jetting. It is a whole lot cheaper than the EGT gauge and did the same thing.
terryk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-1999 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for terrykSend a Private Message to terrykDirect Link to This Post
I use the O2 religiously, but keep in mind that it is a "bang-bang" sensor meaning it will be above .456V when rich and below .456V when lean, but how rich or how lean, it doesn't know and the output can vary wildly between sensors for any given AFR. The only thing you can count on is:

1. It will read right at .456V at stoich (14.7:1).

2. In the 800-1000mV range, it's pretty close to 13.8-12.5:1. That's why the 800mV rule rules. Without an EGT, further AFR tuning is impossible.

I will tell you that the 2.8L engine really likes about 12.8:1. Any leaner and the cylinder temps get pretty high.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock